Add steering music and volume control on a 2014 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Cannot wait to do this on my 2013 Black Express!

MarkWebber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have an appointment on Wed. to have this done to my 2014 Black Express. Dealership had no clue what I was talking about or if it could even be done. I sent the Service Rep to this site to show him that its for real. Will be interesting. I'd do it myself, but can just see the Air Bag knocking me into the back seat.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
According to uselessconnect not compatible with the 3.0 radio, but along with the SWC upgrade you could do a pnp to the 5.0 radio. I had the 3.0 went to 8.4AN and SWC were plug an play no dealer flash required. 2014 3500 tradesman

Bizjettech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an appointment on Wed. to have this done to my 2014 Black Express. Dealership had no clue what I was talking about or if it could even be done. I sent the Service Rep to this site to show him that its for real. Will be interesting. I'd do it myself, but can just see the Air Bag knocking me into the back seat.

Any idea as to the cost to have this done at the dealer??

domestique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 (1500 Express)
Engine
HEMI 5.7 (8 speed)

Any update?

Cost for dealer to install?

Things I wish my Express had come with from factory:

Volume controls on steering wheel
Automatic start
Split rear window
Split back seat

Mitchcoog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Blacked
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the steering wheel control update today. It's a fantastic upgrade and necessary as I am waiting for the nav 8.4 to arrive. Read the detailed write up by cgeorgemo. It's a huge help.
Bought the kit from allmopar and couldn't be happier.
Of course, I messed the clock spring alignment up. That added a good 30 minutes to the job. The hardest part by far is removing the clips for the air bag. Trust me and use a mirror and breathe deeply. After the first clip, the rest are easy.
Knocked out the upper glove box as well. Quite simple compared to the wheel controls. And saved the easy footwell lights for last. Literally plug and play. With a little glue or adhesive though.
I bought the evic upgrade and figures I got a small one instead of the premium. After confirming it with car part.

twodogs603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the steering wheel control update today. It's a fantastic upgrade and necessary as I am waiting for the nav 8.4 to arrive. Read the detailed write up by cgeorgemo. It's a huge help.
Bought the kit from allmopar and couldn't be happier.
Of course, I messed the clock spring alignment up. That added a good 30 minutes to the job. The hardest part by far is removing the clips for the air bag. Trust me and use a mirror and breathe deeply. After the first clip, the rest are easy.
Knocked out the upper glove box as well. Quite simple compared to the wheel controls. And saved the easy footwell lights for last. Literally plug and play. With a little glue or adhesive though.
I bought the evic upgrade and figures I got a small one instead of the premium. After confirming it with car part.

So to add the audio controls even though they are plug and play, you still have to remove the steering wheel?

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So to add the audio controls even though they are plug and play, you still have to remove the steering wheel?

YeS THE STEERING WHEEL HAS TO BE REMOVED TO INSTALL THE SWC.
LOL I'm sure he had a caps lock accident there... You have to remove the wheel to get the original back cover off so you can install the one for the switches to mount into. Also you have to replace the wheel wiring harness with the new one that connects to the switches.

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread is about audio controls but is there instructions somewhere on how to replace evic switch with one that has v/r and phone buttons? Thanks, Nick

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Oops on the caps, did not mean to shout. Nickster the procedure is basically the same,

1 Disconnect batteryand remove air bag (discharge first)
2 Remove screws holding bezel trim onto steering wheel, I think there is 4 of them and temporarily remove to expose the screws holding in the evic switch.
3. Remove the 3 screws and evic switch, uplug from steering wheel harness.
4. Plug new switch into harness an install reusing existing screws.
5. Reinstall bezel trim.
6. Plug in airbag.
7.Reinstall airbag
8.Reconnect battery.

DSCN0150.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

steering wheel.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

here is the switch you need, no harness req for just this but SWC requires replacing harness as well
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-mopar/56054449aa?search_str=56054449Aa

If you read through the post for adding the SWC, instructions for removing airbag are in there, which also requires that you removal of the upper steering column cover.

For this mod alone the steering wheel does not need to be removed from the steering column. However since you need to remove the airbag and such I would strongly recommend doing a little extra work and installing the SWC at the same time for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• DSCN0154.jpg
    DSCN0154.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Mitchcoog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Blacked
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Watch the clock spring It likes to move and is a pita to fix/adjust if it's out of alignment

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Audio control upgrade

Just did my 2014 Ram 1500 Express today. Works great thank you everyone for the help!!!

Kurt S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man guys, this is GREAT info!!!
Has anyone tried this on a 2015 Ram 1500?
I just got a 2015 Ram 1500 that is the basic package. The RA1 radio, no steering wheel controls, no bluetooth. I've already ordered a RA2 (5.0) on E-Bay from someone that has upgraded theirs to the RA3 (8.5 non-nav). I really wanted to have the steering wheel controls & no it looks like I can without having to replace the entire steering wheel which I was really hesitant to do. This is a department truck, so I have to be careful not to damage anything.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mopar online parts has a kit to install the controls on your truck for around 125.00 It is easy to do. There is a thread in the 4th gen D.Y.I forum that should answer any questions you have. You don't need to replace your steering wheel but you do need to remove it to install the controls. The hardest part is removing the airbag. I think there might even be a video on YouTube about it but I am not positive on that.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I jacked the front of the truck up so it was easy to move the wheel during the air bag removal , like the video I also put my smartphone against the instrument cluster and reversed the video to see what I was doing.
I did not require a puller for the wheel , just popped it 4 xs while holding stout pressure with other hand .