99 1500 v8 shuts off randomly and will not restart for awhile

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have been having an issue where i am cruising down the road and all of a sudden randomly the truck dies out. i have been disconnecting the battery and trying to restart because it will crank but not fire up. so far it is progressively getting worse and more frequent.

i have seen alot of these issues around the internet but not many answers. i have already cleaned the power pack in the fuse block which was prestine anyway. relays and fuses are good.

some advice would be helpful all i am a newbie.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well welcome sir! I have had this happen a couple times but the battery reset fixed mine. When was the last tune up? Have you checked to see if it is getting spark when this happens?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PdPuNOme

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
truck has been tuned up recently. only has 43k on her been babied since day 1.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
sounds like it might be the start of fuel pump failure...

That's my guess. If its not throwing any codes or CEL's, I'd try to check if you're getting fuel or spark after it dies on you

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the fuel filter, but I think that the filter is part of the pump assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PdPuNOme

PdPuNOme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE: i have been trying everything and believe it is the computer. anyone know a good place to get one? local junk yards do not have one. autozone has a reman for $300+ needs to be flashed before shipped out. question is if i grab anyone (part# matches of course) will i need to flash it? or if it is the same part # then i can simply plug it in and go>?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One other thing to check before you spend the money on a new or re-conditioned PCM is your crankshaft position sensor. When they go bad it's sometime an intermittent issue and when they glitch out, they send a signal to the PCM that the crankshaft is out of position and the PCM shuts things down. You may not get a code from this fault.

If the PCM is failing you generally get a code telling you communication was lost.