4WD Lock or 4WD Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is no front axle disconnect in my 2010 Ram 4x4,
if that's what they are putting in the new Ram 4x4 trucks to idiot proof them,
looks like I wont be rushing to trade mine in any time soon. :crazy:

It isn't to idiot proof them, it is for fuel mileage. Here is a diagram for your 2010 showing your front disconnect as part number 5 in that diagram.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well if the front diff isnt the difference,
I guess the new **** of a transfer case is the idiot proof system on the new Rams.

I think we've done this at least once before lol

I've seen one 2012 owner posting about a problem like this, the others have all been 2013 and 2014's. Bottom line if you want a full truck locking transfer case you will either have to step up to a 2500 or go down in trim levels. Between horrible fuel mileage and the useless transfer case I will be looking at all options before my lease is up. I actually wanted to buy this lease out until I drove it is winter.

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/laramie_auto_transfer_case-48258/

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BW 44-45 PART-TIME locks full time without the need for wheel slip. BW 44-44 ON-DEMAND requires wheel slip at any setting

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
When I first got my truck, I was mad that I didnt have the auto feature. Then I read about BW 44-44 ON-DEMAND..phew.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it's raining out or snowing use auto , if gets real bad go to 4 lock. Someone said 4 lock and auto are the same. They are not at all. Go out and put your truck in 4 lock and drive in a circle. Then try it with 4 auto. I put mine in 4 auto the other day in the rain and punched it. It just took off and never felt it kick in .

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's raining out or snowing use auto , if gets real bad go to 4 lock. Someone said 4 lock and auto are the same. They are not at all. Go out and put your truck in 4 lock and drive in a circle. Then try it with 4 auto. I put mine in 4 auto the other day in the rain and punched it. It just took off and never felt it kick in .

they are basically the same, only difference i've heard of is lock requires less wheel slip then auto

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

I would recommend NOT doing that

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

It is designed to decrease clutch pressure as you turn the steering wheel to make sure that there is no binding when you turn. Some trucks might have less clearance in the clutch so you are lucky but it is not designed to do that. It is designed to not bind in any 4wd mode on dry pavement.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, that case uses clutches (that can burn out), not chains.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine will bind on dry pavement turning in 4 lock. It doesn' in 4 auto. As for me saying go try it.Your going to find out right away how it acts.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I do apologize for creating another thread about something that has already been discussed a few times.

Once Mother Nature sends us her first Snow or Ice-->I will use the 4WD Auto first and just see what happens. If the depth of snow gets really bad I will just use 4WD Lock.

I also really don't expect to be wowed by either system due to these horrible stock tires. I have had enough experience in this matter to know that Tires make a huge difference when confronted with Ice or Heavy Snow. {I already have plans on placing 4 100lb sand bags in the rear end}.

This winter will be a new experience going from a 3/4 Ton 7.3L PSD 4x4 w/BFG A/T-->Which was incredible in winter conditions to this New 1/2 Ton Ram!

Thanks fellas for all your thoughts and advice.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I do apologize for creating another thread about something that has already been discussed a few times.

Once Mother Nature sends us her first Snow or Ice-->I will use the 4WD Auto first and just see what happens. If the depth of snow gets really bad I will just use 4WD Lock.

I also really don't expect to be wowed by either system due to these horrible stock tires. I have had enough experience in this matter to know that Tires make a huge difference when confronted with Ice or Heavy Snow. {I already have plans on placing 4 100lb sand bags in the rear end}.

This winter will be a new experience going from a 3/4 Ton 7.3L PSD 4x4 w/BFG A/T-->Which was incredible in winter conditions to this New 1/2 Ton Ram!

Thanks fellas for all your thoughts and advice.

I had the Wrangler silent armor tires on my 1500 and I loved them. I wouldn't have left the lot with sra's, I hate those tires...

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
auto is nice to have for general driving since it'll kick in once you start slipping but if you get off road at all the delay can get you into trouble. on the farm i have to drive in muddy fields and on unmaintained dirt roads that often get very muddy or in winter the snow really piles up. that delay is enough to bury your rear wheels to the point where 4WD won't help you. in the other thread many people mentioned the transfer case isn't really designed for heavy use so excessive spinning can also quickly burn out the clutch

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
First thing I do when snow is coming is put on true snow tires. The difference is amazing when compared to all season tires and that is in all drive modes.

Reactions: SyN

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie hemi 5.7
When I put it on 4wd-auto, and have a heavy foot, I could feel the slight shaking feedback from the accelerator pedal.......... Seems it is in 4wd at that time....

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
NOt sure if it adds much to the discussion, but in working on my truck this past wekend, I learned alot about my transfercase and 4wd. at least for me. Truck in Park, front end on stands. Driver side wheel touching the pavement slightly.

1. IN 2wd mode, I can rotate the Front right wheel freely and nothing else moves.
2. In 4wd AUTO, I can rotate the front right but more difficult. as in more resistance and effort needed. doing so turns the front driveshaft.
3. in 4wd LOCK, I cannot rotate anything.

I have a 2009 Laramie. Item 2 above tells me that the front drive shaft is disconnected in the transfer case.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlb

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed from day 1 that in auto the tranny feels jerky and I notice a vibration at highway speeds in auto. In 2wd the feeling immediately goes away so I leave it in 2wd unless weather dictates other. I also tested on the freeway in 2wd I watched my fuel economy, then switched to auto and there was a change.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo