65RFE swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin-591500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 x2
Engine
5.9 Magnum, 5.9 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel
/title
ive run out of patience with my trucks 46re. i was originally going to just rebuild it but i realized that its already relatively a lost cause because the truck was neglected before i owned it. ive heard a few people talk about swapping for a 65rfe, but i cant find any tutorial online. has anyone here every attempted to do this? if so was it a job that was worth the time? ill be going to college next year and i really need to make this truck more efficient, and to be frank, the OE is half the reason that mileage is **** on dodges.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Just get the 46re rebuilt. If the rest of the truck is a lost cause, switching to a different transmission isn't going to change that. Also the 65RFE would require a standalone transmission controller let alone finding a flexplate and converter that would be compatible.

Rebuilt trans with new converter that has a solid functioning lockup is the best thing you can do for highway mileage.

OP
OP
Austin-591500

Austin-591500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 x2
Engine
Just get the 46re rebuilt. If the rest of the truck is a lost cause, switching to a different transmission isn't going to change that. Also the 65RFE would require a standalone transmission controller let alone finding a flexplate and converter that would be compatible.

Rebuilt trans with new converter that has a solid functioning lockup is the best thing you can do for highway mileage.
trucks not a lost cause, the transmission that the crackhead ran into the ground is. my highway mileage is good but ill need it to be a better town driving truck, as i get lucky to get 9 MPG town. highway ive managed to pull 17 MPG

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
trucks not a lost cause, the transmission that the crackhead ran into the ground is. my highway mileage is good but ill need it to be a better town driving truck, as i get lucky to get 9 MPG town. highway ive managed to pull 17 MPG
What makes it a lost cause to rebuild? That’s kind of the point of a rebuild. It could be trashed inside, a rebuild fixes that.

as for a town driving truck, the 4 speed is better. My daily is a 6speed and around town I prefer the Dodge 4spd. No constant shifting

OP
OP
Austin-591500

Austin-591500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 x2
Engine
What makes it a lost cause to rebuild? That’s kind of the point of a rebuild. It could be trashed inside, a rebuild fixes that.

as for a town driving truck, the 4 speed is better. My daily is a 6speed and around town I prefer the Dodge 4spd. No constant shifting
my trans feels like it shifts, if you get a little high on the rpm it lurches like it just shifted but it didnt, and doing that almost daily it gets worse by the week. feel like it might be broken beyond repair but im not much of a trans person

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
A good rebuild will fix little things like that and for much cheaper than a late model conversion