Adding Bed Weight for Winter Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are better than a roof top tent for the things we want to do (ie camp in grizzly country) or where it gets cold
I hear ya. I guess if I had a lot more of a need for one i’d have a different opinion but I still don’t like how they look on a truck. I figured if I wanted the full-size SUV look, Id just get one.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How much is too much without sacrificing MPG and/or wear and tear on the suspension or tires?
You left out one part of the equation - how much are you willing to sacrifice?

ANY amount will impact the above mentioned attributes. If you add an amount small enough to NOT sacrifice any of those attributes it's extremely unlikely to add enough benefit to be measurable, let alone noticeable.

That said, one of our employees has a fairly long, steep and not-very-smooth driveway, that he plows with his 2500. He has a concrete block that he puts in the back (behind the axle for maximum effect) every winter. Not sure on the weight but it's probably 600-700#. He claims it makes a big difference, but he also tends to exaggerate.

Cruzrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
I knew a few guy's who would load a couple of engines into the box and remove them in the spring, nowadays most people who have weight added to the rear use sand bag's for neat and clean weight that can be used for traction and reused the following year.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the lighting in the interior of your topper. Your truck kinda the better definition of a Truck being used as a Truck, Work Truck, nicely done. Mine, fits the definition of "Driveway Princess". lmao. :33::angels25:
Thank YOU! It’s been doing work…HVAC service, moving…up 3 long grades in both directions hauling the contents of my home, garage, and barn including tractor and implements, and some 4-wheeling…my driveway is gravel, mud, and my favorite…CLAY!

IMG_9317.jpeg

IMG_9421.jpegIMG_9416.jpeg

$300 a week in gas at about 8-9 mpg average in the hills!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
…up 3 long grades in both directions ...
Reminds me of my Dad. He walked to school through 3 feet of snow, up hill in both directions.

Well, that's according to HIM.

According to his brother, their mother would sometimes take my Dad to school on her bicycle (1930s Germany).

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not sure wat I like more, the tractor or the 01/02 Trans AM
No question here. Now if it were a '69 T/A the answer would be different, though I don't really have a "need" for either, as I already have a Kubota B3030 Cab with Backhoe and a '06 Boxster S.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing that filling on-road tires with tractor type ballast (CaCl, beet juice, foam etc) is not feasible...
What was the reason behind that? I used to work at a tire shop years ago for a guy who had a little miniature version of Tractor Supply and did all sorts of different tires ranging from heavy equipment to tractors, semi trucks and passenger cars and one day a guy brought a tractor tire in and before we could screw with it he had to pump all the calcium chloride out of the tire and when I asked what that was for, he said it was for weight. Or at least that’s what I thought I said but this was well over 20 years ago I might not remember exactly what he said it was for. I think I do remember him saying it was for weight and I was like, what do you need to add weight to a tractor tire for when a tractor is already pretty heavy as it is….lol.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What was the reason behind that? I used to work at a tire shop years ago for a guy who had a little miniature version of Tractor Supply and did all sorts of different tires ranging from heavy equipment to tractors, semi trucks and passenger cars and one day a guy brought a tractor tire in and before we could screw with it he had to pump all the calcium chloride out of the tire and when I asked what that was for, he said it was for weight. Or at least that’s what I thought I said but this was well over 20 years ago I might not remember exactly what he said it was for. I think I do remember him saying it was for weight and I was like, what do you need to add weight to a tractor tire for when a tractor is already pretty heavy as it is….lol.
It's for weight down low so you don't roll it on slopes.especially if it has a loader bucket and or backhoe attachment that puts weight up high making it easy to roll. Also good in the rear tires for ballast on loaders to make it more stable with heavier loads up front. Usually not needed if just pulling trailers or implements that stay low.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't add weight when at home in the snow and never a problem, but the tonneau adds a bit of weight so I suppose I did add a little. Rollnlock is pretty heavy. Long trips for work all my tools add to easy 600lbs,but I don't find it helps traction.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Farm tractors / Loaders etc. all run ballasted tires,it's for traction in a field / construction site etc. ,you'll also see big ass wheel weights bolted to alot of the rims on top of the ballasted tires.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's for weight down low so you don't roll it on slopes.especially if it has a loader bucket and or backhoe attachment that puts weight up high making it easy to roll. Also good in the rear tires for ballast on loaders to make it more stable with heavier loads up front. Usually not needed if just pulling trailers or implements that stay low.
Farm tractors / Loaders etc. all run ballasted tires,it's for traction in a field / construction site etc. ,you'll also see big ass wheel weights bolted to alot of the rims on top of the ballasted tires.
We also steel ballast weights on the front - usually permanently installed - for those times when we're carrying a heavy load on the rear 3-point hitch.