5.9 broken spark plug might as well engine swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbarnha3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the feeling. Ford dealer wanted 4000 to fix mine and I laughed at them. Goodluck though man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
really? trans fluid and nail polish remover? any brand fluid ATF? DEXTRON? So do u guys agree on my plan or should stop trying to fk up my truck and take it to a shop?

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
ok so im thinking i bang it in with a hammer, rethread the ****** with heli coil, then clean everything up grab all the crap out with a magnet and 3 prong grabber and or remove the manifold for easy access in the head to get the **** out. the manifold was JUST installed last week so removing will be a breeze. (yes theres a snapped bolt in there). Ive got one shop thats close to an hr away from me that guaranteed me they can do that do delt with it many times for $200-$300. Should drive it to him and let them deal with it? Is it even safe to drive without causing damage? Since the reverse thread snapped in the plug it basically closed the hole so i dont have loose compression. I also unplugged the injector for that one cylinder.

yay or nay?:superhack:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Yes really best you can ever make or use. Hard for me to say as I don't know your skill level.

OP
OP
D

demo401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas 4x4
im pretty mechanically inclined but never dealt with something like this before. Definitely not a certified mech

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
TBH you have nothing to lose doing it yourself, it will either go ok or go bad. so up to you. Best tip I can offer is go in thinking it will work, don't touch it if you are mad at it.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
50/50 tranny fluid and acetone best penetrating fluid you can ever have.
Was gonna say that but you beat me to it. As for the drill bits easy outs are very hard. Cheap drill bits are soft so they'll go dull quickly but they don't snap as easy. I'd try a cheap 1/4 bit but I don't have a ton of experience with this particular situation. I do with the ford 3v engines and the tools mentioned will probably not work as they are designed for using the plug tubes

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Was gonna say that but you beat me to it. As for the drill bits easy outs are very hard. Cheap drill bits are soft so they'll go dull quickly but they don't snap as easy. I'd try a cheap 1/4 bit but I don't have a ton of experience with this particular situation. I do with the ford 3v engines and the tools mentioned will probably not work as they are designed for using the plug tubes

50/50 tranny fluid and acetone best penetrating fluid you can ever have.

Chrisfix on YouTube had a a good video about this. Even throws up a list at 4:30 comparing pb blaster, kroil, liquid wrench, and wd-40. The kroil was really good but the trans fluid/acetone was quite a bit better too