4th Gen 4x2 to 4x4 -with AlphaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi All,

I have decided to convert my 2017 Ram 1500 4x2 with 3.6L to 4x4 thanks to the advent of AlphaOBD. I'll probably be the first to do this on a 4th gen Ram. I also have a 2018 1500 4x4 with Hemi for similar reference. I'm doing it for a number of reasons. I (wife) really likes the truck and I moved to the great white north over the summer. Trading for 4x4 would be too easy, but unfortunately much more costly in my case.

I have experience doing a swap like this myself before. I converted my 1990 Jeep Comanche 4.0 to 4x4 and I swapped a manual transmission into an automatic w123 Mercedes 300D I had. Could not have done them without forum help; it made those swaps relatively painless.

I think I will be able to get this done for around $2000 sourcing mostly local salvage parts and myself for labor. I plan to post a write-up here in the DIY section once I've collected all the research. Below is the list of parts I've found needed so far, please post any corrections/additions I've missed especially with wiring as this is my biggest hurdle right now. Thank you!

Front Suspension

-4x4 Lower Control Arms ($160/pair new aftermarket)
-4x4 Struts ($140/pair new aftermarket)

Front Drivetrain

-Front 3.55 gear Differential Carrier Complete ($200 Salvage)
-Front CV Half Shafts ($120/pair new aftermarket)
-Front Driveshaft ($50 Salvage)
-Engine Mounts to Carrier Brackets and hardware ($80 new Mopar)
-Front Axle Disconnect wiring jumper ($20 new Mopar)

Transmission/Rear

-4x4 845RFE ($600-$800 low mileage salvage) -Unfortunately its does not look like the tranny output shafts are swappable without opening the cases, so can't reuse my 4x2 845RFE.
-BW 44-45 Transfer Case ($150 low mileage salvage)
-Transmission Crossmember and hardware ($50 new Mopar)
-Transfer Case Wiring Harness (????)
-4x4 Rear Driveshaft ($90 Salvage)

Interior/Modules

-BW 44-45 Dash Shifter ($50 Salvage)
-Transfer Case Module -right side dash kick panel ($50 new Mopar)

AlphaOBD and MX Bluetooth ($100):D

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The cost you missed is the (lack of) value of the truck when it's all over with. Yes you may be able to convert it on the cheap but now you have a bastardized truck worth pennies on the dollar. So is it reallt cheaper then trading? I don't think so
And add in throwing away the warranty on that 2017

Your truck your money but I would just sell it and get a 4x4 then take a loss on the value like that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi All,

I have decided to convert my 2017 Ram 1500 4x2 with 3.6L to 4x4 thanks to the advent of AlphaOBD. I'll probably be the first to do this on a 4th gen Ram. I also have a 2018 1500 4x4 with Hemi for similar reference. I'm doing it for a number of reasons. I (wife) really likes the truck and I moved to the great white north over the summer. Trading for 4x4 would be too easy, but unfortunately much more costly in my case.

I have experience doing a swap like this myself before. I converted my 1990 Jeep Comanche 4.0 to 4x4 and I swapped a manual transmission into an automatic w123 Mercedes 300D I had. Could not have done them without forum help; it made those swaps relatively painless.

I think I will be able to get this done for around $2000 sourcing mostly local salvage parts and myself for labor. I plan to post a write-up here in the DIY section once I've collected all the research. Below is the list of parts I've found needed so far, please post any corrections/additions I've missed especially with wiring as this is my biggest hurdle right now. Thank you!

Front Suspension

-4x4 Lower Control Arms ($160/pair new aftermarket)
-4x4 Struts ($140/pair new aftermarket)

Front Drivetrain

-Front 3.55 gear Differential Carrier Complete ($200 Salvage)
-Front CV Half Shafts ($120/pair new aftermarket)
-Front Driveshaft ($50 Salvage)
-Engine Mounts to Carrier Brackets and hardware ($80 new Mopar)
-Front Axle Disconnect wiring jumper ($20 new Mopar)

Transmission/Rear

-4x4 845RFE ($600-$800 low mileage salvage) -Unfortunately its does not look like the tranny output shafts are swappable without opening the cases, so can't reuse my 4x2 845RFE.
-BW 44-45 Transfer Case ($150 low mileage salvage)
-Transmission Crossmember and hardware ($50 new Mopar)
-Transfer Case Wiring Harness (????)
-4x4 Rear Driveshaft ($90 Salvage)

Interior/Modules

-BW 44-45 Dash Shifter ($50 Salvage)
-Transfer Case Module -right side dash kick panel ($50 new Mopar)

AlphaOBD and MX Bluetooth ($100):D

How do you plan on physically bolting the struts in or the front diff,are you cutting the strut mounts off a 4X4 and welding them in? The front diff also bolts to the front crossmember,not sure it'll bolt onto the 2wd crossmember,but then again I haven't compared the front crossmembers with the idea of whether they are the same crossmember.Keep us appraised of your progress.

OP
OP
H

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The cost you missed is the (lack of) value of the truck when it's all over with. Yes you may be able to convert it on the cheap but now you have a bastardized truck worth pennies on the dollar. So is it reallt cheaper then trading? I don't think so
And add in throwing away the warranty on that 2017

Your truck your money but I would just sell it and get a 4x4 then take a loss on the value like that.

I expected this type of response, should have pre-promted this in the OP. Completely understand your opinion. I actually have the Max Care lifetime warranty on my 2017.

The warranty is only voided if the modifications made are proven to cause the warrantied part to fail (see: Magnuson Moss Warranty Act)

Like most on here, I like to mod my vehicles. Would appreciate any future comments from members to be more productive towards this goal. Thank you!

OP
OP
H

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How do you plan on physically bolting the struts in or the front diff,are you cutting the strut mounts off a 4X4 and welding them in? The front diff also bolts to the front crossmember,not sure it'll bolt onto the 2wd crossmember,but then again I haven't compared the front crossmembers with the idea of whether they are the same crossmember.Keep us appraised of your progress.

From studying schematics of 4x2 and 4x4 frames (too cold and snowy to crawl under the trucks right now lol). The only difference with the front suspension is that the 4x4 uses different lower control arms. The 4x2 holds the coil spring with a conventional shock inside. And 4x4 uses struts. Upper control arms are the same part number.

The only difference I could find frame wise is that the 4x2 shows two parts numbers for the transmission crossmember (its bolt on) the 4x4 only one and the 4x2 shares that same part number.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
From studying schematics of 4x2 and 4x4 frames (too cold and snowy to crawl under the trucks right now lol). The only difference with the front suspension is that the 4x4 uses different lower control arms. The 4x2 holds the coil spring with a conventional shock inside. And 4x4 uses struts. Upper control arms are the same part number.

The only difference I could find frame wise is that the 4x2 shows two parts numbers for the transmission crossmember (its bolt on) the 4x4 only one and the 4x2 shares that same part number.

The frames are totally different as far the front suspension is concerned.The 2wd frame has spring pockets to mount the springs,while the 4X4's have an upper strut mount that holds the strut/spring assembly. I think with some fabricating the conversion can be done,but I think it's a bit more detailed then what you're thinking it is.Before you start buying parts,i'd crawl around under a 4X4 with a tape measure and see where you stand with the fabricating aspect first

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As for the wiring, you’re going to need a complete power train wiring harness and dash harness.

Personally I think this is way more trouble than it’s worth. Your best bet would be to find a donor truck.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I expected this type of response, should have pre-promted this in the OP. Completely understand your opinion. I actually have the Max Care lifetime warranty on my 2017.

The warranty is only voided if the modifications made are proven to cause the warrantied part to fail (see: Magnuson Moss Warranty Act)

Like most on here, I like to mod my vehicles. Would appreciate any future comments from members to be more productive towards this goal. Thank you!
FYI mag-moss might not apply to maxcare. Maxcare is a *contract* not a warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI mag-moss might not apply to maxcare. Maxcare is a *contract* not a warranty.

And it may not protect from a complete alteration of a vehicles structure or driveline either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And it may not protect from a complete alteration of a vehicles structure or driveline either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.... Even if mag moss covered it, making the truck 4x4 requires so many changes pretty much any breakage later on could be blamed on it without much creativity on a dealer's part.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
if you really make this work I will pull and squeeze the trigger to make this convert I will be aware of this

Loggato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I usually never post on forums until I've began the swap/project... mainly to avoid the comments about why you shouldn't do it! lol.

you sound like me, ambitious without a plan, but with enough tools anything should be achievable. I swapped an AMG 5.4L V8 into my 1999 SLK. something no one has done yet. The only way to figure out if it's going to work is by trying! and when something doesn't work, cut and weld till it does!

OP
OP
H

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the responses! The front frames are indeed different in that the spring/strut cup mounts are different, the 4x4 versions are about 6" higher. They are in the same location and the upper control arm mounts are in the same locations (makes sense since they are the same part number) I have access to metal fabrication and welding (work in shipping/ship repair industry), though it was something I hoped wouldn't be necessary.

I'm lucky to have and awesome dealer service dept. Major mechanical bits don't worry me too much (see OP) and I doubt they would not cover electronics due to a mod like this (power window regulator, radio, modules, etc.) which is what I do worry a little bit about.

I am hoping to get lucky with wiring as some wiring is there for other options that are not on the truck (trailer brake controller etc.)

When it warms up a bit outside and when I'm back home from working remotely, I'll be able to look at both of my trucks underneath and up close/inside out.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is about half a dozen different part numbers for the power train harness so I highly doubt that wiring is there.

Things like trailer brakes,fog lights, etc. are all things that mopar makes accessories for to add to your vehicle. Something like converting 2wd to 4wd is a bit beyond that, so they wouldn’t just use one harness for everything.

mrq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I love naysayers... you don't have to change electrical harnesses or reprogram the computer if you keep all the changes mechanical, which for this swap, you can.

For me I need

new lower control arms
front diff
cv shafts
4x4 motor mounts
front drive shaft
4x4 extension housing for a 65rfe
manual t-case
floor shifter
rear driveshaft
modify the shock tower

and that's it, everything else is the same.

Putting in the front diff is easy. You just need to change the 4x2 motor mounts to 4x4 ones since that's where it attaches to. From what I saw it looks like the biggest PITA is the shock/strut mount is the wrong height.

I took pictures underneath a 4x4 to spot the differences and it's not a bad swap at all.

Too bad you don't have the 65RFE transmission you would just have to change the tail housing to get 4wd. In my case since I have essentially a 545rfe I can use any tcase or extension housing from 99 up. If you have the option just throw in a manual t-case and source the interior floor shifter stuff from a third gen 1500 or 4th gen 2500, much faster than futzing around with the electronics.

I have done my fair share of 4x4 conversions and overall, aside from the shock mount, your 8-speed transmission is going to be the biggest thing to work around since, your options are more limited.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I love naysayers... you don't have to change electrical harnesses or reprogram the computer if you keep all the changes mechanical, which for this swap, you can.

For me I need

new lower control arms
front diff
cv shafts
4x4 motor mounts
front drive shaft
4x4 extension housing for a 65rfe
manual t-case
floor shifter
rear driveshaft
modify the shock tower

and that's it, everything else is the same.

Putting in the front diff is easy. You just need to change the 4x2 motor mounts to 4x4 ones since that's where it attaches to. From what I saw it looks like the biggest PITA is the shock/strut mount is the wrong height.

I took pictures underneath a 4x4 to spot the differences and it's not a bad swap at all.

Too bad you don't have the 65RFE transmission you would just have to change the tail housing to get 4wd. In my case since I have essentially a 545rfe I can use any tcase or extension housing from 99 up. If you have the option just throw in a manual t-case and source the interior floor shifter stuff from a third gen 1500 or 4th gen 2500, much faster than futzing around with the electronics.

I have done my fair share of 4x4 conversions and overall, aside from the shock mount, your 8-speed transmission is going to be the biggest thing to work around since, your options are more limited.

The front diff also bolts to the front crossmember,i haven't compared the crossmembers to see if they are the same ,but you might want to check them out in regards to getting the diff bolted in place. I'm curious on this myself,just for curiousities sake though,lol.Good luck to you guys and keep us updated on your progress.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you go a full mechanical route, it would alleviate some issues while creating others. More stuff to modify for the floor shifter, which really isn’t to much of an issue.

You’ll also have to work something out for the front axle disconnect. Either rig up a switch or mechanically lock it together.

I don’t think anyone is saying it can’t be done, it for sure can. It’s just a lot of work,time,money for something that you would probably be better if just getting a truck with 4X4. Just my opinion though, people are free to do whatever they like.

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey Guys,

I appreciate all the responses! The front frames are indeed different in that the spring/strut cup mounts are different, the 4x4 versions are about 6" higher. They are in the same location and the upper control arm mounts are in the same locations (makes sense since they are the same part number) I have access to metal fabrication and welding (work in shipping/ship repair industry), though it was something I hoped wouldn't be necessary.

I'm lucky to have and awesome dealer service dept. Major mechanical bits don't worry me too much (see OP) and I doubt they would not cover electronics due to a mod like this (power window regulator, radio, modules, etc.) which is what I do worry a little bit about.

I am hoping to get lucky with wiring as some wiring is there for other options that are not on the truck (trailer brake controller etc.)

When it warms up a bit outside and when I'm back home from working remotely, I'll be able to look at both of my trucks underneath and up close/inside out.
I would like to know the status of your mod I’m interested in doing this as well

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca