4.7L 2013 Engine Whine & Tranny Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickSteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8 Magnum
Alright, just got up around 2 hours ago and was going to be taking my trailer up to Yosemite for the rest of the weekend. Turned on the engine, and the fan clutch sounded seized, and then after a while went back to sounding normal. Thought nothing of it. Then, driving down the road from my house, a god awful whining occurs. This truck has always had a “engine” whine since new, but this sounded like a new level of horrible. Couldn’t really stop as i was on the highway by this point, and the weird thing is, it sounds like it’s variable? if that makes sense. For instance, it whines in every gear now, follows the RPMs and once you get up to cruising speed and let off the gas it starts to howl until you come to a stop, or maintain speed. Sorry if this is choppy, i’m extremely tired. Got a whole 4 hours of sleep last night. Going to try to take off the belt and see what happens. Another strange thing is that recently, whenever you turn the A/C on, it bangs the compressor on and then the engine sounds completely different (groans badly, and feels super “floaty”.) Truck has just under 97K on her, Rear diff fluid was changed around May, Transmission fluid was just changed 10K ago.

Another thing completely unrelated is that as of recent the transmission clicks whenever it shifts from 2nd gear to 4th, and it also clicks from 2nd gear to 2nd prime. Its a strange sound, like just a really loud “click”. if that makes sense. Well anyways, if anyone could help, it would be amazing. Thank you.