65RFE trans problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7, which is really a 2010 (all parts are 2010) with 185,000 miles. About four years ago Dodge replaced the original transmission under the lifetime powertrain warranty. No issues since then.

The replacement had about 50k miles on it and I - apparently foolishly - decided to replace the transmission filters. I put a large plastic bin under the pan and was able to catch most of the oil. It measured 8 1/2 quarts.

I replaced the two filters using Wix filters, carefully torquing the spin on. Replaced the pan using the gasket, no RTV; everything there looks good, no leaks. I let it down off the jack stands, put 7 quarts of Mopar ATF+4 in. Started, ran through the gears. Slowly added another 1 1/2 quarts, checking the level carefully.

So test drive: Went into reverse fine and seemed to go into drive but it slipped and dropped into "limp" mode. I added another half quart; things quieted down and I was able to drive it with only a little slipping in first gear. So I added another half quart and it seemed to shift and operate fine. Drove it around for a few miles (about 20). Everything ok,

I parked the truck and the next morning I checked for leaks: no leaks. Started it; there was a 2-3 second delay when I shifted it into drive. Slipped with a gentle takeoff and went into limp. Reverse was still ok. I thought I could hear some dinging, like maybe the torque converter was dry.

I checked the fluid, level still ok (more on this below). I turned the truck off and limp mode cleared, but still slipped in drive. I did this a couple more times and it went into first gear, no slipping, no limp mode. Drove it 20 miles, no issues, shifts ok. Parked for 30 minutes, restarted, everything OK.

Here are my questions - any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

1) What is the purpose of the transmission dipstick? On mine there are two holes near the bottom and two more about 1 1/2 inches up. Just over the bottom hole is stamped "add", then "cold" over the second hole. Between the top two holes is stamped "hot". I always run through the gears slowly then check the fluid engine running in park. I ask because whether the transmission is hot, cold, or whatever the fluid level is exactly the same. At present the level is about 1/4 inch below the first top hole, below "hot" after driving 20 miles.

2) Should I bite the bullet and redo the filter replacement? I've always found Wix to be good filters, I can get a Mopar for like, 4 times more. Maybe a filter issue?

3) Should I just keep running it for a while and see if it gets better?

4) Last, should I try adding more fluid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the last post in this thread, there is a chart that will let you measure transmission fluid level on the dipstick based on trans temp (which your screen will tell you).

Most people report that when they have issues after a filter replacement it is with an improperly installed push in filter. Look into the two pieces and how they go on, you may need to drop the pan again and fix the push on filter.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most people report that when they have issues after a filter replacement it is with an improperly installed push in filter.

I don't think it was a mistake to change the fluid/filter at 50k. You probably could have stretched it a long time, but new fluid will definitely add life. You're right, Wix is a good brand. And you used Mopar fluid...so all that was good thinking on your part. IMO.

Did you remove/replace the little rubber seal for the flat filter? The one which goes 'up' into the valve body? And you're sure the new one was properly seated in place? That's one thing which can trip people up and affect shifting. That's basically the seal which draws fluid up. If that seal wasn't properly in place or got boogered up in the process, the trans could suck in a bit of air (less fluid) and cause shifting issues. And of course, making sure the canister filter is on tight enough (which I'll assume you got that tight.

Yes transmission fluid does expand when hot. The expansion is amplified by the fact that components stick into the transmission pan and a little expansion makes a big impact. Say, for example you had a glass of water half full, and you took another glass (which fit inside the first one)...and you pushed the 2nd glass down into the water just a little...you can see how much water rises just pushing down a little. That's kind of like what happens in a transmission as far as reading it on the dipstick.

Do you have a code reader that lets you read/clear transmission codes? I would want to see what the codes were. It might have just been low pressure from the fluid change process. How has it been acting lately?

Worst case you could drop the fluid (catch the fluid in a clean pan and reuse it) and inspect that little seal or just put new one in it. I'd probably unspin the canister filter and make sure the O-ring didn't get boogered...or the old o-ring didn't stay in place and you double-o-ring'd by mistake. It wouldn't take much to pop the pan back off...even though it's a messy job. Filter the fluid with an autobody paint filter while putting in (any small independent body shop or auto paint shop would probably give you one filter for free ...like THIS).

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to slam Wix. I've used their filters in the past with good results.

I got some help from a Dodge transmission expert. He told me about a service bulletin referencing issues with some aftermarket filters. I ordered Mopar OEM filters, took it apart, and installed them. I looked at the seal carefully; it looked ok and so I left it alone.

Long story short, after installing the OEM filters the truck now shifts without delay, stopped going into limp mode, and is running and shifting as it should.

I am attaching the bulletin and pictures of the Wix and Mopar filters.

Attachments

• RFE delayed engagement.pdf
    702.3 KB · Views: 6
  • OEM filter 1.jpg
    OEM filter 1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Wix filter 2.jpg
    Wix filter 2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 7