A/c not blowing cold. Tried charging freeon already

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnunez66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this issue comes up a lot but it's definitely not the freeon. I bought a kit and plugged it in and something strange happened. My compressor was running like normal, but I noticed that the fly wheel in the very front was spinning on then off intermittently. When i connect the can of freeon the dial goes up slowly, then when the wheel stops spinning the dial goes all the way back down to zero. The fly wheel cuts back in and the dial starts to rise again.
I locked the trigger in the on position and left it for about 5 minutes and when I checked there was no change. Not sure what could be happening but not having a good working ac is really hell in the summer. It blows cool air, just not ac cold.
https://youtu.be/LK5QR46xB44

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine does the same, cool not cold. I haven’t addressed it yet, but this will be my game plan.

Look for signs of freon leaking. Typically there will be a grimy spot where the lube oozed out.

Get a set of gauges off amazon. Ensure the high side and low side are appropriate, which should reveal whether the compressor is intact.

If I get this far, then I’m looking at replacing a potentially clogged orifice tube or bad expansion valve, the receiver/dryer and the evaporator.

Other considerations. If your A/C gets warm at a standstill but is cold as you drive, that is a common symptom of an inoperable condenser fan.

If your compressor is cycling on/off rapidly, that’s often associated with a low freon charge.

The upshot is the A/C works a little, so there are no missing parts, just failing ones. If I’m going to crack the line, then I’m going to replace most of them before recharging.