66rfe sonnax line pressure booster installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Like the title says I have the sonnax line pressure booster installed. Ive had it installed in for a week now and I can say I feel it does very well when the trans is under heavy load or heavy acceleration. It will firm up the shifts and feels not as soft going through the gears. You don’t notice much under normal acceleration. Do think it is a total game changer? No I don’t but I think it helps with some of the soft feeling shifts the rfe has. It maybe even better if the truck had a trans tune not sure. I believe it is for most of the rfe transmissions and just plugs right in to the side of the trans where you line pressure sensor is located. So it’s just plug in booster to The sensor and then plug the truck side into the booster. 2 minute job.
I did this upgrade because I’m getting ready to upgrade the valvebody to the sonnax universal unit. I’m hoping in conjunction with this and the valvebody I will achieve better and smoother or firm up the shifts that the rfe is lacking and cure my hard downshifts I’m experiencing.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thank you for reporting.

Summit and Rock Auto remain out of rebuilt Sonnax valve bodies with no eta

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you for reporting.

Summit and Rock Auto remain out of rebuilt Sonnax valve bodies with no eta
Hard to get right now for sure. If I come across one I will let ya know. I’m hoping to get mine installed this by the end of the week. I’ve got that and a set of bilstein 5100s to get put on. Luckily I have a warm place to do it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hard to get right now for sure. If I come across one I will let ya know. I’m hoping to get mine installed this by the end of the week. I’ve got that and a set of bilstein 5100s to get put on. Luckily I have a warm place to do it.

Well, Ohio ain't exactly 'warm', but sure the hell is better than here! I do have a heated pole barn, though. Currently the kid's truck is laying in there waiting for a new wiring harness with unknown delivery schedule. :rolleyes:

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha thanks guys! Good luck with the install and keep us updated how it goes.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got the sonnax valvebody and solenoid pack installed. The install went very smooth with no issues. Took all of about 1 1/2 hr just because I let it drain for a while just to get as much fluid out as possible.
So far so good just taking it easy while it is relearning drive behavior. Only have about 50 miles on it so far but some of the shifts seem to be sorta clunky but hopefully should smooth out the more I drive it.
The one thing I didn’t do was a quick learn process which I would have but the scan tool isn’t something I have. Some people say to just drive it and some say do the quick learn procedure. I called the dealerships and a couple of trans shops to do it but can’t fit me in until at least next week so if it doesn’t seem to smooth out by then I will take in and let them reset everything with the quick learn process. They all said they would need my truck for the day and would cost around 130 bucks to do it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@buckeyexx - thanks for posting an update.

I bought a new scanner that might work, then again, Chrysler was one of the OEM's that locked out a lot of their own electronic data, which is why there's a big subgroup on Alpha OBD in the Forum. I needed a general tuner with bi-directional control because our household has 4 different vehicle brands. No way I'm paying for OEM diagnostic software 4 times.

If you were closer I'd let you try it out, but it's too risky shipping it around. Don't need United Package Smashers demolishing it.

ScubaSteve178

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Got the sonnax valvebody and solenoid pack installed. The install went very smooth with no issues. Took all of about 1 1/2 hr just because I let it drain for a while just to get as much fluid out as possible.
So far so good just taking it easy while it is relearning drive behavior. Only have about 50 miles on it so far but some of the shifts seem to be sorta clunky but hopefully should smooth out the more I drive it.
The one thing I didn’t do was a quick learn process which I would have but the scan tool isn’t something I have. Some people say to just drive it and some say do the quick learn procedure. I called the dealerships and a couple of trans shops to do it but can’t fit me in until at least next week so if it doesn’t seem to smooth out by then I will take in and let them reset everything with the quick learn process. They all said they would need my truck for the day and would cost around 130 bucks to do it.

I've always read that you need to do the relearn to correct the CVIs with the new valve body, and trying to do the "drive it easy" way can actually cause damage to the trans.

If you have an Android device or a laptop, you can get AlfaOBD, as well as any means of OBD interface (I've been using an Android and the OBDlink MX+ for wireless connectivity), and do the relearn that way. Probably the most comprehensive and economical scantool option out there for our trucks.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@buckeyexx - thanks for posting an update.

I bought a new scanner that might work, then again, Chrysler was one of the OEM's that locked out a lot of their own electronic data, which is why there's a big subgroup on Alpha OBD in the Forum. I needed a general tuner with bi-directional control because our household has 4 different vehicle brands. No way I'm paying for OEM diagnostic software 4 times.

If you were closer I'd let you try it out, but it's too risky shipping it around. Don't need United Package Smashers demolishing it.
No problem. I will update more once it gets the kinks worked out.
Im Not sure if what you have would work or not but I appreciate the thought and completely understand not shipping it around. I don’t trust shipping companies to take of personal items. I deal with them weekly. I’m going to just take it in I think and let a shop do it for me.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've always read that you need to do the relearn to correct the CVIs with the new valve body, and trying to do the "drive it easy" way can actually cause damage to the trans.

If you have an Android device or a laptop, you can get AlfaOBD, as well as any means of OBD interface (I've been using an Android and the OBDlink MX+ for wireless connectivity), and do the relearn that way. Probably the most comprehensive and economical scantool option out there for our trucks.
That’s what I’m afraid of. I don’t want to cause any damage.

DodgeDude1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you drop or swap the VB, you have to do a relearn before you drive it.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you drop or swap the VB, you have to do a relearn before you drive it.
I've heard both ways but so far mine is doing better and seems to be smoothing out. I did how ever disconnect the battery and touch the negative and positive together.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why? Say more.
Its suppose to be so that the cvi values can be cleared and can start a new relearn for the clutches. I actually called a dealer and they suggested to just drive it around easy for the first 100-150 miles (I know they are not always right). If that doesnt work Im going to take it in so they can hook it up to a scanner. So far so good.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Its suppose to be so that the cvi values can be cleared and can start a new relearn for the clutches. I actually called a dealer and they suggested to just drive it around easy for the first 100-150 miles (I know they are not always right). If that doesnt work Im going to take it in so they can hook it up to a scanner. So far so good.

Which is what I'm hoping. Because the way I am set up I can't use re-learn software without tearing out the tuner I already have installed. Not doing that.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Which is what I'm hoping. Because the way I am set up I can't use re-learn software without tearing out the tuner I already have installed. Not doing that.
Yeah Im not sure how that would work.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went ahead and switched out the input and output speed sensors along with the line pressure sensor while I’m servicing everything. I figured it can’t hurt.