'98 1500 5.2L no start, no spark, plugs dry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan Kensy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
Hey all - have my ol' reliable '98 1500 4x4 5.2L I barely drive. Just use for Home Depot runs and construction errands around the house. Used it just a few weeks ago to put basement demo/debris in the bed to run to the dump but never got over there so I just parked it in the street with the bed full. Now we're expecting snow so I want to move it off the street and no start.

She cranks strong - good charge on the battery, etc. I put a timing light on the drivers side front plug wire - no flash while cranking. Tried another timing light. Same deal. Went to Autozone and grabbed a Duralast coil in a hail mary and replaced it - nada. Pulled passenger front spark plug - bone dry. It's low on fuel but ran fine last I shut it off and like I said I've got no spark. I do hear the fuel pump hum/buzz when I turn the key. Plug wires aren't in very bad shape.

So considering I am not seeing spark based on timing light (two of them - doubt that the connection would be bad on both) and the #2 plug is bone dry, what could the culprit be? I had some cracked wiring at the PCM but I manage to tape it up and salvage it - it drove a few weeks ago but now won't start and hasn't moved since. I am not super familiar with these trucks - mine has been pretty damned reliable overall. Any thoughts are appreciated - going to have to try and push it into the driveway for now frown.gif

Oh one last thing - I put a cheap code reader I have on it - turned key to the run position and hit "READ" - no codes.

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crank sensor comes to mind. Last year when I put the engine back in mine I forgot to hook it up and had the same symptoms you have. Plugged it in and it ran fine. I,m not saying yours is unplugged like mine, but it could be bad.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you have voltage to and out of the coil?