4x4 shaft turning in 2H

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GabosBanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Is this normal? Other day I couldn't turn out of a parking spot the truck would not turn like I had no power steering, then a loud knock like something had slipped into gear, and I drove home about 3miles away, the next morning I looked didn't see anything obvious besides the 4x4 shaft was turning while driving back and forth, but it's in 2H, what could have happened? 1996 Ram

ouch1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I can't remember for sure, but I don't believe these trucks have an axle disconnect, so the front driveshaft will spin anytime the front wheels move. I'm 2WD mode, the transfer case just doesn't send power to the front. Mine is RWD and I haven't worked on a 4wd for a while, so I could be wrong. The binding while turning is concerning though. Is it still doing it? On dry pavement, try turning a tight circle and see if the car drags itself to a quick stop or feels like it is hopping. If so, you may have a 4WD or axle u-joint issue.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
They do have an axle disconnect on the passenger side but the driverside wheel will still drive the shaft. Shaft turning is normal