Actual Gear display question using Alfa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I have a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Classic with the hemi engine. For the past 6 months I’ve been using the gear + and - buttons to keep the MDS turned off. I’m getting my ECU tuned this week though to shut it off permanently, but would still like to keep the gear display in the cluster.

I’ve been through all the forums and from what I can tell, 2016+ Gen 4s have been able to get this to work as long as they have the diesel engine. The Gen 5s seem to work regardless of engine.

I’d like to know if anyone had success with the Gen 4 Hemi, and if so could you please post a dump of your BCM settings. Maybe there is some other seemingly unrelated setting that is the key here.

It also seems like some folks needed to change the setting in the EVIC, and some didn’t. I’m not sure on the reason here either.

Anyways, let’s see if we can figure out this setting together. Thanks!

Just a note, this thread made more sense before some folks that claimed false information as truth went back and edited their post after I proved them wrong.

I re-read this entire post again top to bottom and fail to see how I’m the bad guy… please share your thoughts (or even better yet an answer) :)

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are you talking about showing the actual gear you are in as it shifts? If so, It does Not work on gen 4 diesels. In fact I don't think it works on any 4th gen that I have seen.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I have seen several posts on other sites of it working on the eco diesels, 2016+

Ecuconfig4 Actual Gear Display,
And there is a setting with Bosch ECU to turn it on as well, and turning it on in the EVIC. If you have a truck I can post the steps to check on yours.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could you get the gear display the same way you're getting it now? With the gear + and - buttons?

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Well ya. But the point is I’d like to turn it on in software so I’m not always pushing the buttons.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have seen several posts on other sites of it working on the eco diesels, 2016+

Ecuconfig4 Actual Gear Display,
And there is a setting with Bosch ECU to turn it on as well, and turning it on in the EVIC. If you have a truck I can post the steps to check on yours.

I have a 2016 diesel, (not a ECO diesel)

There is a PID that I can read the current gear on my Ezlynk auto agent display, but have never seen anyone get it to work on the EVIC for my truck

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For what it's worth, I took a peek over on the eco diesel site and from what I read, the only people that could get it to work had it enabled by their tuner (something Alfa cannot do) and it only worked for certain year on the ECO only.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
if you have an a eco diesel and the Bosch ECU, you turn on Actual Gear Display there, and in the BCM, and in the cluster (EVIC) and you are set. If people didn’t get it to work they forgot one of the steps (the ECU setting most likely, as for some people it was already set correctly)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use my obdlink mx+ on my iPhone and can display current gear. Never tried on my hemi evic as I’ve heard it won’t work.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well let us know if you can get it to work on something other then a ECO. It's been beat to death pretty hard over the years with no luck getting it to work on the other trucks.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Again, my original ask is for anyone that has this working on a Gen 4 Hemi truck to let me know. I know it has worked for others with other engines, but I don’t know if I’ve heard it work on a Hemi truck.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Again, my original ask is for anyone that has this working on a Gen 4 Hemi truck to let me know. I know it has worked for others with other engines, but I don’t know if I’ve heard it work on a Hemi truck.

If you read the afla thread I think you will find the answer is "it doesn't work"

Like I said, this has been looked at for a long long time and I don't know of anyone that got it to work.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
For those wanting to enable with an ECO Diesel, these are the approved steps. Anyone that wants to confirm let me know. This has been said to work on a 2016 ECO and a 2020 3500

Still hoping someone out there has had luck with a Hemi engine:

AlfaOBD:
Car configuration Change:
ECUConfig 4:
Actual Gear for Display: Yes

Vehicle:
Then go to EVIC
Select settings
Select Gear Display: Yes
Note -- This might take 24 hours to show up as an option in the display after making the change.

Might also need to check:
Engine:
Bosch EDC17:
Write Vehicle Information:
Gear Shift Indicator: Enabled

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For those wanting to enable with an ECO Diesel, these are the approved steps. Anyone that wants to confirm let me know. This has been said to work on a 2016 ECO and a 2020 3500

Yes it works on a 2020 3500 (actually 19+ 2500/3500) but those are 4.5gen trucks, not 4th gen or classic trucks.

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I’m sorry mtnrider but the comments you are providing are just adding extra pages to this thread… can we please keep focused on the ask. Unless you have an older ECO diesel and want to confirm that it works, or a Hemi that got it to work, there is no need to post.

Let’s keep the chatter to a minimum.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
L I know you want this to work (we all do) but the fact is it has been beat to death already and simply doesn't work. If you take the time to read the big Alfa thread you will see for yourself

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I have seen on other forums of people having it work on 2016s, 2017s, and a 2018… and of course the newer stuff. I am well aware that you don’t know if anyone that did get it to work, I’m asking for one of those people that did get it to work to say hi, so we can determine why it works for some and not others.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The epitome of lazy,when you can't push a button with your thumb,then get pee'od at the guys who are trying to help you out, to top it off :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bmags

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I don’t know why this is such a hard concept to understand fellas, but saying it can’t be done is not helping.

There were people that said I couldn’t bypass my seatbelt switch either and lo and behold it’s done (and captured on this forum).

Of course no one will have heard of a solution before it’s figured out, but I’m confident there is someone driving around with this fix, with some seemingly meaningless combination of settings that just “worked” and they never thought twice about it.