5th gen much quieter than 4th gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday I dropped my 4th gen 1500 5.7 off at the dealer for some warranty stuff, and they gave me a 2019 5.7 Laramie for a loaner/courtesy vehicle. The 5th gen is so much more quiet than my 4th gen...both have dual stock exhaust, but for some reason this new truck is super quiet. Any ideas on why this is?

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some models have an active noise cancelling option

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^ What the hell is that?????? Leaving your wife at home??? I've never heard of that option
Jay

I think that is "passive aggressive noise cancellation"

Active noise cancellation is supposedly pumping frequencies into the cabin to offset any generated by the drivetrain, etc.

Not a new idea in vehicles, just new in the RAM. Some people are reporting it makes them sick (like motion sickness) or they feel a buffetting type pressure on their ears. I think you can disable it, though.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a 2012 Ram and recently picked up a 2019. The ride is great, cabin extremely quiet. BUT, I attribute much of it to the characterisitics of a new vehicle. Window/door seals are newer and less compressed, shocks, suspension, steering components are brand new, etc. Every newer car has a newer car feel and ride.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2012 Ram and recently picked up a 2019. The ride is great, cabin extremely quiet. BUT, I attribute much of it to the characterisitics of a new vehicle. Window/door seals are newer and less compressed, shocks, suspension, steering components are brand new, etc. Every newer car has a newer car feel and ride.
^^^^this

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some models have an active noise cancelling option

It should be 100% legal to blow away the focus group and engineer who made that **** up. At least to put their peckers in a jar and hang them on a shelf next to the deer antlers, wtf??e

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I Thought the opposite, rather hear my exhaust!

I think that is "passive aggressive noise cancellation"

Active noise cancellation is supposedly pumping frequencies into the cabin to offset any generated by the drivetrain, etc.

Not a new idea in vehicles, just new in the RAM. Some people are reporting it makes them sick (like motion sickness) or they feel a buffetting type pressure on their ears. I think you can disable it, though.