5th wheel max weight for 2024 2500 diesel longhorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renrut1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7L
I just purchased a 2024, 6.7L Diesel 2500 limited longhorn. Now, I'm trying to determine the max weight a 5th wheel could weight. And be safe towing . I have visited a few internet sites, but the numbers seem to be all over the place.
Would anyone have a link to determine what weight a 5th wheeler can be?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This is the SAE J2807 for the '23 model year but the '24 should be fine same. Shows all the actual capacities for GVWR, GAWR and GVWR. It's going to be the rear axle weight you'll have to watch, probably need to run the truck/trailer over a CAT scale. Toy haulers will have heavier pin weight percentage when empty.

Attachments

• Ram_HD_DJ 4x4 Weight & Tow_MY23.pdf
    205.1 KB · Views: 9

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just purchased a 2024, 6.7L Diesel 2500 limited longhorn. Now, I'm trying to determine the max weight a 5th wheel could weight. And be safe towing
Look on the driver's door jam for the placard that has the tire pressure specifications. On that same placard will be the maximum payload for this vehicle. Every vehicle's payload will vary based on the truck's trim package and options.

A simple rule of thumb is to take the maximum weight of a 5th wheel trailer, that is the trailer's dry weight plus its payload capacity and calculate 20% of the weight. The result will be close to the pin weight the trailer will place on the truck.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look on the driver's door jam for the placard that has the tire pressure specifications. On that same placard will be the maximum payload for this vehicle. Every vehicle's payload will vary based on the truck's trim package and options.

A simple rule of thumb is to take the maximum weight of a 5th wheel trailer, that is the trailer's dry weight plus its payload capacity and calculate 20% of the weight. The result will be close to the pin weight the trailer will place on the truck.
And remember to add in all the other weights too, like the 5th wheel hitch, passenger weight, etc. Likely you will be over max if the 5er is of any size at all. That's kind of the dirty little secret of the 3/4 ton diesels, very limited for big trailers, at least to stay legal. I always advise friends to get the 1 ton if they're going to be towing decent sized trailers/rv's.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
BossHogg and jejb are right on the money. A limited longhorn is going to have one of the lowest payloads in a 2500 already, and adding a 6.7 decreases payload by another 900 lbs. Your door sticker is the answer for the payload number on your specific truck. My truck is a Laramie and payload is only 1,681 lbs before passengers. All in I sit around 1,100-1,200 lbs available payload most of the time.

You can sometimes go a little over on payload if you can stay under the rear axle weight rating but you'll need to scale the truck to really know that that number is. A 2500 just isn't really meant to tow much of a fifth wheel. There are some out there that it can tow but to stay within your weights you'll be pretty limited in what you can choose.

My general rule is: 2500 for *most* travel trailers(some still need a 3500) or goosenecks (where you can move the load back to alleviate pin weight) a 3500 single rear wheel for fifth wheel trailers under 36' and 14k lbs, a 3500 DRW for fifth wheel trailers over 36' and 14k lbs. Makes for a much more pleasant towing experience.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Agree with the above, a 2500 will do a moderately-sized fifth wheel and can handle MOST of the 'half-ton towable' fifth wheels and be okay on RAGWR, but will probably be over on payload. Much bigger than that and you're going to be overweight. Is it necessarily a problem? Depends on your driving skills and how comfortable you are being overweight.

As stated above, staying inside the specs makes for a more comfortable tow. OP's truck isn't going to have a lot of wiggle room to begin with though.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
not sure how a 2500 laramie dsl would only have 1600# or so unless an older model. my '22 laramie with just about every option has 2080# cargo cap and it handles our 10,000# 5th wheel fine, not even much squat. you should get it weighed and see what the real numbers are.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
not sure how a 2500 laramie dsl would only have 1600# or so unless an older model. my '22 laramie with just about every option has 2080# cargo cap and it handles our 10,000# 5th wheel fine, not even much squat. you should get it weighed and see what the real numbers are.
I have. Came in a little less than what's on the sticker. Pretty standard if you look up the towing specs on these trucks.

It's a 2018. My 2012 had higher numbers than my 2018.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you probably going to have to pick a 5er that is under 10,000# or maybe keep an eye out one with a layout that minimizes pin wt. these trucks can pull a lot of wt. just a little short on load capacity.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Is that from your sticker or is that an advertised number? My Bighorn only has about 2200# of payload and it's well-optioned for a Bighorn (Night edition, interior package 'B' or whatever, fifth wheel prep, snow chief package, etc.).

It depends on a lot of factors, from springs (not having the camper package makes a huge difference) to wheels and tires. It also takes into account all the OTHER options you might have on the truck.

Then you've got Ford over there with F250 diesels and the 'heavy haul' package that nets them a 3k payload. We need something like that from Ram.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is that from your sticker or is that an advertised number? My Bighorn only has about 2200# of payload and it's well-optioned for a Bighorn (Night edition, interior package 'B' or whatever, fifth wheel prep, snow chief package, etc.).

It depends on a lot of factors, from springs (not having the camper package makes a huge difference) to wheels and tires. It also takes into account all the OTHER options you might have on the truck.

Then you've got Ford over there with F250 diesels and the 'heavy haul' package that nets them a 3k payload. We need something like that from Ram.
We already have it. I have 3900# as it is. If I had gone with the same trim but added the diesel I still would have had about 3100# of payload capacity.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl

my total is from door sticker and vin check

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I suppose it's possible to have a Laramie with that much payload but I've never seen it. Seems awfully high in Laramie trim, but I'm glad it's available. The most I found on ram's bodybuilder site was 2290 lbs payload in a crew cab, 4x4, ST (Tradesman) trim.

Part of my low payload is a combo of things.... 1) Megacab. 2) Laramie trim. 3) 4x4. 4.) 6'4" bed

A 2022 MC in SLT form only has 2,030 lbs payload at best. I'd expect real world payload on a MC Laramie like mine to be similar to what I have.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm surprised Ram hasn't followed Ford's lead on this one.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think a lot of it has to do with the suspension. If I recall, aren't the F250/F350s still running leaf spring suspensions? Sounds like Fords F250 heavy haul package likely includes the leaf packs from an F350. You used to be able to do something "similar" with Rams until moving to the coil spring.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My 2023 Limited Megacab CTD has only 1800 lbs payload. That’s why I’m sticking with a bumper pull RV. I also don’t want a 5ver hitch in the bed of my truck all the time.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Getting around the 5ver hitch is the easy part if you use a Goosebox. :)

The problem is the darned suspension. I really wish Ram would've kept leafs on the 2500s.