A Heavy Heart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Congratulations!

What made you spring for the new one?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats!

OP
OP
1stindoor

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Someone else in my office got a new one and I caught the bug. lol. Actually I had been looking but I was looking for a somewhat "unicorn," model. 2500 Mega Cab with the 6.4, not the diesel. Turns out there ain't many. But I got a good deal, and a good trade and they're delivering it to me.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yepper - back when I was working and pulling down some bucks after kids grown, I would've likely done the same. Enjoy your ride!

I see you got the big Hemi, and you get the reliable ZF. Just be sure you do all the longevity improvements on these threads - Hemi oil with high moly additive, tune low idle to normal idle if you can, get rid of ZF trans thermostat (they may have stopped putting those in, if memory serves, due to all the trouble they caused).

The rest of the truck is damned good. Just expensive!

OP
OP
1stindoor

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Funny, I'm reading all about the 5th Gen stuff now. I'm still working myself, empty nester, and the house was paid off a few months ago...have to spend it somewhere I guess.

Knock on wood, I never had a single issue with my 2018. No Hemi tick, no leaking light, just the occasional rough down shift. But with 119,000 miles and only needing batteries and tires, it was an easy decision to remain in a Ram. And the new one is a beast in comparison to my 4th Gen. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Funny, I'm reading all about the 5th Gen stuff now. I'm still working myself, empty nester, and the house was paid off a few months ago...have to spend it somewhere I guess.

Knock on wood, I never had a single issue with my 2018. No Hemi tick, no leaking light, just the occasional rough down shift. But with 119,000 miles and only needing batteries and tires, it was an easy decision to remain in a Ram. And the new one is a beast in comparison to my 4th Gen. I'm like a kid on Christmas eve.

Did you pamper it with tick-preventing and transmission-cooling mods?

If not, it's the luck of the draw. Past information was the failed lifters were a higher-than-normal % of engines, but that percentage was still not the majority of the engines. Why? We don't know! It's just that the failure mode is catastrophic - it takes your truck out of service, at the least, to get rebuilt. At the worst, it destroys then engine.

The failure is so bad, that a number like 5-10% of trucks estimated by a Technician to fail is untenable. Maybe they've improve. If you're willing to risk total, unpredictable truck failure, roll your dice. I am not.

Yes, I've heard the 5th gen ride even nicer. Amazing - I just drove a Chevy max. towing option half ton, it rode like a brick. Still old-timey leaf springs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Though I don't post very often, I read regularly...and it's with a heavy heart that I must say farewell to this forum. Tomorrow I'm trading in my 2018 2500 Laramie Mega Cab (4th Gen).

On a positive note, I have traded for a 2023 2500 Laramie Mega Cab! Here's what's coming to the house tomorrow...

Murdered out is always the best imo, nice track.\

Like Brian said, I'd look into all of the available deletes and upgrades for longevity. Any thermo stuff get it off. Look at oil and filter threads.

OP
OP
1stindoor

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only thing I did was sooner than needed oil changes and always with full synthetic. The only "mods" I had were a Magnaflow muffler, Pedal Commander, and a K&N cold air kit. May be I was just lucky...here's hoping it continues.

OP
OP
1stindoor

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Murdered out is always the best imo, nice track.\

Like Brian said, I'd look into all of the available deletes and upgrades for longevity. Any thermo stuff get it off. Look at oil and filter threads.
Definitely, reading up on them now. Ironically, I was never overly fond of the "blacked out" night edition...but the price was right. My first choice was in S Texas (same truck, different color), but it was sold by another salesman as I was working through the shipping issues. The dealership in Florida I'm buying from also has a white version of the same truck...but white was my last choice.