4x4 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Hey guys I have a 01 1500 ram. We just got a couple inches of snow so its been pretty slick around here and I've had to use 4x4 a few times the past couple days. So basically what happens is I'll be driving along in 4x4 and it clunks almost as if it were disengaging and reengaging randomly. So I drive in 2 wheel as much as possible. Well lat night I got stuck on a bit of a slope and had cars all around me I was trying to get out and my 4hi and 4low sh*t the bed on me the light comes on but it doesnt engage

Anyone know what this could be?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check for a fractured/cracked vacuum line. Line might also be clogged.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
With the light coming on that tells me the cad is working, at least moving the forks over.

Truck shut off, in Park, 2H on the xcase, make sure the front ds spins free.
Truck shut off, in Park, 4H or 4L, front ds should not spin at all.

If the front ds spins in 4H you have a xcase problem.
If the front ds does not spin you need to remove the cad and see whats going on in there.

One of the main reasons cads have a hard time engaging is because the inner axle shaft support bearing/bushing has failed. On the outer axle shaft there is nipple that needs a bushing these fail as well. When either or fails the shafts become misaligned, the collar does not slide over all the way to mate the two shafts, if at all.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
With the light coming on that tells me the cad is working, at least moving the forks over.

If the front ds does not spin you need to remove the cad and see whats going on in there.

One of the main reasons cads have a hard time engaging is because the inner axle shaft support bearing/bushing has failed. On the outer axle shaft there is nipple that needs a bushing these fail as well. When either or fails the shafts become misaligned, the collar does not slide over all the way to mate the two shafts, if at all.
I second this. The main planetary snap rings are known to break in the t case causing the drive hub to shear the splines resulting in no front output. Try what merc suggested if it leads you to the t case drain the fluid and check for metal debris

OP
OP
R

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas

Thanks guys! Will look into this!
I second this. The main planetary snap rings are known to break in the t case causing the drive hub to shear the splines resulting in no front output. Try what merc suggested if it leads you to the t case drain the fluid and check for metal debris

OP
OP
R

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Fixed

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421132084603.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421132084603.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 74

Jrock2394

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
What exactly fixed this. I am having the same problem except my 4wd light doesn't even come on any more

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
He slide the collar over to join the two axle shafts and then used a hose clamp to stop the collar from sliding back and forth on the shafts.

Start a new thread Jrock2394 and people will offer help.

OP
OP
R

rcpottie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
What exactly fixed this. I am having the same problem except my 4wd light doesn't even come on any more
Exactly what merc said, you may have a vacuum leak or a stuck fork shaft. Take off your 4x4 unit from the front passenger side axle and see how it looks inside. Take some pics of it I can tell you what's wrong most likely now that I've had the problem myself.