3rd Gen Steering wheel on 2nd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
alright, well this kinda got started in another thread, but lets get to specifics. I would be willing to bet i am not the only one with a steering wheel cover because the stock steering wheel is worn, torn, or frayed. That being said, say this in another thread looking for aftermarket alternatives, i wanna look towards newer OEM alternatives. What i plan on looking into are clock spring, wheel nut, wiring, and airbag. My wheel has cruise options, and steering wheel audio controls, so i will be looking for information regarding keeping these options. any info anyone else has would be appreciated, i know Cody is interested too and will be checking things out. I did a quick search and didn't find any info. So i will be diving into the wealth of the internet while i have time and try to find some more info, but the more people looking for this, the more likely we can all find out about just how feasible this really is....

attachment-10.jpg

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
awesome ! im gonna start making some calls when I can, at work..grrr

and my truck doesnt have audio controls..another hurdle to get over..lol

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
would be the perfect time to upgrade.....lol. i was gunna do it on my old truck, but didn't have a chance. Hopefully someone here has been into both 2nd gen and 3rd gen columns and can remember the differences, or better yet someone with a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen to do a direct comparison. But we know its been done, so now the question is was it done for looks, or did they keep the functionality of everything. I know the "just for looks swap" would be easy, but i like the functionality portion of it.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
would be the perfect time to upgrade.....lol. i was gunna do it on my old truck, but didn't have a chance. Hopefully someone here has been into both 2nd gen and 3rd gen columns and can remember the differences, or better yet someone with a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen to do a direct comparison. But we know its been done, so now the question is was it done for looks, or did they keep the functionality of everything. I know the "just for looks swap" would be easy, but i like the functionality portion of it.

I agree 100 percent, it looks great, but I dont wanna loose cruise control, and the addition of volume control would be the ****.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
so far iv found alot of diesel guys have swapped 4th gen steering components for the ****** 2nd gen ones, but no steering wheels yet. gonna look more when i get off tonight

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, thats all i have found too. Its ncie to know we can do same swap the third gen guys do, but thats not what we are looking for. lol. this might end up being one of those gotta take it apart and find out mods...i'm not having much luck finding info on it anywhere...

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I might know some people that could know if it's possible..will call them

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Oh i am sure its possible...lol. i wonder if the 3rd gen column can be worked into our truck without to much re-wiring...if the column can be an easy swap, that might be the way to go too. Also, do 2nd gens and 3rd gens have single stage or 2 stage airbags? if memory serves me, you can't swap those out back and forth...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
:grd:

spiffy!

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That picture you have posted is a guy on a different forum Im on. Its a reg cab short box 2nd gen. I think one problem he had was with the cruise

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just not really feeling the Gen3 steering wheel on the Gen2...I actually likes my Gen2 wheel

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I like my wheel pretty fine, what I wish it had that the 3rd gen has is the little accents that can be painted. I feel like it would bring the wheel into the interior better.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
agreed, and mine is all torn up, my steering wheel covers it all up, but its one of the worst ones i've ever seen and i've seen some pretty ratty trucks. lol. and i like putting more modern designs onto my trucks, makes me feel like my rigs are newer than they really are. lol. Hopefully i can find more info this weekend...

@Needaram, did he do a write up, or have a thread pertaining to this swap? it would be nice to learn the issues he ran into....

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
agreed, and mine is all torn up, my steering wheel covers it all up, but its one of the worst ones i've ever seen and i've seen some pretty ratty trucks. lol. and i like putting more modern designs onto my trucks, makes me feel like my rigs are newer than they really are. lol. Hopefully i can find more info this weekend...

@Needaram, did he do a write up, or have a thread pertaining to this swap? it would be nice to learn the issues he ran into....

Im not sure. I can look into it see If I can find one

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
His cruise was not working to the wheel switch either. He had to do some wiring, and to get the airbag thing in there was massaging

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well loki you know someone local who can help be a comparison truck :) lol my dont have volume controls tho only suck thing :/ let me know man

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
lol, if you don't mind driving all the way up north, we just might need to do that. but i think what i will need to do is a column swap, so that i can keep all the bottons and keep everything working which is putting i pretty low on my priority list. although one of these days i wouldn't mind comparing your column plastics to mine...see if for the most part it looks do able. if so at some point i will pick up a cheap one to tear apart and compare to the stock one, than a good one to swap in. needless to say since it sounds like a column swap would be necceary to get everything to work, this is pretty low on my list. lol.