360 engine fuel injection line conundrum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend of mine has a 2000 ram 4x4 with a 360 engine as do I. Well anyway, the crossover line connecting the fuel rails at the rear of the engine cracked and sprayed fuel all over the place. He said it feels like plastic but I believe it was really rubber and just dry rotted from heat and age. It appears to have no clamp on either end and there is no replacement according to the dealer or aftermarket stores. I must then guess that (we) could use a piece of high pressure fuel line to repair it. Am I correct in my assumption or just another victim of a delusion. Please help as I ain't getting any younger.
Thanx in advance! :emotions122:

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend of mine has a 2000 ram 4x4 with a 360 engine as do I. Well anyway, the crossover line connecting the fuel rails at the rear of the engine cracked and sprayed fuel all over the place. He said it feels like plastic but I believe it was really rubber and just dry rotted from heat and age. It appears to have no clamp on either end and there is no replacement according to the dealer or aftermarket stores. I must then guess that (we) could use a piece of high pressure fuel line to repair it. Am I correct in my assumption or just another victim of a delusion. Please help as I ain't getting any younger.
Thanx in advance! :emotions122:
You can and clamp it. Or what I did on a customer's vehicle. I took the "plastic fuel line" I can't remember the size but found a size a hair smaller, heated the ends up pressed it onto the fuel rails. The factory line is of the plastic variety

OP
OP
multimopes

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your reply; that's what we will most likely do. I read somewhere that earlier ones used a braided nylon material,(which also failed over time). I also understand that the actual fuel rails are quite thin and not to clamp too tightly. I'm guessing it might use 1/4" line. I looked at mine a little closer and it appears that some little varmint was chewing on it in one place. That said I will replace mine too. Thanks again and also "Thank You for your service, sir!"

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your reply; that's what we will most likely do. I read somewhere that earlier ones used a braided nylon material,(which also failed over time). I also understand that the actual fuel rails are quite thin and not to clamp too tightly. I'm guessing it might use 1/4" line. I looked at mine a little closer and it appears that some little varmint was chewing on it in one place. That said I will replace mine too. Thanks again and also "Thank You for your service, sir!"
Some fuel rails were metal, some were plastic. Yeah don't clamp it to tight lol. I used the nylon fuel line to make it look factory as I didn't want to see the clamps. I tried seeing if there was a part number just for the hose, but it's part os the fuel rails. You could buy them but I wouldn't.
The thank you should be for you guys giving us a reason to fight. :)

OP
OP
multimopes

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think I ever saw a plastic fuel rail. I assumed it would be rubber supply lines to some kind of metal near the engine entry point. The other thought I had was since this just kind of loops over the rear of the manifold, connecting the two rails, maybe it would be beneficial to slide it through some kind of heat shielding like that braded stuff they use around sparkplug wires when they are in too close of a proximity to headers. I know the intake manifold on my 05 Neon is plastic. I just hope I haven't been ingesting traces of BPA for the last 15 years or so, from the plastic A/C ductwork, LOL!
:signs16:

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
only 97 had plastic rails. that line should be rubber. factory wasn't clamped but you'll prob need to cut the remnants off and clamp a new one on

OP
OP
multimopes

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you both for replying; all we need now is a fairly warm day without rain when I am not at work, lol.

OP
OP
multimopes

multimopes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update,
Did the repair on Saturday and all went well. Turned out the original line was plastic underneath rubber. I never saw that before. We used 1/4" high pressure fuel line and high pressure clamps. It was a pain in the ass due to location but worked out well! Thanx again for the advice! :)