4x4 acting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey guys I have a 01 1500 ram. We just got a couple inches of snow so its been pretty slick around here and I've had to use 4x4 a few times the past couple days. So basically what happens is I'll be driving along in 4x4 and it clunks almost as if it were disengaging and reengaging randomly. So I drive in 2 wheel as much as possible. Well lat night I got stuck on a bit of a slope and had cars all around me I was trying to get out and my 4hi and 4low sh*t the bed on me the light comes on but it doesnt engage

Anyone know what this could be?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
have this moved to the 2nd gen section, they prolly have more input due to the year and the differences in the 4x4 mechanics. Also get the code read and see what it says.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Someone in the 2nd Gen section would know but those trucks were known for having issues with the central axle disconnects, I would start there.

OP
OP
R

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
have this moved to the 2nd gen section, they prolly have more input due to the year and the differences in the 4x4 mechanics. Also get the code read and see what it says.
No check engine light. It was on but it was my thermostat which I replaced and no more code

OP
OP
R

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Someone in the 2nd Gen section would know but those trucks were known for having issues with the central axle disconnects, I would start there.
I'm not 100% sure where I would look to start there.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
make a the same post.. just do it in the 2nd gen section/ this is the 4th gen section. I would just
put it under general discussion again.

PostalTwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
They will probably move it for ya. Or u could make another. I would just do a search for your problem with the search tool and start reading. If u don't know what the components are u need to learn if your going to have any hope of fixing it yourself

Petro_E

Reaction score
When you put it in 4 lo did you have your transmission in neutral when engaging it?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys I have a 01 1500 ram. We just got a couple inches of snow so its been pretty slick around here and I've had to use 4x4 a few times the past couple days. So basically what happens is I'll be driving along in 4x4 and it clunks almost as if it were disengaging and reengaging randomly. So I drive in 2 wheel as much as possible. Well lat night I got stuck on a bit of a slope and had cars all around me I was trying to get out and my 4hi and 4low sh*t the bed on me the light comes on but it doesnt engage

Anyone know what this could be?

Sounds like a vacuum issue. These trucks have a vacuum driven 4wd system, a slight loss in vacuum will cause the engaging/disengaging you were experiencing. A clogged or broken vacuum line will not engage the front end but still give you the 4wd engaged light. Check out the vacuum lines for a cracked, broken or clogged line.

As said, you'd get more responses in the 2nd gen section for 1994-2001 rams. This section is for 2009-current rams.