4th gen owner considering a 5th gen......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently in a 2015 Sport CC with the Hemi that's rolled 106k miles, virtually problem free, ( minus one repair to both left and right side manifold bolts ). I'm beginning to consider a new truck for next year, maybe a 2024 leftover or a 2025, now that we are almost back to the pre-covid 20% or more off sticker prices again.

My questions, what are the biggest problems and concerns with the newest of the 5th gen trucks?

Is the current hemi still prone to lifter / cam failure like the 4th gens?
Manifolds still warping and snapping bolts? I think i read the new ones crack instead lol ??
Is the eTorque thing a problem?
Can you still to the +8 transmission lock out to keep MDS from activating?
Is auto stop a thing and can it be turned on/off with a button or setting?
3rd brake light leaks or other leaks?
I read that certain dashboards warp or bubble up or something?
Any other notable issues that are new or carried over from 4th gen?

Thanks !

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

brian42

Military
Reaction score
- It's the same engine so the same issues apply. The only engine issue I had was a cracked exhaust manifold.

- Everything is eTorque now (starting in 2023?) so you get it regardless.

- Yes, you can still disable start/stop by putting the gear selector to '8'. There is a button you can push but you have to push that every time you start the truck unless you get something like crash68 mentioned above.

- 3rd brake light leaking is still a potential issue. I put a beefier gasket on the first time I removed it and never had an issue.

- The only dashboards I have read of that peel/bubble are the leather ones.

I know the powertrain is mostly carried over but don't know what other common issues have translated over to the 5th gen (this was my first RAM so have no experience with 4th gens other than loaners when mine was in the service department).

VAAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my ‘22 Hemi eTorque. I didn’t like it at first, and got an Auto Start Stop Eliminator, but then I got used to it and never installed the eliminator.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
- It's the same engine so the same issues apply. The only engine issue I had was a cracked exhaust manifold.

- Everything is eTorque now (starting in 2023?) so you get it regardless.

- Yes, you can still disable start/stop by putting the gear selector to '8'. There is a button you can push but you have to push that every time you start the truck unless you get something like crash68 mentioned above.

- 3rd brake light leaking is still a potential issue. I put a beefier gasket on the first time I removed it and never had an issue.

- The only dashboards I have read of that peel/bubble are the leather ones.

I know the powertrain is mostly carried over but don't know what other common issues have translated over to the 5th gen (this was my first RAM so have no experience with 4th gens other than loaners when mine was in the service department).
Thanks for the feedback. I thought i read somewhere that they changed the lifter design some to help minimize failures, but I could be wrong.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
There may be some engineering changes here and there but this is the same powerplant from 2002-ish with an "update" around 2009/2010 time frame IIRC.

As much as I love a V-8 this one is long in the tooth so is not going to get the MPG that other trucks are going to get with engine designs less than half the age of the HEMI.

I was happy with the engine as I knew what I was getting into. I loved the 5th gen truck. I liked the looks of the 4th gen (second only to the 3rd gen) but never liked any interiors until I saw the 5th gen...and since I spend 99% of the time inside the truck that was the most important thing to me.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long in the tooth=reliable ? 22 Laramie is getting 21.5 mpg @75mph on the highway. Not bad mileage for a full size truck.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the eTorque engines have the Start/Stop "feature", the Hemi is no longer available without eTorque
There is this: https://www.autostopeliminator.com/products/2019-ram-1500-autostop-eliminator
A friend of mine just bought a '22 leftover a few weeks ago in South Jersey without e-torque. I was surprised when I went on Ram's site and searched for new '22's that have never been sold, there were 17 within 50 miles of me. That was a few weeks ago, but there's probably some new non e-torques out there.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A friend of mine just bought a '22 leftover a few weeks ago in South Jersey without e-torque. I was surprised when I went on Ram's site and searched for new '22's that have never been sold, there were 17 within 50 miles of me. That was a few weeks ago, but there's probably some new non e-torques out there.
Well the OP might be in luck if there is some new '22 on the lot in a year when he said he's looking to buy but as of the '23 model year eTorque is standard on the Hemi

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the OP might be in luck if there is some new '22 on the lot in a year when he said he's looking to buy but as of the '23 model year eTorque is standard on the Hemi
That's exactly why I bought my '22 one year ago this month.... e-torque was a no for me.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure how break in effects mileage, mine was not a new leftover, had 20k miles.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Manifolds still warping and snapping bolts? I think i read the new ones crack instead lol ??

Thanks !
Cracked a manifold. Replaced under warranty.
eTorque is not interesting to me. I bypassed it for two reasons - Stop/Start (see below) and the fact that you can't add a Whipple (which was my intention but have not done so to date...).
Yes you can lock out MDS by selecting Gear Limit - same as on the 4G.
Auto stop/start is a total no-go for me. There probably is a device available to disable it - I bought one for my wife's '23 Telluride because we both hate it.
No leaks on mine after almost 4 years.
No dash problems for me.

Only non-listed thing is that my starter must have had a bad spot in it. Every once in a while it would not start. A jump would get it going. Replaced under warranty and no problems since. No idea if this is common or not, but if it's going to happen it's almost certain to within the powertrain warranty period.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from 2017 gen4 to 2022 5th gen mostly because I got about what I paid for the 2017 during Covid with 40k miles on it. I like the 5th gen better. Uconnect 5 is miles better than uconnect 4. Some have reported issues but mine just works and it’s very responsive. i get slightly worse mileage on my 5th gen than I did on my ‘17 but its not the same equipment, g5 is long bed and off road group, gen 4 was short bed normal 4x4 with normal road tires vs the chunkier off road tires.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently in a 2015 Sport CC with the Hemi that's rolled 106k miles, virtually problem free, ( minus one repair to both left and right side manifold bolts ). I'm beginning to consider a new truck for next year, maybe a 2024 leftover or a 2025, now that we are almost back to the pre-covid 20% or more off sticker prices again.

My questions, what are the biggest problems and concerns with the newest of the 5th gen trucks?

Thanks !
Sounds like you know all the problems and all the good stuff not sure about the 2025 24 r still good but can have exactly the problems you mentioned

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unless they remove the e-torque-only my next RAM will be a 2500. Well, unless they put it on there too...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat