5w20 or 5w30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5w20 = sheep ****
5w30 =proper lubrication

But I don't judge.

At this point I’m not necessarily convinced that 30w is the ultimate answer but using a good quality full synthetic 20 weight with a good quality synthetic media filter changed at intervals far less than what that oil life meter says is a fine enough alternative for most people for most applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't think there is much difference between 5w20 and 5w30, because the oil pump equals out the flow. If I was in snow state, and 20 weight smoothed out my piston slap and kept hemi tick away, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. All seriousness, there is legit arguments for either weight.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think there is much difference between 5w20 and 5w30, because the oil pump equals out the flow. If I was in snow state, and 20 weight smoothed out my piston slap and kept hemi tick away, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. All seriousness, there is legit arguments for either weight.

I didn’t say there wasn’t. I just really think that the quality 20w one uses, and how often they change it plays a big factor in whether or not you’ll become a 20w statistic.

Like I told you along time ago when I said that for argument’s sake alone, that I wished my old truck had a lot more than 70k miles on the odometer when I sold it to furthermore prove the point that it did just fine on a strict diet of Mobil 1 full synthetic 20w.

I don’t know if it matters or not but the 04 Dakota 4.7 that the ex wife kept in the divorce also got a strict diet of the same weight/same brand oil and when I split, it had well over 120k miles with no issues whatsoever.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 15 ram with 15k miles and live in Maine. I def get the ticking at startup and I think even after...originally thought it may have been a fan but I think I hear it in driver side wheel well.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t say there wasn’t. I just really think that the quality 20w one uses, and how often they change it plays a big factor in whether or not you’ll become a 20w statistic.

Like I told you along time ago when I said that for argument’s sake alone, that I wished my old truck had a lot more than 70k miles on the odometer when I sold it to furthermore prove the point that it did just fine on a strict diet of Mobil 1 full synthetic 20w.

I don’t know if it matters or not but the 04 Dakota 4.7 that the ex wife kept in the divorce also got a strict diet of the same weight/same brand oil and when I split, it had well over 120k miles with no issues whatsoever.

That very well may be true but my previous RAM had the cam and lifters go out around the 30K mark and all it ever got was PUP 5W20(supposed to be the best of the best and good enough for SRT products) from 10K on at max 6K intervals with Fram Ultra filters. I ran PYB 5W20 before that changed at 3K and 6K miles and then made the switch to PUP 5W20 at 10K. So if, IF I were going to run 5W20 it would have to be Redline because the high moly "might" offset the lower weight and provide the protection that it needs. The amount of Moly in any of Pennzoils 5W20 synthetics is pathetic at best. Also you cant compare older non Eagle Hemi's or any other engines either because their all different animals. I would at least use a Moly additive if I were going to run any other 5W20 beyond Redline.

My gas mileage sucks regardless of what oil I use and even changing fuel grades has little effect on it one way or the other. I've pretty much averaged around 17 MPG over the life of the vehicle. The only thing that would really get those numbers up across the board for all of us is running ethanol free gas which I can get but it cost's more than its worth at this point.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I will never understand peoples' compulsion to defy the manufacturer's recommendation on oil.

Do you think they are trying to sabotage you with a deliberately wrong recommendation? .

It would seem resonable to assume that the Manufacturer wants your vehicle to last beyond the warranty period for purely economic reasons. His. If it became known that dodges were crapping out right after the warranty expires it would affect future sales.

The 2018 Owners manual says that 5w20 is recommended but that you can also use 5w30 when 5w20 is not available.

Synthetic vs conventional. The owners manual mentions Shell Helix which is a full synthetic. Pennzoil oil type is not specified, Pennzoil makes both types of oil. ILSAC GF-5 from what I can gather meets the Chrysler spec. Walmart's Super Tech Full Synthetic claims to meet the ILSAC GF-5 spec on the bottle.

OilChangeP528OwnersManual.JPG OilChangeP529OwnersManual.JPG

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would seem resonable to assume that the Manufacturer wants your vehicle to last beyond the warranty period for purely economic reasons. His. If it became known that dodges were crapping out right after the warranty expires it would affect future sales.
You’re breathing too much into it. Manufactures find a balance between longevity and fuel economy. Sure, they want it to last longer than the warranty period but after the warranty is up, they couldn’t care less.

The 2018 Owners manual says that 5w20 is recommended but that you can also use 5w30 when 5w20 is not available.
Take a little bit closer look at that second screen shot you posted; that “5w30’s alright in a pinch” part only applies to the v-6’s, not the Hemis.

Synthetic vs conventional. The owners manual mentions Shell Helix which is a full synthetic. Pennzoil oil type is not specified, Pennzoil makes both types of oil. ILSAC GF-5 from what I can gather meets the Chrysler spec. Walmart's Super Tech Full Synthetic claims to meet the ILSAC GF-5 spec on the bottle.

View attachment 190155 View attachment 190156

That’s not what’s put in at the factory- the factory puts in a semi-synthetic and if you just have the dealer put in whatever the manual says, semi-synthetic is what you’re most likely gonna get.

Octane

Reaction score
I'm gonna go find me some of that sheep **** in 5w10 and see if it flows and protects better than the 5w20 sheep ****.Maybe Wallyworld sells it....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm pretty sure 5w10 is the same viscosity of sheep ****, next api group will just be sheep ****. As a matter of fact this will be great for climate change and all that stuff.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Got to give it to Toyota, they give you so many options with oil. The manual recommends 0w20 but also states you can use a thicker oil; only requirement is the oil must meet ILSAC GF-5.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reading through ALL the comments here in this topic I have come to one very sure conclusion.......I will use 5w20 and 5w30 mixture in my new 5.7 hemi and that will cover all the conclusions I have come too :emotions133: .....:cheers:.. It's all clear as mud... :favorites37:

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There has been a horse beaten here to near death and back too Many times to count!
As long as your oil is getting changed regularly (whatever that is for you) and by what you feel is right, great and all power to you! You the one paying for your truck and maintenance on it!

Cheers!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Deleted. Too far back in the thread to bring up again.

I think it’s still pretty clear. If you’re too old school and don’t feel 20w’s thick enough, then use 30w. If you’re like me and have lifetime warranty, then use the “recommended” weight. If you don’t have warranty, use the 30w.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Interesting that the manual for my 4 Runner states in Puerto Rico you can run the following oils:

0w20
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40

But recommends 0w20 in the states. 20 weight oils being required by auto manufacturers in the states is plain and simple CAFE requirements.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I just bought 2020 Ram 5.7 Hemi 1500 Limited by the way 1st dodge ever being a gm buyer for 50 + yrs must say this is the finest truck ever. In answer to post here in south Texas high heat I will run 10w-30 syn after break in period.

AIR FORCE VETERAN
california run too amsoil 10 years now 59,000 has the correct ms dodge oil specks do it cuz on 105 days sitting in traffic 5 mph a hour feel its better !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
My buddy got the manuals for his 2017 before he even had the truck,and his early 2017 version of the manual still has the note saying 5W-30 is okay to use if 5W-20 meeting MS 6395 isn't available.He ordered the manuals from the dealer the day he ordered the truck,and he had them probably about 6 weeks before he had the truck.
2010 says 5w-30 in next space on oil too ! guess they couldn't make up there mind like a lot of us ! all I know is in years doing cars trucks tare downs on a engine seem better shape if 5w-30 and 5w-40 minnesota used 0w-30 cuz -25 ion moorings yuck thanks God for block heaters ! had two in my 69 chevy truck worked well all warm in a hour !

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2010 says 5w-30 in next space on oil too ! guess they couldn't make up there mind like a lot of us ! all I know is in years doing cars trucks tare downs on a engine seem better shape if 5w-30 and 5w-40 minnesota used 0w-30 cuz -25 ion moorings yuck thanks God for block heaters ! had two in my 69 chevy truck worked well all warm in a hour !

I run oil pan heaters on everything I drive in the winter,except my company vehicle,it's lucky if it gets plugged in,lol.A stick on 150w oil pan heater and a block heater means they'll start at -35,and helps keep the initial rattling to a mininium,lol.