Looking for a winter tire or are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde sufficient

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I prefer a "studless" tire. As in, not possible, not needed.

In my experience (not great, at just 40+ years compared to many) studs ONLY help in ICE-Y conditions. In ALL other conditions, studs DECREASE traction. I stand by my statement that the DM-V2 are superior in 95% of conditions. If you only ever have glare ice, go ahead and get Studded tires.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Intersections full of ice. Roads covered in ice. Frozen lakes, blowing snow that flash freezes, chinooks that melt everything just to have it freeze when the sun sets. We have ice. Buy whatever tires you want. I’ll buy the best tires for the worst conditions. Good luck.IMG_3903.jpeg
IMG_3904.jpeg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Those Pirelli tires within a year to 3 years are good for LIGHT snow, but if you get anything 3+ inches, or slush or winter mix your going to start having some trouble. Picture wranglers on my 20-in tires did pretty well for very deep snow that we get here in Western New York. I plan to get a second set of wheels with blizzacks. The OEM Wrangler tires do pretty well ( and I'm not a Goodyear fan).

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As those who have said Nokian studded Hakkapelliitas, I agree wholeheartedly! Best snowtire I’ve used! I live in a valley with twisty, hilly roads! I do see black ice conditions pretty regularly!

I LOVE my Hakkapelliitas for the winning, winter tires!

camphoto_1483920592.jpegcamphoto_684387517.jpeg

Kardude9048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Purchased my first Ram truck few months ago. Enjoying it more than my last truck (GMC). Decided on the 2023 Ram 1500 Limited etorque 5.7 hemi. My question is, the standard tires it came with are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde. Will these be ok for winter driving here in NY or do I need dedicated winter tires?? We travel north from Long Island during the winter months to a vacation cabin The truck is driven on pavement , no off roading but travel on backroads ice fishing , skiing etc. Read lots about winter tires but not sure if necessary.Any help is appreciated.
I purchased a Laramie w/pirellis 22" wheels, scaped the curb a few times and found a set of new take offs (20"s) ... Truck rides smoother and don't need to be concerned about hurtin' them 22" wheeels anymore!!

Kardude9048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought a '23 1500 w/22" wheels, couldn't wait to put the 20" wheels on got from ebay, what a difference! Rides better! No more scraping the curb and messing up the pretty black wheels! I've seen other rams w/22"s and ALL have those UGLY scrape marks

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would be interested to see a truly scientific test of studded winters vs studless winters. I would bet that studded on pure ice win out. But most people drive on pure ice probably less than 1% of the time. I would be pretty sure that studless winters (not simply stud-able tires without studs, but tires that are designed from the ground up to provide superior traction without studs) such as the Blizzack DM-V2 win out over studded winters in the other 99% of winter driving - slush, packed snow, sleet, powder, etc. Not to mention clear wet/dry asphalt...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I drive my truck 8000 miles per year (up from 6000 per year when we moved 5 years ago). So if/when I have dedicated winters I change them twice a year. When I use the same tire year-round I rotate them once a year at the same time I change the oil and get the State Inspection. Well, to clarify - someone does it. All I do is leave the keyfob in the truck one morning and when I leave to go home it's done.

skates15

Reaction score
I just got my 1500, live in Minnesota and will be putting on Blizzack DM-V2. It's my first truck, so I'm not going to risk the stock tires, which I believe are all season Micheline H/I or something, which I plan to replace in the summer with something better.

Thanks for the recommendation in this thread.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I just got my 1500, live in Minnesota and will be putting on Blizzack DM-V2. It's my first truck, so I'm not going to risk the stock tires, which I believe are all season Micheline H/I or something, which I plan to replace in the summer with something better.

Thanks for the recommendation in this thread.
How are you liking the Blizzacks?

skates15

Reaction score
How are you liking the Blizzacks?
I didn't get them. The stock bridge stones will stay for the time being. Its been very dry so far and projections are for a dry winter. Those tires wont last long on dry pavement since they are sticky. Its a wait and see situation.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
the seven best they did not include cooper so thats not a true At snow versus all season and winter tire test. cooper at3 4s tires are very good having driven with michelen and bf goodrich

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've gone through winters with the toyo at as well as the bfg and a bit on the falkens. The bfg are the best in the snow I've tried and the falken and toyos were both ok, but felt noticeably less stable. All 3 worked well enougb if I didn't drive thousands of miles in the snow every year.I got caught in an early ice storm on near new Nitto ridge grapplers and I was okay, but never want to do it again. I can more comfortably drive at higher speeds with dedicated snows even the moderately priced ones, but would give the edge to the bfg at if you find yourself in deep fresh snow. I have yet to find a winter tire that can brake on ice as well as studded snows. In areas that stay below freezing studs aren't really needed, but I drive a lot of areas that get warm in the day long enough to melt snow only to freeze up agaim so ice is common.I run studs. I've run the same winter tire in a studdable as studded and non studded and will say I notice no difference most of the time, but on ice the studs stop me a bit faster. As far as the op question the pirellis should do fine for the first year with full tread as long as you drive for the conditions, but after that I'd keep them out of the snow and get something else. Either an all terrain like the bfg or get snow tires. Also to note snow tires have 2 different wear bars. Once you reach the first they are no longer snow rated and once you reach the second they're worn out for any road use.

Last edited:

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the seven best they did not include cooper so thats not a true At snow versus all season and winter tire test. cooper at3 4s tires are very good having driven with michelen and bf goodrich
He responded to a comment and will be doing the Coopers at a later date.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I had nitto ridge grapplers great in the snow and dry, rain..was ehh they were ok … wheel bearing ate two tires up on me and now I have the falken wildpeaks so far lil bit more noise on dry roads, but better in the rain and we have not had enough snow yet for me to judge them yet … slushy 1-3” of snow the falkens seem to be good still waiting for a good storm to go out and play in …

Rambo71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been running the Pirelli's for a year and half. Had some growing pains with balancing, but Road Force Balance cured that issue. I run the stock 275/65/20s, good wet/dry/winter traction. I live in the Lower Shenandoah Valley hills in Virginia, plenty of snow and ice, more ice lately, but they've been great so far.