A/C not blowing cold....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As of three weeks ago my A/C has stopped blowing cold air. I thought it was the blend door actuators behind the cup holder, because I heard a knocking sound whenever I switched from blowing on the floor to blowing through the main vents. I switched both out with new actuators from the dealer. Knocking sound is gone, it blows a little harder, but not cold at all. When the ac is on, i don't hear the clutch engaging either.

Anyone know where my problem is?

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be any number of things...if the compressor is not running, start by checking for blown fuses. If you have a test light or VOM, check to see if voltage is present at the electrical connector at the compressor. Is there refrigerant pressure in the system?

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
Firstly, being in ohio, I have no sympathy for your lack of AC. Haha. I kid.

If the compressor isn't running then there's likely not adequate pressure. Whatever you do, do use a POS parts store diy self refill kit. They're a useless waste of money. Have a shop evacuate it and if it's low add some dye, charge it, and wait for the leak to show up.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The evapetator had a leak btw. Had it charged at a shop and it blew ice cold for 2 months. Refilled it with some A/C Pro refrigerant and leak stop. Since the hole was so small and it took two weeks for the gas to fully leak out. Im hoping this will be a quick fix, if not an extended bandaid. Not gonna pay $1300 to have it replaced.

Thx guys

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The evapetator had a leak btw. Had it charged at a shop and it blew ice cold for 2 months. Refilled it with some A/C Pro refrigerant and leak stop. Since the hole was so small and it took two weeks for the gas to fully leak out. Im hoping this will be a quick fix, if not an extended bandaid. Not gonna pay $1300 to have it replaced.

Thx guys

Just as a heads up. Stay away from the DIY A/C cans. A/C systems are not DIY friendly, at minimum you need a set of manifold gauges and a basic knowledge of how the system works. You can't properly charge a system with those cans. Without putting the system into a vacuum, you're possibly leaving moisture in the system which can cause rust from the inside out.

As you mentioned you used a can with stop leak. The stop leaks can and do cause major headaches in the system. Most of the time they end up clogging the system. Most shops won't even touch your vehicle if they find out it has stop leaks in it. The stop leaks will mess up the A/C machines.

Not trying to come down on you for using it. Really most of those cans shouldn't even be on the market though, they usually end up causing more harm than good.