Add remote locks to 2020 1500 Classic Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Am I able to add remote locks to my 2020 Classic Tradesman? I have power locks but I can only unlock it on the outside manually with the key. Having the remote would be very helpful for myself and the kids.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
knowing how the vehicle power lock are integrated with the BCM, I wonder if buying an OEM remote start kit w/key fobs will "kill two birds with one stone".
I'm guessing @Jimmy07 @Ricks Ram or @Tach_tech might know the answer to your question

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@crash68 i appreciate the comment but I’m a truck/ newbie, so what does BCM & OEM mean?

If I could get remote start AND be able to lock/unlock the doors that would be awesome.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
BCM is the body control module. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture, basically means factory equipment.

Your best bet is to get a factory remote start. That’s about the only way to get power locks unless you go aftermarket which would likely be a pain.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Winsconsin608 ^^^ what he said
I know the factory (OEM) remote start can be added with a program called AlfaOBD but not sure about the locks. The other people I linked know more than I do.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

You might be able to go aftermarket but you'll want to find a really good shop that will warranty it to work.

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just called, they are unable to.

There is a remote start shop in a town close by and they can add their remote start (compustar brand) but said that it wouldn’t have the ability to lock/unlock the doors because of the model of truck I have. The truck just doesn’t have the ability unless the remote lock feature was an option I had done when purchasing it.

I’m wondering if that AlfaOBD has the ability to ‘unlock’ (no pun intended) that capability.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just called, they are unable to.

There is a remote start shop in a town close by and they can add their remote start (compustar brand) but said that it wouldn’t have the ability to lock/unlock the doors because of the model of truck I have. The truck just doesn’t have the ability unless the remote lock feature was an option I had done when purchasing it.

I’m wondering if that AlfaOBD has the ability to ‘unlock’ (no pun intended) that capability.
AlfaOBD can definitely do what you want to do. You would enable remote keyless entry, and remote start. You need to buy the mopar remote start kit for a 2019+ ram 1500 classic.
You can also get it done for way cheaper, if you don’t care if the truck can be remote started if the hood is open...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Deleted double post

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AlfaOBD can definitely do what you want to do. You would enable remote keyless entry, and remote start. You need to buy the mopar remote start kit for a 2019+ ram 1500 classic.
You can also get it done for way cheaper, if you don’t care if the truck can be remote started if the hood is open...

I’m a big fan of cheaper! What all do I need to do this and are there tutorials/videos to walk me through the process (I have almost zero mechanical skills).

Would this work for the remote start? https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215050.html

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m a big fan of cheaper! What all do I need to do this and are there tutorials/videos to walk me through the process (I have almost zero mechanical skills).

Would this work for the remote start? https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215050.html
That would be the correct kit. Or...
Get these fobs- https://www.amazon.com/KeylessOptio...500,+2500,+3500+GQ4-53T&qid=1609900381&sr=8-8

You’ll need AlfaOBD from the google play store, or windows version from here- https://www.alfaobd.com/download.html (no iPhone support)

You need an OBD interface for AlfaOBD- https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Blue...ink+mx&qid=1609900591&sprefix=obdlink+&sr=8-2

And you’ll need a bypass cable to bypass the security gateway module- https://www.kaodtech.com/product-page/security-module-bypass

You’ll need the PIN for your RF Hub. You can get it from the dealership parts department in person with proof of ownership, but honestly, you’re better off just getting the Chrysler PIN Puller app from google play store. The app is free, but it costs $15 to get your PIN.

Here’s a link to read up on AlfaOBD. Pretty much everything you need to know is in the first post- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

Here’s some info on adding remote start, and it applies to your truck. Basically, instead of installing the hood latch, you’re just going to ground the hood ajar sense wire- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-remote-start-to-2017-ram.99849/

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I need the fobs, app, obd link, and bypass cable and I should be able to activate and use the remote locks and remote start?

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tradesman doesn't have remote locks?? My 2017 tradesman does

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@gypsy400 apparently not. When I bought the truck the dealer said that it only came with the single key to manually lock/unlock the doors.

I’m intrigued with the AlfaOBD option but I’m hesitant to buy the materials needed if it might not work (wife will kill me).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@gypsy400 apparently not. When I bought the truck the dealer said that it only came with the single key to manually lock/unlock the doors.

I’m intrigued with the AlfaOBD option but I’m hesitant to buy the materials needed if it might not work (wife will kill me).
Many people have done it and it should work. The Alfa tool is very capable and can enable codes in your BCM that the dealer cannot enable and in some cases not even see. Every truck has the same BCM (Body Control Module) with all the same options and codes. The dealer can only enable codes that are allowed in your specific model and or trim level as an available option. The Alfa tool can see and enable or disable every code in your BCM. This is why the dealers will tell people certain options and codes cannot be added to their truck. The information they are giving you is correct as far as what they are capable of doing. You can pretty much add or enable any option you want. Obviously the more options your truck came with originally makes it much easier and or worth while because it will have more of the wiring harness or harnesses needed. The Alfa tool can also program the fobs and reset the RF hub if needed. All this stuff is kind of confusung at first but isn't really that bad once you start to get into it.. Does your truck have the Tip Start feature? This is where you just turn the key and let go and the truck will crank until it starts. This is also needed for remote start. I personally haven't added remote entry or start to a Tradesman Classic but I have added the remote entry to a 15 Tradesman and it worked fine by just enabling the code and programing the fob and I'm sure the remote start would have worked as well but they didn't want that option. I have also added remote start to several other trucks but they were call equipped with remote entry before hand. Also you mentioned the dealer only gave you one key. I'm assuming you bought this truck used? New trucks always come with two keys. I also did a truck that was purchased used with one key that had to be physically put in the ignition. The owner was told the truck didn't have and wasn't optioned for remote entry. I Programmed a remote entry fob to the truck and it worked without adding any codes at all. In other words the truck was equipped the whole time but some where down the road had lost the original fobs and just had the regular key Programmed to the truck. @Jimmy07 is very knowledgeable and gives good advice. Sorry for the long winded reply, just trying to get you up to speed a little.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I miss spoke. It’s a brand new truck (2020 only had 6 miles on it). It came with 2 keys. When I said a single key I meant just a plain key not remote. I don’t know if I have tip start (I assume I do since it’s a 2020) but I do have to physically put the key in the ignition and turn it to start the truck (like you mentioned you had a truck that you did).

I appreciate your help. It sounds like if I go ahead with the AlfaOBD route (app, key fobs, obd link, bypass cable) I’ll be able to have the remote entry and remote start.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don’t know if I have tip start (I assume I do since it’s a 2020) but I do have to physically put the key in the ignition and turn it to start the truck (like you mentioned you had a truck that you did).
To test if you have Tip Start, you turn the key to all the way to start and let go. You shouldn't have to hold the key in the start position to crank the engine.
I think all the +'13 Gen4 Rams have TipStart. It even works on the diesel engines, the truck will auto delay to allow the glow plugs/grid heater to warm up before it cranks the engine.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A tradesman doesn't have remote locks?? My 2017 tradesman does

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Same here, my 2018 Tradesman has remote lock open/close without remote start. Not a fan of remote start so am happy with my set up.