66rfe sonnax line pressure booster installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just to update things so far. I have yet to get my truck in to get a relearn procedure done and still plan too.Still has the hard downshifts into 4th but every other gear is great. I actually had an appointment scheduled but had to cancel because things came up and couldn’t drop my truck off. Going to reschedule for later in the week hopefully.
One thing that I noticing so far and not sure if it has to do with the amsoil SS fluid or the valvebody or even the line pressure sensor but I am noticing the temp runs around 159-161 consistently. Before the swap out it would always run around 168-170ish at full warm up. Im guessing it has to do with the fluid but I had amsoil oem in it before I switched to the signature series. Could also be a combo of all of the things together. Just thought I would update.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just to update things so far. I have yet to get my truck in to get a relearn procedure done and still plan too.Still has the hard downshifts into 4th but every other gear is great. I actually had an appointment scheduled but had to cancel because things came up and couldn’t drop my truck off. Going to reschedule for later in the week hopefully.
One thing that I noticing so far and not sure if it has to do with the amsoil SS fluid or the valvebody or even the line pressure sensor but I am noticing the temp runs around 159-161 consistently. Before the swap out it would always run around 168-170ish at full warm up. Im guessing it has to do with the fluid but I had amsoil oem in it before I switched to the signature series. Could also be a combo of all of the things together. Just thought I would update.

Sounds like swap needs relearn. Crap.
If I had known all this I would have done this first then added tuner.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like swap needs relearn. Crap.
If I had known all this I would have done this first then added tuner.
Yeah I’m thinking so or at least I’m hoping that’s all it needs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I don't suppose a battery disconnect is enough for a re-learn, eh? Damn electronics!!!

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't suppose a battery disconnect is enough for a re-learn, eh? Damn electronics!!!
Nope tried that. I disconnected the negative and positive and held them together for a minute hoping it would do something. I have read you can do that for some things but apparently not for this situation. I have another appointment made to get the relearn done so we will see.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just buy HP Tuners ;)
And this HP Tuners will allow you to do quick learn process? And is it user friendly? I’m all ears if there is something out there that will allow me to do things myself and dont need to be certified to operate the thing.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I appreciate the response. It looks like it may do alot of things including transmission diagnostics but for the price of the HP Tuners I would be better off letting a shop do the work. That scan tool is starting at 399.00 and doesnt exactly say weather or not you can do a quick learn. Even if it could it is still pricey.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just buy HP Tuners ;)

Already researched - for me, I'd have to tear off all my tuner stuff, install a re-learn tune, then re-add all my tuner stuff. In addition to the transmission hardware. No thanks.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got the truck back today. Dropped it off Monday to have the relearn procedure done and so far so good. It’s in its adaptive learn process and is a little clunky but seems to be getting better. The 4th gear hard downshifts feel much better right now and I feel it will get better the more miles I get on it until it learns how I drive. The shop didnt charge a thing to do it because they kept for 3 days when they were to have it done the same day I dropped it off. I would have gladly paid for it as long as it is taken care of. I will update more after I put a few hundred miles on it.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Already researched - for me, I'd have to tear off all my tuner stuff, install a re-learn tune, then re-add all my tuner stuff. In addition to the transmission hardware. No thanks.
Do you have trans tune or just an engine tune on your truck? I’m asking because I wouldn’t think if you don’t have a trans tune then you should be ok since when doing a relearn procedure it is strictly going through the trans software and nothing to do with engine. Maybe you have found something I’m not aware of.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I got the truck back today. Dropped it off Monday to have the relearn procedure done and so far so good. It’s in its adaptive learn process and is a little clunky but seems to be getting better. The 4th gear hard downshifts feel much better right now and I feel it will get better the more miles I get on it until it learns how I drive. The shop didnt charge a thing to do it because they kept for 3 days when they were to have it done the same day I dropped it off. I would have gladly paid for it as long as it is taken care of. I will update more after I put a few hundred miles on it.

