Adding a Bluetooth Phone Microphone to Uconnect Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I wanted to do a quick writeup on how to add a microphone to the Uconnect radio for the Bluetooth, handsfree phone. First, this came about due to a malfunctioning Uconnect 3.0 radio. I upgraded to the 5.0 that had the Bluetooth and phone options. The problem with the phone was, there's no microphone. Trucks that come with the 5.0 have microphones built into their rearview mirror. Swapping the mirror might be an option for some but not me. My truck has a backup camera with the monitor in the rearview mirror and I like it there, not the radio screen. Ram doesn't offer a mirror with microphones and the monitor. Here was my solution.

Uconnect microphones are amplified. Meaning they require a power source. Unlike a $10 two wire microphone. I read where some tried to install non-amplified microphones and they did not work.

Here is one option: Brandmotion 5000-PESMVR Microphone Kit. It's about $100 depending where you look.

On the passenger side of the truck, open the front door. The end panel on the dash comes off exposing the wiring harness that feeds the rearview mirror. No screws to remove, just friction clips holds it in place. The connector is held to the dash frame with a tree type push pin. Push it out so the harness and connector will pull out of the dash so you can get to the wires. Disconnect the connector and tuck the female, upper connector out of your way. You'll be working with the bottom, male connector.

No need to cut any wires. I did the strip and splice method. With a razor blade or sharp knife, strip about 1/4" of the insulation to expose the copper, stranded wire. Then, using a point, separate the strands into two equal parts. Strip the insulation from the microphone wire about 1/2" and insert it between the two strands twisting them together. Wrap the wires with electrical tape when finished.

The wire connections: (Based on the Brandmotion Microphone)

Microphone 12 volt amplifier (ignition 12V) Blue wire connects to the Red wire in connector.
Microphone positive (+) Yellow wire to the Dark Green w/ Light Blue stripe wire in connector.
Microphone negative (-) Black wire to the Light Blue w/ Dark Green stripe wire in connector.
Microphone ground Black wire connects to the Black wire in the connector.

Reconnect the connectors and reroute the wires and you're done. Run the microphone wire up the "A" pillar trim to the windshield. There was a small gap between my head liner and windshield so the microphone wire was not a problem to hide. The Microphone came with double sided tape to adhere to where you'd like to put it.

This produced a clear installation and a great working handsfree telephone. And, I got to keep my rear camera monitor in my rearview mirror.

I am sure that other Amplified Microphones would work. And, most likely could be bought cheaper than the Brandmotion.

I hope this helps someone.

Michael Daly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 (Gas)
Thanks Devil Dog. I just finished my install. Mine is a 2016 with the exact same set-up as you described. I wasn't sure that the harness wire colors would stay consistent but they did.
Brand motion sells the same part number thru Wally World and I got it for $90.00 online.
Because I used T connectors there was limited slack in the harness so to save room I spliced the blue & yellows on the daddy harness and the (2) grounds on the mommy harness. Everything worked perfect.
Thanks again.

PhilipCVB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this is what I've been looking for. How is the call quality with this installed? I've had issues with the diesel and snow tire road sounds making calls almost impossible.

Darryn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Great write up, I wonder if this is my issue with my 5 to 8.4 upgrade. My Uconnect registration screen and with an error, It seems its trying to connect to something/somewhere but fails.

hdadair01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
There are 3 Black Wires, any idea on where all of these connect?