6.4 Hemi HD - Mileage Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad gets 9-10 Evic towing his 7000lb toy hauler at 60-65 and 16.5 -17 Evic empty at 70 in his 2012 3500 drw cummins... after doing tune, egr and dpf delete, and 5" exhaust.

I'd say we aren't doing too bad.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Another tank of empty running, mostly around town. Hand Calc 12.8 mpg, EVIC(Lie-O-Meter)14.7 mpg

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So yesterday we headed to Missoula for or summer vacation and although I didn't had calc the mpg I was very happy with what the EVIC showed. I left from SoCal up I-15 through Idaho Falls and averaged about 16.6. Much of this route is somewhat flat with the occasional long grades up and down but overall is an uphill climb, albeit very shallow. Several times in mountain passes it dropped it to the 15.0 range but quickly went up as the road flattened out.

We had three people and a lot of gear in the bed. My estimate is about 1000 lbs with everything including people. We ended the trip doing 1200 miles in about 17.5 hours with an average of 18.2 mpg. I have 4.10 gears and the vast majority of the trip the cruise was set at 79mph.

image.jpg

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Old thread but I will add mine. Out of boredom today I filled the tank and hit the highway for a controlled (as controlled as I could get anyways) test. Ambient temperature 6 deg celcius, we are already running winter fuel here, 87 octane with up to 10% ethanol in the tank, wind speed was a sustained 30kmh from the west. The stretch was west of town on a two lane highway with the on ramp for the start in the same spot as the off ramp for finish and a good mix of small rolling road and flats. I reset the lie-o-meter just prior to accelerating to highway speed using about 1/2 throttle or so to get the big girl moving. Cruise control set at speed limit (110 kmph) and let the truck do it's thing. Just my fat ass, a full tank and the tonneau cover with some random scatterings in the RamBoxes. Heading west I was going directly into the wind, coming back I had it at my back. The results show me that these trucks are like trying to push a piece of plywood sideways through water. Two attached images of the EVIC (I used that as a bar so I could see the difference) In short- 14.17 mpg US (16.6L/100km) into the wind, 18.38 mpg US (12.8L/100km) with the wind. 3.73 limited slip out back. I know I'm not supposed to use EVIC but so far it has been within .5 l/100km of my hand calculations either way.

Attachments

• west.jpg
    west.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 90
  • east.jpg
    east.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I understand that most of my driving is in town. I only get around 9 HC. Took a n empty 500 mile roundtrip to Houston over 500 miles total, never over 75, CC as much as possible. I only got 13.2 HC.
I wonder what hurts more the 2.5" leveling kit or the 35" mud tires.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Doing my pre-purchase research: all things being stock, how much of a difference can I expect in MPG between 3.73 and 4.10?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Doing my pre-purchase research: all things being stock, how much of a difference can I expect in MPG between 3.73 and 4.10?

According to fuelly.com, the average for the 6.4L is 12.5 mpg. You can go into each profile and see their gear ratio on some of them along with the ratio of city and highway driving they do. I would trust most of the numbers there due to them being hand calculated rather than the lie-o-meter EVIC numbers.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
MPG is all over the place on here. 13-18mpg hwy. miles? That's like the spred between city & hwy.:confused:

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
MPG is all over the place on here. 13-18mpg hwy. miles? That's like the spred between city & hwy.:confused:

I've had both on the highway. Keep
It below 70, and you can squeeze some decent milage out. It falls off a cliff when you get any faster. I had a trip from Vegas to Salt Lake into a headwind get me 13. It's all uphill, and 80-85 mph speed limits. My truck gets the best mileage(18.5-19) with the cruise set at 67. The MDS is on most of the time, and I just let the idiots pass. They can endanger themselves, have bad mileage, and get there less than a minute sooner for their speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had both on the highway. Keep
It below 70, and you can squeeze some decent milage out. It falls off a cliff when you get any faster. I had a trip from Vegas to Salt Lake into a headwind get me 13. It's all uphill, and 80-85 mph speed limits. My truck gets the best mileage(18.5-19) with the cruise set at 67. The MDS is on most of the time, and I just let the idiots pass. They can endanger themselves, have bad mileage, and get there less than a minute sooner for their speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With my stock tires cruise set at 65 I still could not get anything above 16 miles per gallon, I think some of these trucks just flat out get better mileage than the others.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

City versus highway is a part of it. You also have to remember not everyone's highway driving is the same speed. Here in Texas, most highways are 75 mph and some as high was 80. I can tell you that you are not going to get anywhere near the fuel mileage doing 75 mph that one would get in a state that has a 65 mph highway speed.

A major contributing factor is how you drive. There was a study does when I was at Cummins which stated that a person's driving habits has the most effect on fuel mileage and can make as mush as a 30% difference. Small things can make a big difference like coasting to a stop instead of accelerating until the last minute. I would post the DPF on the report, which is a good read, but I am currently freezing my butt of in a deer blind. I will do it when I get home Sunday if I remember.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
City versus highway is a part of it. You also have to remember not everyone's highway driving is the same speed. Here in Texas, most highways are 75 mph and some as high was 80. I can tell you that you are not going to get anywhere near the fuel mileage doing 75 mph that one would get in a state that has a 65 mph highway speed.

A major contributing factor is how you drive. There was a study does when I was at Cummins which stated that a person's driving habits has the most effect on fuel mileage and can make as mush as a 30% difference. Small things can make a big difference like coasting to a stop instead of accelerating until the last minute. I would post the DPF on the report, which is a good read, but I am currently freezing my butt of in a deer blind. I will do it when I get home Sunday if I remember.
Freezing? What is it? 50 there?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Freezing? What is it? 50 there?

It was about 40 this morning, but what really makes me feel cold is the sitting without getting any blood circulation. That and the early morning fog was a little thicker than usual making my clothes damp after riding on the long 4 wheeler ride to get to the blind. I was being nice and let the wife use the Hijet to get to her blind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank