3rd gen regret

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
i have an 04 standard cab short bed 4.7l. i love this truck and would not ask for anything better, i love the body style and i love the look before the facelift a little better. i'm not saying i regret it but being i am a modder... i would like a hemi so i could do long tubes cams and a couple other common mods... but i have held off and done cosmetic mods to sooth the need. but like i said i still love the 4.7l cuz i can still smoke those little POS ricers. and that's all that matters to me

ninedayfall75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I love my 2008 3rd Gen. Great truck. I think the body lines on the 3rd Gen's are classic.

If you're going to tune the truck, go with a 2004 or newer. Tuning the transmission works for those years. Good luck with your search!

What is the process of tuning for an 04, or newer? Sorry for my naivete.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
this maybe a bit of a funny post but oh well. I am in the market for a truck and have found that 3rd gens are in my price range. Now I know the answer I will get from majority of people is "if you want a 4th gen, save up". I do however want a 4th gen but I am good with a 3rd gen as well.

What I wanna know is if you have a 3rd gen and regret getting but please include WHY. Or if you prefer the 02 to 05 or 06 to 08

prolly not relavent, but I remember when they first came out in the late 90's....these trucks were the rage and lucky to get for a price at the time. Now we are here, 16 years later, and now we can score not only a 1st gen but a 2nd or 3rd as well. my point is now we have some great used trucks to be had that was simply not available in 98.......I have a 3rd gen and I have no regrets, fastest, most reliable truck I ever owned.........(every machine has it's problems, ya just have to take care of what you have)

Guido2112

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles do you have on your 05, if you don't mind me asking. That's the year I am currently trying to buy.

Thanks!

I have 122,000 on my 05 with the Hemi. Only problem was a leaking power steering cooler. Cost me $50.00 and I replaced it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 38

Jacagard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 04 QC with a 4.7 that I bought about 6 months ago. It currently has 72k miles on it. So far my only "regret" is not looking around to get one with a hemi in it. The 4.7 so far has done everything i've needed it to do and it should do everything I'll need in the future, however the 5.7 would simply do it better.

Right after i bought mine, i wished it was an 06 so itd have the updated front end. Then the more I saw the 06-08s I realized I liked the 02-05 nose better.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So I bought both my 3rd gen and 4th gen new....Only regret I have with the 3rd gen was using lift pucks on front instead of springs. ...Ultimately I bought the 4th gen because of mileage and I found the 4th gen just built ALOT nicer....

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the process of tuning for an 04, or newer? Sorry for my naivete.

Basically you purchase a handheld programmer like Superchips. Plug it into the OBD port and tune the truck. The tuning process is pretty easy.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Love the 5.7L. I have done a fair amount of towing with it and it has always performed well. Only regret is not getting a 2500 because it does sag in the rear with a heavy load. Maybe I'll add springs to it some day since I am planning on keeping this truck forever.

Last edited:

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Totally regret buying this lump. Should've bought another 4th gen.
Too late now because I'm upside down on value. I'd lose 2k if I sold it now. Only had it a week or so and already through a couple grand at it. Now it seems I'm gonna hafta put an engine in it.
I'm stuck with it for now. I hate the 4.7

I can see it already...I'm gonna have 10 grand invested in $4500 truck on it's best day. What a kick in the nuts.

mrfyram1500

2024 1500 Laramie
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only issue that seems common among the 3rd gens is the hvac doors breaking. Can be very labor intensive (= $$$$$) to fix. I had an '04 sport qc 2wd Hemi. Great runner. Traded it for an '08 SLT qc 4x4 4.7. Traded that for my current ride, an '08 Laramie qc 4x4 Hemi. Had the hvac issue with the first two. Holding my breath on the current one. Still a great truck overall.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
The only issue that seems common among the 3rd gens is the hvac doors breaking. Can be very labor intensive (= $$$$$) to fix. I had an '04 sport qc 2wd Hemi. Great runner. Traded it for an '08 SLT qc 4x4 4.7. Traded that for my current ride, an '08 Laramie qc 4x4 Hemi. Had the hvac issue with the first two. Holding my breath on the current one. Still a great truck overall.
any chance of a spray on fix?? What exactly happens??

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
04 RCSB 5.7

Only real thing I regret is not holding out an getting one with power options an nicer interior, but oh well.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I'm starting to believe technology sucks. Remember the good ole days where all you needed to keep in your trunk was a hammer, duct tape and a coat hanger and you could fix almost anything. These newer vehicles with all the computerized electronic crap is really starting to **** me off.

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only regret I have with my 08 1500 hemi is that it isn't a 4x4. I love the third gen truck a lot. I do own a 2nd gen 2500 cummins 4x4 and even though I love my second gen the third gen truck is a lot more refined. I'm considering getting rid of both my 2nd gen and my 2wd 3rd gen and purchasing a low mile 3rd gen 1500 4x4. I don't need two trucks or a 3/4 ton diesel anymore but I would like to have 4wd still.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
The only regret I have with my 08 1500 hemi is that it isn't a 4x4. I love the third gen truck a lot. I do own a 2nd gen 2500 cummins 4x4 and even though I love my second gen the third gen truck is a lot more refined. I'm considering getting rid of both my 2nd gen and my 2wd 3rd gen and purchasing a low mile 3rd gen 1500 4x4. I don't need two trucks or a 3/4 ton diesel anymore but I would like to have 4wd still.

you had duct tape?!....lucky *******...

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Late to the party, but 3rd gen FTW!!! Loved my 04. Had 72k on it when I got it. Sold it with 116k. Just bought my 06 and am happy with it as well. I like the way the 4th gens look, but can't justify the extra money at this point. Plus don't want to play with the nasty 6.7.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I have no BIG complaints......I love my truck...

Red08TRX4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Totally regret buying this lump. Should've bought another 4th gen.
Too late now because I'm upside down on value. I'd lose 2k if I sold it now. Only had it a week or so and already through a couple grand at it. Now it seems I'm gonna hafta put an engine in it.
I'm stuck with it for now. I hate the 4.7

I can see it already...I'm gonna have 10 grand invested in $4500 truck on it's best day. What a kick in the nuts.

What is wrong with it. If you have only had it a week did you not have it checked out before? I bought my 08 used and love it. Of course I would like a 4th gen but the finances just didn't allow for it. Some day. I hope you are able to get your truck fixed up without to much additional investment in it.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
What is wrong with it. If you have only had it a week did you not have it checked out before I bought my 08 used and love it. Of course I would like a 4th gen but the finances just didn't allow for it. Some day. I hope you are able to get your truck fixed up without to much additional investment in it.

Had it checked. Bought it from my father. Didn't realize the extent of the 4.7 issues. It still runs, runs real good actually but...has the cold clack, the intermittent oil pressure drop, found wicked amounts of sludge present doing exploratory surgery and it's got just over 100k which from what I've read is where they typically let go. I need reliability and dependability, period. I do not trust this motor. Until you really research this particular motor, on the surface it has the illusion of being a good running motor for the mileage. As of right now I'm leaning towards putting a new, upgraded 4.7 in it. I might change my mind tomorrow. I hafta crunch numbers and weigh the pros against cons of keeping it and doing a motor or trying to get rid of it and getting something else, which could be another entirely new set of headaches and stress. I have fallen in love with this truck, everything about it other than the 4.7 nonsense is great but bottom line is dependability and investment ($$$).