Crap. I'm happy for you, but unhappy for me. But, congratulations and happy trucking!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Do you have trans tune or just an engine tune on your truck? I’m asking because I wouldn’t think if you don’t have a trans tune then you should be ok since when doing a relearn procedure it is strictly going through the trans software and nothing to do with engine. Maybe you have found something I’m not aware of.

I have DiabloSport Edge Pulsar in-line ECM with pre-programmed tune. Talking with some of the tuners out there, I would have to tear that off, take it in for trans tune, then put it all back on again. Ok, it's not brain surgery, but it took some time to shoehorn that thing in the engine bay, and also to download the most recent software into it.

The tuner dude said there is only one control module, and people incorrectly refer to it sometimes as an ECM because those were 1st to market. It is properly called PCM now, it has all the power controls in it.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would have thought that the pulsar would have nothing to do with a trans relearn procedure but then again I haven’t looked to much into things like that. If it goes thru the PCM then I can see how that could effect things. At least it’s not something you have to worry about right now.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crap. I'm happy for you, but unhappy for me. But, congratulations and happy trucking!
Thanks! I’m hoping it stays this way. Only time will tell. Good luck with yours if and when you do it.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How's your transmission been behaving with the upgraded parts? Mind if I ask ballpark how much it ran for the Sonnax parts + install?
Well to be honest it went back to the same issue I was having before so I believe I had more issues than just the valve body. It never had any slippage or failed to shift it just had some really hard downshifts mainly from 5-4. All work I done myself so no labor other than relearn. So it would quite a bit more if having done by a shop.
Sonnax valve body w/ solenoid pack-$700
Amsoil fluid- $100
oem filters-$70
Sonnax line pressure boost-$50
Relearn procedure-$100

The valve body can be had cheaper but at the time it was hard to find and I ended getting it from a trans parts shop and spent more than I should have. I haven’t looked lately to see if they are available now. I recently traded the truck off after all the work I had done to it but it is what it is.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Thanks, @buckeyexx -- that's very helpful!
Did you trade into another 66RFE with the Power Wagon?
I'm not having any issues with my 2017 yet, but I am on the verge of sinking a bunch of money into the truck with suspension and other goodies and starting to have second thoughts. It really seems like it is a matter of when, not if, the 66RFE will fail. I am seriously considering trading into a 2019+ with the ZF 8-speed transmission.

I have 100K on the truck so my worry is upgrading the valve body and other parts -- but maybe the clutch internals are already worn.. the damage done. Who knows. Feels like a gamble sticking with the 66RFE versus trading out.

Love the truck overall, just soured on the transmission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks, @buckeyexx -- that's very helpful!
Did you trade into another 66RFE with the Power Wagon?
I'm not having any issues with my 2017 yet, but I am on the verge of sinking a bunch of money into the truck with suspension and other goodies and starting to have second thoughts. It really seems like it is a matter of when, not if, the 66RFE will fail. I am seriously considering trading into a 2019+ with the ZF 8-speed transmission.

I have 100K on the truck so my worry is upgrading the valve body and other parts -- but maybe the clutch internals are already worn.. the damage done. Who knows. Feels like a gamble sticking with the 66RFE versus trading out.

Love the truck overall, just soured on the transmission.
Yes I did. Love the power wagon and have always wanted one.
The 66rfe honestly doesn’t worry me too much. Like I said before it never slipped or had any other problems other than the hard downshifts out of 5-4. I was just living with it shifting crappy. I had just traveled from Ohio to Florida and back with that truck a month ago and didn’t have an issue. Heck I’ve even towed upwards of 15k with trans doing that and never had an issue. It honestly felt better with a load on it than running empty. The old truck did have 165k on it and ran great but I got a pretty good trade in on it and talked them down a bit so I pulled the trigger on the power wagon.

I will say the transmission in power wagon was replaced before I bought it but again I wasn’t worried about it because it shifts like butter and is night and day different on down shifts. I drove it on a long test drive just to check things out. Would I have love to have one with the 8 speed? I sure would but the price they want for the 5th gen power wagon is absurd.

In my opinion whether it is ram, ford or Chevy they all have something that has problems. I say don’t worry about the trans if it’s going good and do whatever you want to it. We only live once so we gotta have fun while we can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca