Adding cooled seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was afraid of that. Was hoping I could just buy the blower assembly and add it to the existing seats.

Do you know where the seat blowers themselves plug in to? I didn't see any unused connections under the seat nor did I see any open receptacles on the modules under there?

Is there a wiring diagram available for it? If someone does have one could you email it to [email protected]

Thanks.

As 00/RT stated the cooled seats are completely different. They have different cushions with air channels built into them. The whole assembly is in a vacuum bag that the fans attach to that also go through your heated seat pads. It's actually a pretty elaborate little system. Your truck is pre-wired for the cooled seats but since you have heated seats you do not have the correct seat modules that's why you cannot find any connections for it. I have seen some companies that sell aftermarket seat cooling kits if you would even consider converting yours over I would go that way. If you want to keep it Factory though the best option is to find factory ventilated seats as he stated. I may still have my schematics if I can find them I'll email them to you but I'm going to have to dig for them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I was afraid of that. Was hoping I could just buy the blower assembly and add it to the existing seats.

Do you know where the seat blowers themselves plug in to? I didn't see any unused connections under the seat nor did I see any open receptacles on the modules under there?

Is there a wiring diagram available for it? If someone does have one could you email it to [email protected]

Thanks.

I'm not even sure how you'd mount them to your seats since the cloth seats have a different overall shape and different foam than the leather ones.

Aside from that you'd also need new seat harnesses since yours don't have the required wiring. You never see the parts sold separately used, so you'd have to go new from the dealer. That gets really pricy really quickly.

Here's what the cooling system looks like. It's an open cell pad with a fan under the seat.

dfa0355f2b98539da455122915a3ed1e.jpg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As 00/RT stated the cooled seats are completely different. They have different cushions with air channels built into them. The whole assembly is in a vacuum bag that the fans attach to that also go through your heated seat pads. It's actually a pretty elaborate little system. Your truck is pre-wired for the cooled seats but since you have heated seats you do not have the correct seat modules that's why you cannot find any connections for it. I have seen some companies that sell aftermarket seat cooling kits if you would even consider converting yours over I would go that way. If you want to keep it Factory though the best option is to find factory ventilated seats as he stated. I may still have my schematics if I can find them I'll email them to you but I'm going to have to dig for them.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I was thinking it was just a add on blower but it's really a completely different seat design. Guess I'll see if I can come across a set of seat somewhere and go that route if I decide to go forward with the project.

Appreciate it!

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, you guys are great for finding this stuff out and sharing it!

I've been reading through this post for a few days trying to get some info.
I have a 2017 dodge ram black express. I have cloth manual seats with airbags. I'm going to be purchasing 2015 laramie power front seats with heat and cool. I looked under my seat and have 1 yellow, and 3 grey connectors but i only have like 5 wires coming out of the yellow and probably double the amount on the new seat. First i was happy when i read on here that if I had multiple connectors it means i have the correct wiring but doesn't look like i do. Do i have to run new wiring, new harnesses to get the heat/cool feature to work? Would i also need need new connectors or will the 1 from my floor plug into the new seat?
I will not be attempting to re-wire this truck and will probably bring to a car audio guy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 16 Express, sounds like the same seats you have. I added seats from a Big Horn... just heated, power and heated wheel. You will have some wiring to do, no matter what you add, but you have all the basics you need. And if a rookie like me can do it, anyone can. Get a hold of M2 Mods (vendor on the site) great guys and will hook you up with everything you need.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
First, you guys are great for finding this stuff out and sharing it!

I've been reading through this post for a few days trying to get some info.
I have a 2017 dodge ram black express. I have cloth manual seats with airbags. I'm going to be purchasing 2015 laramie power front seats with heat and cool. I looked under my seat and have 1 yellow, and 3 grey connectors but i only have like 5 wires coming out of the yellow and probably double the amount on the new seat. First i was happy when i read on here that if I had multiple connectors it means i have the correct wiring but doesn't look like i do. Do i have to run new wiring, new harnesses to get the heat/cool feature to work? Would i also need need new connectors or will the 1 from my floor plug into the new seat?
I will not be attempting to re-wire this truck and will probably bring to a car audio guy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Zeppa007,
My M² Mods partner, @Deereguy handles the heated/cooled seat wiring. He is currently out of town until Wednesday, but he will be able to answer any questions about your exact install and would be the one to make you a custom harness to get everything working correctly.

I will send you a PM with his email. If you can wait a few days (if not, that's fine too) send him your email/contact info and also pictures of the relevant connectors.

Mike G.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Off to a great start.. Thanks guys!

We’ll get you all sorted out. We’ve come a LONG way in the past year. The M2 guys stepped up in a big way to take the stuff we figured out and make it more accessible to others with their custom harnesses.

