activating DRLs in a USA built Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyone have any luck activating DRLs on a 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

I bought the obdgenie thinking the same thing and it didn’t work! I called them and they said it’s not compatible with the 2018’s. Had to return it, looking to see if any dealers have done it yet for anyone with an 18..

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have any luck activating DRLs on a 2018?

Dealer did mine the day I bought it. I told them I wouldn’t take delivery if it wasn’t done.

It’s exactly the same as doing it on a ‘17.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What does the obdgenie turn on for non projector lights? anyone use it for those? I wasn't impressed with their support, I asked them and was told they have no idea...just that it will work....crazy

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What’s everyone’s opinion on the look of Amber DRLs vs the diode dynamics switchback boards white DRLs?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s everyone’s opinion on the look of Amber DRLs vs the diode dynamics switchback boards white DRLs?

I would love to have switchbacks that would be great.

just replacing that board will not make them bright white, they will still be DIM until you get them activated.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the obdgenie turn on for non projector lights? anyone use it for those? I wasn't impressed with their support, I asked them and was told they have no idea...just that it will work....crazy
Hey, at least you got a reply! I've emailed them twice over the last two weeks and got nada.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, at least you got a reply! I've emailed them twice over the last two weeks and got nada.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hear ya, It was over a week before I got that reply. Also not very familiar with their product either it seems.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I got my DRLs activated today at the dealer for free... returning the genie.

Confirmed that the process is exactly the same for the 2018 models... kind of weird how the genie works on every year except the 2018’s.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Confirmed that the process is exactly the same for the 2018 models... kind of weird how the genie works on every year except the 2018’s.

Not weird at all. In order to program the BCM, commands must be sent across the CAN bus. Prior to 18, the diagnostic connector had direct access to the bus. To improve security, FCA implemented a new hardware gateway across all models for 18. It serves as a firewall between the diagnostic connector and the CAN bus and the radio and the CAN bus. Without knowing and implementing FCA’s unlocking method, the gateway is going to block traffic from any aftermarket device you plug in.

ZAutomotive has come up with a simple solution for the LX cars called the “Double Bypass” so you can use their products. It’s an auxiliary diagnostic connector that installs in the trunk and connects directly to the battery and the CAN.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not weird at all. In order to program the BCM, commands must be sent across the CAN bus. Prior to 18, the diagnostic connector had direct access to the bus. To improve security, FCA implemented a new hardware gateway across all models for 18. It serves as a firewall between the diagnostic connector and the CAN bus and the radio and the CAN bus. Without knowing and implementing FCA’s unlocking method, the gateway is going to block traffic from any aftermarket device you plug in.

ZAutomotive has come up with a simple solution for the LX cars called the “Double Bypass” so you can use their products. It’s an auxiliary diagnostic connector that installs in the trunk and connects directly to the battery and the CAN.

Thank you for melting my brain

Evo1xvg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Question if you get your DRL activated at a dealer to you also get the option of turning them off and on with the 8.4 uconnect? I see the OBD genie has that capability but the genie does not work on the 2018.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No once they are activated they cannot be deactivate through Uconnect

jmh288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 (2017 1500 KIA OCT 2017)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are on forever (unless they burn out), but only while in gear.

Sent from my iX using my iThumbs via Tapatalk

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine stay on in no matter if in park or drive. 2013 Longhorn.

lowcomet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM R/T
Engine
Has anyone with an 09-12 that has upgraded to the 13+ projectors fitted with the switchback board able to activate the white led as a DRL either through dealer programming or a DRL Module?

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just dropped my truck off for an oil change and asked them how much to activate the DRL's. They wanted $114.

NightReaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Night Sport Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently took in my 2012 Sport Crew and upgraded to a new 2018 Night Crew and wanted to get my DRL's activated after reading through post.

image1.jpeg

I am in the Tampa Bay region, and all my service was through Jerry Ulm CJDR for the previous truck and I've never had an issue. I took it in this morning for an 0800 appointment and told the exactly what I was aiming to do, mentioned the sales code and they gave me a $99 quote. I have a set of retrofits with the Diode Dynamics switchbacks that I had my 2012 so I was excited with the thought of having a true, white LED DRL (something that would've been very hard to achieve on the older model)

Long story short, the rep comes back, says they flashed it with the new LM5 code and we were good to go. I pay and leave, and fire up the truck. To my dismay, my LEDs weren't burning bright but in fact my projector lenses were dimly lit instead. Sure enough, they are true DRL's; they run while the vehicle is drive without any other lights activated and they turn off on the respective side when the turn signal is activated.

Is this an error on the dealer's side? Did they use the wrong sales code? Am I stuck with this version of the DRL's?

I love my new truck and I was really excited to have true DRL's finally. Any suggestions would be great or if anyone has ran into the issue (I haven't read anything like this up to this point).

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93