Adding Bed Weight for Winter Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Walter Beesley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in Maine always added weight to my trucks and RWD cars. My 1500 added weight 2 buckets sand each side and sash cord weights in middle. I had a wooden frame so they were secure in case of accident. Learned that the hard way. Did help and did effect gas. My 2500 ram stopped adding weight and saw no change in handling and gas mileage. I did see a clean bed!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Best thing I ever had in snow 74 Jeep Cherokee. Worst thing was an 82 Chevy Citation, FWD, one of those X drive cars, that was one I should have not bought.
I remember the citations. Just ugh...

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really don’t think adding around 100 pounds of ballast weight to the bed of your truck is really gonna make your stopping distance that much more when your stopping distance is already greatly reduced as it is due to the roads being slick. There’s gonna be a trade-off, no matter what. Not enough weight in the bed can cause your back wheels to lock up a lot easier and put you into a skid just the same as too much weight can push you along a lot further distance with increased momentum, but you’d have to be really heavy at that point.

The real key to driving on slippery roads is to do everything slower. Adding weight does help but in certain circumstances, it could hinder as well.
Plus do you call DOT when you pick up supplies from the store? Or when you tow a trailer? He can't be serious to call DOT and ask about sandbags right?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plus do you call DOT when you pick up supplies from the store? Or when you tow a trailer? He can't be serious to call DOT and ask about sandbags right?
I’m a truck driver by trade so I tend to try and avoid DOT if I can. Lol.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I used to have an old square body Chevy that I used to carry a couple of sidewalk blocks I always strapped them down because if they came loose it could be bad. My mom owned the truck before me and they used 1 big a$$ block that I could barely pick up when I was young and strong. If something like that came loose in an accident it could be bad

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Before adding weight I suggest you check with Transportation Authorities. Although weight is good for added traction when starting off it does nothing while moving at 40mph(60kmph). What it does do at speed is increase stopping distance, inceases skidding and if not 100% secure it can become a lethal projectile if you go off the road or hit something head on. That 40lb bag of sand can kill.
:oops: Why on God's green Earth would you need to contact DOT about putting anything in the back of your truck? I mean, unless it a hazardous load, or something. If your load sticks up above the side rails you may have to strap it down, but that's a judgement call. Securing any load is a judgement call. Do you call them every time before you load up and head out? No, you don't - and neither does anyone else - even though most anything can fly out of the bed in a front-end collision.

melvingeraldmesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I had a 2 wheel drive I would shovel the snow from the driveway in to the bed of my truck till it was level with the top of the cab. as long as you dont need the bed for anything it works great, and when it warms up it melts on its own.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use patio pavers...flat so I can still load materials in the bed. The extra weight actually gives me a smoother ride. Used to use bags of sand/gravel, but they'd eventually break open.

Tom McClellan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am about 100 miles south of the Canada border in northern Minnesota. I have 6 70lb sand tubes that I put right over the rear axle. So 400+ lbs. Add in all the gear in my Ramboxes and I don't think I have to, but it certainly gives me peace of mind. Really helps with stops and starts around town. When most are spinning their wheels trying to get going again, I just crawl away from the intersection. I have a cover so they last about 5 years. When its time to replace them, its into the sandbox they go.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I had a 2 wheel drive I would shovel the snow from the driveway in to the bed of my truck till it was level with the top of the cab. as long as you dont need the bed for anything it works great, and when it warms up it melts on its own.
You didn't happen to mean level with the box did you,level with the top of the cab with snow,is gonna put the truck on the bump stops,at least the snow where i come from would.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You didn't happen to mean level with the box did you,level with the top of the cab with snow,is gonna put the truck on the bump stops,at least the snow where i come from would.
Nah, at an average of 20# per cu-ft, that would be less than 3000#. Pushing my payload cap for sure, but still doable. ;)

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I watched a video…
( a couple years ago )
… that tried to compare all the top branded North American marketed 4 x 4 trucks they first compared them in 2WD then 4WD without and then with a load of 100 lbs located over the rear axel
They tested them on an unpaved hillside that had gravel and mud applied
The only trucks that perform consistently were American brands in 4WD with the weighted rear axel.

I had been advised in the past,
to avoid rear wheel hop and improve traction, to use 100 lbs in my truck bed.

That combination seems to work for me.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nah, at an average of 20# per cu-ft, that would be less than 3000#. Pushing my payload cap for sure, but still doable. ;)
Looks like your truck is a 2500,but any 1500 is gonna be on the bumpstops,and even a 2500 is getting close to the bumpstops with 3000lbs in the box,it's not gonna have much travel before it bottoms out

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I did and rock sliders and a tire carrier and a lift for the topper

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpeg
    IMG_0467.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg