6.4 Truck engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Looking at reviews on line I saw a recent video that stated the 6.4 MDS engine is not put in the 2500 RAM trucks. Is this true? On another video a talking head stated that on the gas engines, when towing, you are limited/governed to 35MPH going uphill. I've not seen reference to these before so would like to know if true.

In other news, I sat in a 2023 Laramie yesterday and really like the improved leather seats. The 2014 models I tried were not comfortable to me so I bought upgraded cloth in a Big Horn edition with a Cummins. Then sat in a 2023 Limited and there were so many switches and gadgets I thought I was in the cockpit of a 747. Really like the RAM but no 6.4 on the lot to test drive. Would appreciate the answer from those who have them to my questions above.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Looking at reviews on line I saw a recent video that stated the 6.4 MDS engine is not put in the 2500 RAM trucks. Is this true? On another video a talking head stated that on the gas engines, when towing, you are limited/governed to 35MPH going uphill. I've not seen reference to these before so would like to know if true.

In other news, I sat in a 2023 Laramie yesterday and really like the improved leather seats. The 2014 models I tried were not comfortable to me so I bought upgraded cloth in a Big Horn edition with a Cummins. Then sat in a 2023 Limited and there were so many switches and gadgets I thought I was in the cockpit of a 747. Really like the RAM but no 6.4 on the lot to test drive. Would appreciate the answer from those who have them to my questions above.
All gas engines in the trucks have MDS now,including the heavy duty trucks with the 6.4.The only non-MDS engines in the FCA/Stellentis line up,are the 6 speed manual transmission Challengers .The manual transmission 5.7 / 6.4 and Hellcat 6.2's in the Challengers are the only non-mds engines offered now.The earlier 2500's with a 5.7 were non-mds,but you haven't been able to get a 5.7 / 2500 for almost 10 years now.
Where ever you're getting your info from,is totally whacked,as that's a myth about 35 mph too,lol

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looking at reviews on line I saw a recent video that stated the 6.4 MDS engine is not put in the 2500 RAM trucks. Is this true?
Not sure exactly what you mean here. But the 6.4 is not an option on either of the limited 2500's for '23. It is available on the lower line 2500's though.

On another video a talking head stated that on the gas engines, when towing, you are limited/governed to 35MPH going uphill.
Nope.
In other news, I sat in a 2023 Laramie yesterday and really like the improved leather seats.
Laramie does not have leather seats. They are just leather trimmed. Still nice seats. I had an 18 Laramie 2500. No complaints about the seats.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depending on location it can be tough to find a 6.4 on a lot. I looked at multiple dealers with no luck, so I ordered mine. Great truck so far, 75k miles and counting.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Do not watch YouTube. They have learned you get more clicks and comments when you tell lies.

MDS is why the 6.4 was made. The truck can do 55 plus in 2nd gear.

The last time it was true that no 2500 had MDS was 2013. The last time you had the option of no MDS was 2018. (Model years)

Buy it, drive it and use it. I wish I could figure out how people buy a truck and keep the miles off of it. That is like getting married and not having relations so the next guy gets a better deal!

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Thank you for the replies. BTW, the Limited I sat in was a 1500 5.7. I was just comparing interiors and controls. Good to know about the lack of a 6.4 in the Limited though. On the controls I was looking for the ignition switch on the dash. Could not find even a push button switch. The salesman had left me alone so I did not ask. Might be a fob start. A 2023 Big Horn had the ignition like what was in my 2014 Big Horn. Place the fob in like it's a key. Checking 2024 prices the Level one and two packages are much higher. But have to order one to get color and options I want on a Laramie.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Did you google those things before asking the questions here?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do not watch YouTube. They have learned you get more clicks and comments when you tell lies.

The last time it was true that no 2500 had MDS was 2013. The last time you had the option of no MDS was 2018. (Model years)

Buy it, drive it and use it. I wish I could figure out how people buy a truck and keep the miles off of it. That is like getting married and not having relations so the next guy gets a better deal!
I picked up my 2023 on Mar 24th, 5 months ago. It's my every day driver, and I just went over 1700 miles so that's less than 350 miles per month - most of those towing the boat to the lake to go fishing every week. I'm retired, and I live quite rural, but there eally isn't anywhere I need to go every day. It has sat for up to a week at a time without moving from it's parking spot in front of the house. :driver:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

For me, it's more than retiring, global pandemic, and work from home - it's because the new stuff coming out is way overpriced and you can't get what you want anymore, mostly thanks to EPA.

It's not the good old days anymore.

If Ram keeps making 6.4L Hemi, I would consider a new Laramie since they now have the ZF8 transmission that replaced the marginal 66RFE I have. Service part support for RFE is becoming a serious problem out there. I'm getting nervous.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Confused. I'm going to need more information on this "relations" thing you speak of. Can you draw me a map??

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So true. Click bait is the name of the game there.
I wish I could figure out how people buy a truck and keep the miles off of it. That is like getting married and not having relations so the next guy gets a better deal!
For us, it's because we almost entirely use the truck to do truck stuff. Bring bulky stuff home and tow trailers. We have a Hybrid car that we do all of our local running around with, and even some of our longer drives. Heck of a lot cheaper to replace that every few years than my truck or the wife's new Pacifica.

My 22 will be a year old in October and I just rolled over 7K with it. Hoping it's another 20 year truck for me.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So true. Click bait is the name of the game there.

For us, it's because we almost entirely use the truck to do truck stuff. Bring bulky stuff home and tow trailers. We have a Hybrid car that we do all of our local running around with, and even some of our longer drives. Heck of a lot cheaper to replace that every few years than my truck or the wife's new Pacifica.

My 22 will be a year old in October and I just rolled over 7K with it. Hoping it's another 20 year truck for me.

+1

My '17 has 53k, but most miles were early on. With pandemic and retirement, wife's little Mazda car gets used mostly. And in summer a ride my Harley as much as I can.

I'm just nervous about reliability and lack of service parts.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
To answer Zoe, yes I googled and found the inaccurate information. That is why I asked the questions here. Suspected they were wrong but wanted to hear from actual users rather than talking heads.

To Hemiman, I notice you use different oil than what is now recommended by Ram. I believe the new ones are 0-40. Was that the case in 2017? I'm trying to get a sense for what is different about the 6.4 now.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To answer Zoe, yes I googled and found the inaccurate information. That is why I asked the questions here. Suspected they were wrong but wanted to hear from actual users rather than talking heads.

To Hemiman, I notice you use different oil than what is now recommended by Ram. I believe the new ones are 0-40. Was that the case in 2017? I'm trying to get a sense for what is different about the 6.
The 6.4 has been 0w-40 forever I believe in the 2500. Several guys use redline 5w-30 in the 6.4, myself included. The last change I switched to redline from the PUP 0w-40. I have no complaints with the switch. I changed because the 0w-40 would shear down to less than redline 5w-30 for viscosity in my truck in about 4000 miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

To Hemiman, I notice you use different oil than what is now recommended by Ram. I believe the new ones are 0-40. Was that the case in 2017? I'm trying to get a sense for what is different about the 6.4 now.
All 6.4's have been 0W-40 ever since they introduced the engine in 2011 in the cars.
Quite a few guys are running Redline 5W-30 in them though.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup - no issues with 5W-30, shouldn't be anyway since 5W-20 is spec for 5.7L Hemi. They spec'd 40wt for the Hellcat racing engine, then just left it for the truck engine since they can be worked hard for those that actually use it like a truck engine instead of a grocery-getter.

Red Line 5W-30 is nearly a 40 wt to begin with, and doesn't shear down at all, in my testing. There ya go...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
...he 6.4 is not an option on either of the limited 2500's for '23.
I didn't believe you so I had to go to RamTrucks dot com for myself.

What's even weirder is that it shows the "only option" (oxymoron if I ever saw one) for an engine is the Cummins, at a price tag of $9,695.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My '20 (1500) will be 4 years old in November and has just over 28k on it. I'm hoping it will be another 5 year truck for me (just have to convince the wife that I need a 2500 for when we sell our '21 Class C and get an Airstream...).