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 16 Express, sounds like the same seats you have. I added seats from a Big Horn... just heated, power and heated wheel. You will have some wiring to do, no matter what you add, but you have all the basics you need. And if a rookie like me can do it, anyone can. Get a hold of M2 Mods (vendor on the site) great guys and will hook you up with everything you need.

Thx... i sent Mike D an email.
I'm assuming you had to add their wiring pins into your connector. How do you know where everything goes, are the wires labeled or colour coded?
Step one i pulled the rear seats out, now if only everything was that easy. :)
Tomorrow I'm installing the front seats. If i don't hook up the air bag connector will i throw off any error codes that will prevent me from driving the truck?

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We’ll get you all sorted out. We’ve come a LONG way in the past year. The M2 guys stepped up in a big way to take the stuff we figured out and make it more accessible to others with their custom harnesses.

Thx I'm excited!
Yea, I've noticed.. been reading since the beginning of the thread. If there's a will theres a way!

You don't realize what you have till its gone.. I'm coming from a fully loaded chevy avalanche LTZ and going to a bare bone black express, it hurts! No fold mirrors, no front/rear sensors, no cameras, no NAV, no remote starter, no power heated/cooled seats, no sunroof! OMG what was i thinking.. Anyways hopefully by end of the month everything but the sunroof will be installed.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I kind of did the same thing when I went from my loaded Silverado to my Express 4x4. As 00/RT stated we have made a lot of progress in the past year. You should be able to plug your new seats in to your existing plugs. Your truck will not have the extra grey plug that your new drivers seat will have. You won't have any power going to your drivers seat so you will not be able to adjust it. If you run a positive wire to the solid red wire and a ground to the black wire in the yellow connector on the drivers seat you will be able to adjust the seat. We have schematics and all the information you will need to do the conversion once you have M2 Mods make your harness it's actually pretty simple. There are several of us that can walk you through it and depending upon where you live there might be somebody near you that has the tool to add the codes to your truck in order for them to work properly. If there is no one near you with the tool you may have to buy an OBD Genie to install the codes in your truck. I am not sure if you have found the other thread yet but we also did a write-up on how to install heated ventilated seats and heated wheel on an Express/ Tradesman there's a lot of information in there as well.

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the rear seats in and the driver seat. Because i already had katzkin heated seats there's already a red power with 12v, i just need to figure out which pin it goes into on the yellow connector for the power seats. On the yellow connector i have red/yellow and then black underneath and on the opposite side i have solid red and red/yellow underneath. I wanted to think the 12v would be red/yellow thats above the black but not sure. anyone know off hand or have a correct pin out diagram for the yellow connector?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the rear seats in and the driver seat. Because i already had katzkin heated seats there's already a red power with 12v, i just need to figure out which pin it goes into on the yellow connector for the power seats. On the yellow connector i have red/yellow and then black underneath and on the opposite side i have solid red and red/yellow underneath. I wanted to think the 12v would be red/yellow thats above the black but not sure. anyone know off hand or have a correct pin out diagram for the yellow connector?
Shoot me a PM with your email address and I will see if I can forward the schematics to you.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On your drivers seat you want the yellow plug pin# 1 solid red wire and pin# 14 solid black wire. The two pink/yellow wires in the yellow drivers side plug are for the heated/vented seat function. You will hook all of that up with your harness from M2 Mods. Passenger side seat yellow plug is pin# 14 solid red and pin# 21 solid black. Hooking this up to 12 volt power will simply make the seats where they are adjustable it will not activate any other functions.

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After i posted i was thinking that solid red was probably 12v and not pink/yellow.
Thx

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After i posted i was thinking that solid red was probably 12v and not pink/yellow.
Thx
OK I sent you the schematics. Let me know if you get them.

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK I sent you the schematics. Let me know if you get them.

I got them thx.

All seats installed. power working on the front but seems an intermittent problem with the driver side. Just stops working, then i shake the yellow connector and starts to work. Might be an issue with a loose wire on the seat connector.
Any thoughts?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got them thx.

All seats installed. power working on the front but seems an intermittent problem with the driver side. Just stops working, then i shake the yellow connector and starts to work. Might be an issue with a loose wire on the seat connector.
Any thoughts?
Best advice would be to double-check all your connections and work backwards from there until you find the problem. Not sure if you have a multimeter but if you do it helps a lot.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got them thx.

Any thoughts?

100% a connector issues somewhere. Check all your pins and wiring.

Zeppa007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Making progress every day and starting to enjoy the transformation.

-front seats installed with power only (waiting for Mike to build wire harness)
-removed the jumper seat and installed larmie center console
-removed uconnect 5.0 touchscreen screen and installed kenwood touchscreen with NAV
-removed stock mirrors and installed power fold/turn signals/puddle light mirrors.
-removed stock door speakers and installed Kicker 6x9's
-installed front and rear camera
-installed 3 button remote starter

I have an appointment with my Dealer to flash codes for the mirrors and maybe for seats.

Does anyone know the sales codes for heated/cooled/memory seats?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500