5.9 cummins shifting hard, higher rpm at stops.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yesterday i was pulling a dump trailer, was in a hurry trying to get to the landfill to dump. Was hauling butt and loading my turbo up to 30psi of boost. Trailer was really not that full but it was numerous times i really punched it to hurry up and get there.
Anyway the truck is acting strange now. The TFT (which i really am not sure what it is) is overheating. The transmission is shifting harder. Also at most stops the rpms raise then after i let go of the of the brakes, the truck takes of for about 30 feet and then slows back down.
Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My best guess is that you may have hurt the torque converter and the converter clutch is staying engaged causing the truck to lurch forward from a stop

Does the engine sound like it's laboring when you put the trans in gear? Do the engine RPM's increase to around 1500rpm when you are at a stand still, foot on the brake and in gear?
If so I suspect the converter clutch is stuck in the applied position.

OP
OP
D

DoubleA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thank you very much for the response, will have to check into that. Any suggestions on how????

My best guess is that you may have hurt the torque converter and the converter clutch is staying engaged causing the truck to lurch forward from a stop

Does the engine sound like it's laboring when you put the trans in gear? Do the engine RPM's increase to around 1500rpm when you are at a stand still, foot on the brake and in gear?
If so I suspect the converter clutch is stuck in the applied position.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have dealt with what I believe is your issue many times.

Check the fluid first. Does it smell burnt? Check the fluid level with the engine at operating temps.

As I was saying in my earlier post, I suspect the torque converter is the culprit. With the engine running, place the trans into DRIVE and watch the engine RPM. Does the engine RPM go from idle to about 1500 RPM or so? Does the engine sound like it is working hard? Do you hear fuel injector clatter like the engine is under a super heavy load?

If so, the converter clutch is stuck in the applied position. What I would do to correct the issue is replace the torque converter with a quality aftermarket unit, perform a trans service with new fluid and filter and gasket and then adjust both bands. Then I would have a shop perform a transmission flush. If you have a local shop or dealer that you have a relationship with them have them perform the flush.

OP
OP
D

DoubleA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have dealt with what I believe is your issue many times.

Check the fluid first. Does it smell burnt? Check the fluid level with the engine at operating temps.

As I was saying in my earlier post, I suspect the torque converter is the culprit. With the engine running, place the trans into DRIVE and watch the engine RPM. Does the engine RPM go from idle to about 1500 RPM or so? Does the engine sound like it is working hard? Do you hear fuel injector clatter like the engine is under a super heavy load?

If so, the converter clutch is stuck in the applied position. What I would do to correct the issue is replace the torque converter with a quality aftermarket unit, perform a trans service with new fluid and filter and gasket and then adjust both bands. Then I would have a shop perform a transmission flush. If you have a local shop or dealer that you have a relationship with them have them perform the flush.

Thanks, i will do that.