A rough New York winter... now what

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefighter14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As the title states it was a rough winter in Northern New York at least for my truck it was. Before this winter there wasn’t a spot of rust anywhere on the body of my 2011 Ram 1500 can say that anymore. I have rust started on the drivers side rocker panel. What is the best way to stop this rust from getting worse?
96f2ea07a848c6b4ea1e4bfa36baba1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I would think that rust has been working it's way up for at least a couple years and just now showing it's ugly face. I would be surprised if all that happened in half a year. If you crawl under the truck what is the condition from underneath?

If it's not too severe it can be grinded off and re-finished.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Once you have it repaired you can POR15 the rust prone areas and/or get someone to spray krown or fluid film under the chassis and in some of the body panels. This is your best prevention. It has to be done every year or two but it’s worth it! It’s like an oil and creeps into hard to reach areas.

I painted my frame and did krown and have no issues. I’m doing the undercarriage now to be safe.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once you have it repaired you can POR15 the rust prone areas and/or get someone to spray krown or fluid film under the chassis and in some of the body panels. This is your best prevention. It has to be done every year or two but it’s worth it! It’s like an oil and creeps into hard to reach areas.

I painted my frame and did krown and have no issues. I’m doing the undercarriage now to be safe.
^^This!!

Thunderbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's a cab corner, it's probably rusting from the inside out.

If you can't dodge it... RAM it!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Awe man.. The rust belt blues. I feel your pain. Like said, there's likely lots more happening that yku can't easily see.

That small area alone would be an ~$800 body shop repair.