A little help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett Gallant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a couple questions. So I bought a new used 2013 ram 1500 sport. In the ad it was listed that it has chrome tubular step sides. I bought it site unseen as it was delivered to my house. I forgot to bring it up with the guy who brought it but now I'm curious as to why I dont have them. It is listed on the window sticker and it was on there post as a 450$ option. Also adding to the reason the truck is priced at what it is. I looked under the vehicle today to check it out as it was too miserable the last couple days to go out. Frame and body is clean but I think I see the places where the steps were before. Also what are these(pic posted) they are all rusted and look out of place as the rest of the truck is rust free.

20200209_081059.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The side step probably were factory installed and the previous owner removed them. The dealer that sold the truck probably copy and pasted the description of the truck by looking up the build sheet from the VIN.
Look in for sale section of the forum, somebody probably has a set for sale.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Those are weights to cancel out vibrations. They often look rusty like that, no worries

Jayc19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
What Crash said when I bought my truck used they copied the window sticker from when it was sold new. Mine was a lease turn in and when I asked about the all weather mats he said those didn’t get turned in with the truck so they weren’t included. But he could get me a quote from the parts department. And I believe that is a vibration dampener.

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Those flattened areas in the sheet metal (back side of rocker panels), with the holes is where my steps are attached. Not to the frame like that dampener is mounted area you have pictured. Guy probably removed the steps and sold them before he turned in the truck.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
More likely the steps got rusty like they did on my 2013 and were removed. They don't really hold up all that well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the gusset welds on the frame behind the damper. Also looks like a plate steel patch welded in below it too.
The welds look rusty.

Did you get a Carfax report?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm more interested in the gusset welds on the frame behind the damper. Also looks like a plate steel patch welded in below it too.
The welds look rusty.

Did you get a Carfax report?
I think that's factory, ill try and remember to look at one at work this week and compare. Rust on the welds looks about right for the year.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was from a dealer I would say, try to get free steps or cash back, it appears you from private sale.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
I would most certainly take the issue up with the dealer especially in view of the fact that you relied on the description and did not see the vehicle in person.