4 X 4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Sounds like a few people on here should read the owners manual.

The owners manual only says so much! Info from people with experience is a GREAT source,They know the good and bad that the manual does not say!
I see no reason to belittle someone for lack of knowledge or not using the manual that does not have all the questions answered! I would rather get first hand info from people on proper use so I do not make a mistake or damage something I have little knowledge of! I think it id a GREAT question for more then the OP

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a few people on here should read the owners manual.

For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode
can be used.
In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but
the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel
drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle
senses a loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged,
this mode will result in lower fuel economy than
the 2WD mode.

When additional traction is required, the transfer case
4WD LOCK and 4WD LOW positions can be used to lock
the front and rear driveshafts together forcing the front
and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This is
accomplished by rotating the 4WD Control Switch to the
desired position. Refer to “Shifting Procedure” for specific
shifting instructions. The 4WD LOCK and 4WD
LOW positions are designed for loose, slippery road
surfaces only. Driving in the 4WD LOCK and 4WD LOW
positions on dry hard surfaced roads may cause increased
tire wear and damage to the driveline components.

Highlighted the sections that people contest here all the time. The problem is that they mistakenly assume that:

"For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used."

means you can't use 4WD Lock on roads that are partially slippery and partially dry. You most certainly can. Nowhere in the manual does it state that you can't. It states that you aren't supposed to use it on dry hard surfaced roads. Period. I've asked the service department about this when I bought it, again after I bought it and read people in the internet spreading their own interpretation around, and I've asked independent mechanics. The answers were all the same:

Yes you can absolutely use 4WD Lock on 50/50 slippery/dry conditions, the wording in the manual is to prevent people from driving along the highway in July in 4WD Lock. That's it. 4WD AUTO is a convenience feature, not a necessity for variable conditions, but apparently some people confuse that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vwsportbug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for your advice. I will pass them along to her. Some good stuff there. Thanks again!!!

PS: I think I'll set her up on the Dodge Ram Forum for Christmas. That will make a GREAT Xmas gift for her....

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figure that if auto trans clutches can handle the abuse daily, then the clutches in the transfer case can. Now using auto 4wd while in constantly slick conditions that need 4x4 probably isn't smart. Having it occasionally kick in while crossing an ice covered intersection is OK.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't read thru this whole thread but if you have the BW 44-44, you can run it in "lock" on hard/dry surfaces. The clutches will keep it from binding and my even not send power up to the front wheels. I experimented in a parking lot when it was dry, thru the truck in 4 "lock" and there was no binding or "hop" as I was turning tight circles.

Not best to do this but you won't kill the tcase if you happen to engage it on hard surfaces.

Do not do this with the 44-45!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as a disclaimer: no, you should not do this with the 44-44 either, just saying it won't kill it or the rest of your drivetrain. (Probably why we have this wonderful tcase)

Last edited:

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't read thru this whole thread but if you have the BW 44-44, you can run it in "lock" on hard/dry surfaces. The clutches will keep it from binding and my even not send power up to the front wheels. I experimented in a parking lot when it was dry, thru the truck in 4 "lock" and there was no binding or "hop" as I was turning tight circles.

Not best to do this but you won't kill the tcase if you happen to engage it on hard surfaces.

And as a disclaimer: no, you should not do this with the 44-44 either, just saying it won't kill it or the rest of your drivetrain. (Probably why we have this wonderful tcase)

http://www.ramforum.com/f38/4_x_4_question-95017/index3.html#post1417638

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i didn't read thru this whole thread but if you have the bw 44-44, you can run it in "lock" on hard/dry surfaces. The clutches will keep it from binding and my even not send power up to the front wheels. I experimented in a parking lot when it was dry, thru the truck in 4 "lock" and there was no binding or "hop" as i was turning tight circles.

And as a disclaimer: No, you should not do this with the 44-44 either, just saying it won't kill it or the rest of your drivetrain. (probably why we have this wonderful tcase)

:) :) :) :) :) :)

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
On slippery surfaces best bet is to slow down and use 2wd until 4wd becomes necessary, ie spinning out at slow speeds. Remember, 4wd only helps you go, it does not help you stop. If you need 4wd to accelerate once you're rolling you shouldn't be accelerating. I use 4wd from a stop all the time in winter but once I'm past the first shift I kick it out into 2wd. I'm a firm believer that auto 4wd kills more people than it saves because it's too easy for people to not realize they're going way too fast for conditions.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always kick it in 4x4 when I'm passing people on snow and iced roads :D

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run 4x4 lock if the snow and ice is bad, and run auto if it's just in places and I'm not going far. If the roads clear, I switch it back to 2wd. Auto is nice if there are patches of snow and ice and the rear wheels start slipping but I wouldn't recommend running it for very long or above 50 for any length of time.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in the pacific northwest and we just got our first snow storms the past few weeks. My truck does not have 4auto so I am a 2wd and 4lock guy regardless of conditions.

The issue in this part of the country is ice. We get a lot of rain and heavy snow is rare. Last week we got 2" of snow but then the freezing rain comes and piles on top of that, which makes the roads a real mess.

When it is just light snow and isn't icy yet I mostly just run 2wd until I end up on a hill or a stretch of road that looks a bit more snowy. Then I will flip it to 4lock until I'm past that and switch back to 2wd. When ice is involved I will just leave it in 4lock and go. Have nothing to worry about as long as you drive smart if you're in 4lock. I'll go over some dry patches and some really icy patches, and everything in between, but I just leave it in 4lock and cruise. No issues and I find this easier and more efficient than constantly flipping between 2wd and 4lock when the roads are mixed slick and dry.

One person's comment about what the manual says a while back is in line with my interpretation and understanding... 4lock is just fine for snow, ice, and mixed roads. But you shouldn't be cruising around in the middle of the summer in 4lock on completely dry pavement. Short periods of dry road in between ice and snow patches will not hurt anything. Above all just accelerate and stop slowly. Leave extra space between other cars. And don't be an idiot.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Similar use here too.

Solid snow/ice I use 4wd lock. Mixed I use 4auto. Dry I use 2wd.

I was surprised to read a few negative comments in other threads about the 4auto because I really prefer it in mixed conditions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I was surprised to read a few negative comments in other threads about the 4auto because I really prefer it in mixed conditions.

It seems people either love it or hate it !

I'm going to be buying a new truck in the next year or so, and I read these threads with GREAT interest......

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

After having it and needing to replace it with only about 50k kms i find it far from wonderful. If 4 lock and 4low actually engaged and stayed engaged instead of behaving like auto it would be great. The nearly 5 month waiting period for the replacement leads me to believe theres quite a few burnt up ones out there.

To the opening post, if shes hesitant about the conditions no worries on throwing it in 4lock. As long as shes not doing sharp turns on dry ground theres nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I just traded in my 14 Sport which had the 44-44 and open diff for a 16 rebel with the 44-45 and LS diff. I had the Sport for 2 Buffalo, NY winters with me literally plowing the roads with the front bumper. For the most part, I had zero issues in the snow with it. Now the Rebel I've only driven in some light snow a couple times (no big storms yet) and I had to remember REAL quick how a LS diff acts in slippery conditions!...lol. I almost had that thing sideways at about 40 mph...a real butt clencher! I have noticed that with just the LS diff, I don't need the 4x4 drive much. I'll see how the 44-45 works in some real snow soon enough.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well ****, look what came across my phone just now. Maybe I'll get to test the 44-45 tomorrow....lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170104-153229.jpg
    Screenshot_20170104-153229.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 36