A/C Was Working, Then Stopped blowing cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
I tried a recharge, but, the meter on the AC recharge (low side port) pegs and it won't take anything. a/c repairs are not my strong point. if I were to guess, I'd say a valve stuck closed or stopped working.

when I did the water pump I just set the compressor to the passenger side of the engine. I don't think I damaged it doing that.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Try jumpering the low pressure switch to the on position. See if the compressor will engage and make the gauges read.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
sorry, like I said, not an ac guy. where is that switch?
I can match wire gauge and figure out how to connect it if I know which wires to jumper.

if there is a clog, is there any danger in that low pressure side pressurizing too much?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
the high side is way over what psi it should be. it's like the whole system has high-side pressure.

should I flush the system or could the expansion valve or something be stuck or clogged?

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
UPDATE - WTF! I started my truck today and my a/c started blowing ice cold air!

until then it was blowing hot air. when I first got it started, it blew 'cool' air. then it was just hot air until today. since I've been working on restoring the truck, but, today it was cold air. p

I'm not sure what to do. should I slap some gauges on it and check it out? tomorrow it should be pretty hot. right now it's evening and in the low 80s.

should be near 90 tomorrow. I'll do another test drive.

if I should check anything let me know.

Last edited:

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
When you say the low side pressure was way higher than it should have been, what was it at?

Did you get a high side reading at the same time?

Was the discharge line hot? How about the liquid line?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk