4 hours and $900 CAD to change spark plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Flat rate time is what it "SHOULD", take to do a specific job. You would have to look that time in a flat rate manual, or online. Most technicians are paid this way. If a job pays 4 hours that is what you are paid. done in three you made money. take five OPPS! However, each state has their own "labor laws". For instants brake rotors can get "rusted/stuck" on. Extra time will be needed, but here in NYS you most call the customer and get approval and that approval documented on repair order. Does everyone do that? NO!!!! I could type forever to explain, but each answer given can result in more questions. Again, here in NYS you can call that division of the motor vehicle department ask your question and get an answer. Voice your question/complaint to them, provided of course there is someone -other than the dealer to talk to. make sure that you let them know that the problem still exists!! This should be the key. Proper diagnostics of any problem is the correct starting point. A dirty fuel injector can cause a misfire. Hindsight is 20/20.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Which engine? 5.7 Hemi has 16 plugs at $29.99 for 100k plug. That is 464 dollars minimum just for plugs. Diagnosis is pretty much standard in dealers anymore $100+. Before labore you are already at $594. My dealer coded me $975. My brother in law in diffrent state paid $850 to non dealer shop. Plugs are consumables therfore not covered under warranty. Any good shop could have diagnosed the bad plug and changed it for you for the cost of one plug and labor. Yes they are suppose to be good for 100k. My 2006 pilot start misfiring at 155k and was the coil.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which engine? 5.7 Hemi has 16 plugs at $29.99 for 100k plug. That is 464 dollars minimum just for plugs. Diagnosis is pretty much standard in dealers anymore $100+. Before labore you are already at $594. My dealer coded me $975. My brother in law in diffrent state paid $850 to non dealer shop. Plugs are consumables therfore not covered under warranty. Any good shop could have diagnosed the bad plug and changed it for you for the cost of one plug and labor. Yes they are suppose to be good for 100k. My 2006 pilot start misfiring at 155k and was the coil.

The OP has a Penstar V6 and the whole point is he paid a hefty price for a parts cannon remedy that didn't correct the fault.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
The OP has a Penstar V6 and the whole point is he paid a hefty price for a parts cannon remedy that didn't correct the fault.

The OP hasn't been seen since the day he posted this 8 days ago. Not sure if he's even listening at this point.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OP hasn't been seen since the day he posted this 8 days ago. Not sure if he's even listening at this point.

I noticed that, nothing new and it rarely slows the postings or debates.

Still, there's no point of not sticking to the facts relating to the OP and that was a Penstar V6.

Hemi V8 info is irrelevant to this thread unless qualified as a comparison.

YMMV :cool:

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Be proffesional turbo2000 and I did not see Penstar. It is irrelevant since changing plugs did not solve the problem.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I noticed that, nothing new and it rarely slows the postings or debates.

Still, there's no point of not sticking to the facts relating to the OP and that was a Penstar V6.

Hemi V8 info is irrelevant to this thread unless qualified as a comparison.

YMMV :cool:

What is irrelevant is your comment. Changing plugs in Hemi or Penstar did not solve the issue. All I was doing a point of refernce nothing more.

Jim welsh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the plugs on my 2019 v6 and it took about 3 hours ,removing intake ,coil packs a brace on the right ,pvc hose .paid $16 dollars a plug from dealer.