5.9 broken spark plug might as well engine swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
Hello guys so im having a **** load of issues here so i need some help. had a misfire so i changed the distributor cap but the actual rotor wouldnt come off. then the 2 screws to the distributor shattered when unscrewing so i had to get a whole new distributor. After parts and labor, tow fees, still had a misfire. Go to change to the very 1st plug the SOB snapped off! I looked at all the other plugs theyre ALL rotted out so assuming more will snap. I then soaked it with PB blaster for a day and bought the reverse thread kit to get the plug out that MTF snapped as well so its lodged in the plug thread. I unplugged that injector to keep fuel from clogging that cylinder. WHAT NOW?! ive spent around 6k in parts and repairs on it within the last 4 mos NO BS! Getting head redone or buying a recon one isnt that much but i know its the LABOR that will **** me. Assuming that i'll need both heads done i might as well do a motor swap?! The motor has many rotted bolts so go on with repairing the heads im afraid more **** will shatter and break. it ran great no knocks no ticks but wtf do u guys think?
DSC_0018_zpsnucghshh.jpg DSC_0024_zpsb0bigw2x.jpg DSC_0025_zpsqsmdpezk.jpg DSC_0020_zpsaig8pjeu.jpg DSC_0026_zps3g5dalbv.jpg

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
Spark Plug helicoil repair kit.

those are to rethread the socket i dont need that since mine isnt stripped plus that tool will cut fragment of metals shavings in the head

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
They are used everyday and if done right no metal or very little gets into the jug. Then get in there with a cold chisel and bust what's left out. I am offering advice.....

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
thanks for the advice but this method will not work in my case. it would IF the plug isnt there and if i had stripped the thread.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
As I posted then get in there with a cold chisel and bust out what's left of the plug. You don't have many choices here, do what you can hope it works and if not be ready to remove the head. As a retired marine tech I have delt with lots of rusted in sparkplugs just have to do whatever you can. Some junk falling into the jug is not a big deal, spin the motor over without the plug in it and most of the bits will get blown out the hole the rest will go out the exhaust valve.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
the reverse thread that snapped in the plug is pretty thick i really dont think its safe to punch it in and let the motor blow it out i think it'll smash around the jug scratching and denting everything before it shoots out. Again i appreciate the input. I think at this point im gonna try to pull the other plugs see if they come out if more snap yes im just gonna swap the motor

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ok then, there are small magnets that will fit through the sparkplug hole to pick up metal bits, there are small three finger flexible grippers that will fit down the spark plug hole to grab bits. You would also use a borescope to look down in the jug to find these bits.

You have to think outside the box here. Good luck.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn man that really sucks my motor is 100x more rusty(used to be a minnesota truck) and my spark plugs came out with very little effort although one scared me. Those must not have gotten anti siezed.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
yea im just stumped right now smh

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this was me and i was trying to get the truck back on the road and put the smallest dent in my wallet id take them all out and if they continue to break take it to a machine shop have them tap the holes, but if the rest come out id follow mercs advice. i know what youre thinking about the metal bits but mercs incredibly knowledgable ( and maybe a bit stubborn but that might just be me :) )and he wouldnt lead you astray if you want to get the engine rebuilt/replaced anyways whats the damage to try that?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If this was me and i was trying to get the truck back on the road and put the smallest dent in my wallet id take them all out and if they continue to break take it to a machine shop have them tap the holes, but if the rest come out id follow mercs advice. i know what you're thinking about the metal bits but mercs incredibly knowledgeable ( and maybe a bit stubborn but that might just be me :) )and he wouldn't lead you astray if you want to get the engine rebuilt/replaced anyways whats the damage to try that?

He can't tap F all as he broke the wrong style of easy out in what's left of the sparkplug, and you can't drill easy outs. It has to be busted up to be removed. He has a bad mess to deal with, and not many choices to solve it.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Drill and helicoil or remove the head and drill and helicoil. I see one broken exhaust bolt so I'm guessing most will break removing the head. I'd do as merc suggested. Knock it out then retrieve what you can with a magnet. Before you do anything run that hole to tdc exhaust. Get what you can out the blow the rest out the exhaust with compressed air. If you try to drill the easy out with a right hand drill bit it may turn it loose.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
He might just get that lucky trying to drill it out with a reverse drill bit, I have tried drilling a few easy outs with some darn expensive drill bits only to have them fail as well. Rowdyram you have any suggestions on what type of drill bit he should use.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
ok so im thinking i bang it in with a hammer, rethread the ****** with heli coil, then clean everything up grab all the crap out with a magnet and 3 prong grabber and or remove the manifold for easy access in the head to get the **** out. the manifold was JUST installed last week so removing will be a breeze. (yes theres a snapped bolt in there). Ive got one shop thats close to an hr away from me that guaranteed me they can do that do delt with it many times for $200-$300. Should drive it to him and let them deal with it? Is it even safe to drive without causing damage? Since the reverse thread snapped in the plug it basically closed the hole so i dont have loose compression. I also unplugged the injector for that one cylinder.

cbarnha3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Research kroil. It's a penetrating oil unlike no other. I had a 06 f150. From 04 to 07 they were notorious for plugs snapping. They made 3 tools just for that motor to remove them. Maybe one of them would work for you. But kroil is wayyyyy better than pb or any other brand. It's pricey but well worth it. Just leave it in overnight soaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
Research kroil. It's a penetrating oil unlike no other. I had a 06 f150. From 04 to 07 they were notorious for plugs snapping. They made 3 tools just for that motor to remove them. Maybe one of them would work for you. But kroil is wayyyyy better than pb or any other brand. It's pricey but well worth it. Just leave it in overnight soaking

i looked that oil up seem to cant find it anywhere locally besides online

cbarnha3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea it's not gonna be in big box stores. Best place is Amazon. On there site it tells you what dimensions it can creep into. It is the best stuff you can buy for the purpose. Occasionally a mom and pops store will have it

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
sounds like its good stuff that im gonna need to keep in handy but i dont think i have enough patience to wait for it to arrive :/