6in suspension and a 3in body lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgehound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 magnum
Hi I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport with a 6" suspension lift! I want to put a 3" body lift but I am wondering if I would have to alter the driveshaft, axels, spacing/offset, and would it just eat up my u-joints! Basically would I have to change anything to my truck to be able to have a 3in body lift! I have an automatic transmission also. Thanks! :)

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport with a 6" suspension lift! I want to put a 3" body lift but I am wondering if I would have to alter the driveshaft, axels, spacing/offset, and would it just eat up my u-joints! Basically would I have to change anything to my truck to be able to have a 3in body lift! I have an automatic transmission also. Thanks! :)

All a body lift does, is lift the body off the frame. It doesn't change anything with your suspension or drivetrain

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
All a body lift does, is lift the body off the frame. It doesn't change anything with your suspension or drivetrain

+1, won't affect suspension/drive train. I think you need a steering extension and trans linkage extension but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe gap guards too if the space between frame/body bugs you at all.

bloombloom88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1, won't affect suspension/drive train. I think you need a steering extension and trans linkage extension but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe gap guards too if the space between frame/body bugs you at all.
For a 2001 I'm not sure if the steering extension is needed, I'm sure it is and most kits include them. Not sure about the trans linkage.. Gap guards are not included from the kits I've seen for 4th gens

OP
OP
D

Dodgehound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 magnum
Thats what I meant would I need a trans linkage extension! Are they hard to put on and expensive if I Do need one? Thanks!

zpaulis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Have a 5" suspension and 3" body on my 96. If you get the performance accessories 3" kit it will come with everything you need.. Just make sure you watch the brake lines as your lifting the cab off the body.. Mine are fine but a little tight. Will be buying extended brake lines shortly.

OP
OP
D

Dodgehound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 magnum
Have a 5" suspension and 3" body on my 96. If you get the performance accessories 3" kit it will come with everything you need.. Just make sure you watch the brake lines as your lifting the cab off the body.. Mine are fine but a little tight. Will be buying extended brake lines shortly.

Awesome! so just get an extended brake line! Was it hard to install? Thanks again for the help guys :)

zpaulis1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Not really, just be cautious and have someone under the truck making sure nothing snaps or stretches as your lifting the cab off the body to insert body lift pucks.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Make sure you have a little mig welder on hand when you do this, it's needed for extending the shift linkage.

OP
OP
D

Dodgehound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 magnum
Hey thanks! So do I need the welder to weld on a shift extension or what?

dannydiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 dodge ram regular cab
Engine
5.2 v8 magnum
i didnt need a steering ext on my 96 with the 3in bl.