<500 miles on redline ... this is a new noise ... help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here it is fellas.....

2015 ram 1500 5.7L (17,500 miles )
Long tube headers with stage 8 locking header bolts.

Obviously it’s been tuned to accommodate headers... so warranty is null and void right?????

Just noticed this noise ... I wouldn’t describe it as a tic as much as I would an irregular knock .... almost like a hollow piece of wood is hit with a small hammer or that “wood block”instrument .... or a marble being shaken around in a plastic cup

Just emptied catch can that was pretty full but I changed my oil to 7qts of redline 5w-30 with a rp filter about 300 miles ago. Today was the first day above 30degrees the roads were dry I could take it out for a 50mile highway drive . This is what I hear ...... any insight would be much appreciated ....

Should I bring it to dealer?
There’s no hiding the tune

Is there hope for dealer assistance??? I highly doubt the mild tune for headers and intake and exhaust is at cause for this symptom

It’s been to dealer before for loud tick at startup that was diagnosed as “lifters losing compression after sittin for long periods” there was a bulletin out on it and only had it happen once since

This is a completely different sound ...

Hard to hear in video but I can pick it out listen hard lol. ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2015 5.7L 17k miles. New noise... have to focus to hear is but to me it sounds like marbles are in engine ......

What do I do. ??
I have long tube headers so obv a tune and slight modifications(exhaust and intake). I obviously wouldn’t attribute whatever this is to those mods or tube . But I can’t hide this fro
Dealership and swap out pcm for stock one because I need tune for headers . So what’s your take???

A tech at the shop is pretty cool and knows and has ridden in truck with all my mods and likes it! But I’m worried about repair work .... I’m getting discouraged with ththe hemi and the noises .

Went to shop within first 5k miles for famous start up noise and was told it was normal after sitting for prolonged periods ... the lifters loss compression and it goes away once oil gets in upper engine and up to pressure .... but it’s documented . Thy also gave me bulletin on that .

Any ideas guys???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear what you are talking about, like a marble but it's not consistent, like it doesn't do it for a couple revolutions then it starts etc. I have similar sound but don't worry about it, as long as it doesn't get worse. Wondering if you might have a little header leak also

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like valve-train noise to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on your oil consumption as well as your oil pressure. I used to drive myself crazy with things like this, now I just turn the radio up and keep moving LOL.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some Hemi's seam to have cold weather piston slap or bearing noise that no lubrication can touch. H395 has tried every oil and redline killed his lifter tick, but I believe did not touch his cold weather piston slap. Maybe he can elaborate. I would still try different oils and weights, maybe 5w20 would be better at piston slap or bearing noise, dunno. keep on updating us, maybe there is a fix out there maybe not.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It was the exhaust bolts, good news for the OP for sure.