Advice Need - Looking to buy 1996 Ram 1500 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

num1hitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking at a 1996 1500 5.9 automatic 4x4, long bed. Any advice to what I should look at regarding possible problems with the truck. It has 165000 miles and is an automatic. Says tranny shifts smoothly, should I be weary at that mileage? Owner says the only issue is surface rust in multiple spots on body. No other problems are reported. Any advice would be much appreciated!

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
165k miles are nothing to worry about as long as it has had a rebuilt tranny. if it hasnt yet it is in your very near future

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Condition of the trans fluid can tell you a lot. If it appears dark but doesn't have a burnt odor is usually the best to see indicating it hasn't been serviced in a while so you know no one has had the pan off trying to deal with problems and if its been in there a while without developing a noticeable odor its usually a sign the clutches and converter are in good shape.
Check the coolant for odd smells. Look at the ball joints to see if they have been replaced at that milage they either have been or need to be.
My recommendation when buying a used vehicle is always to take it to a trusted shop for a buyers inspection. Most will do it for under $100 and any problems they find can be used as leverage on the price.

OP
OP
N

num1hitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Condition of the trans fluid can tell you a lot. If it appears dark but doesn't have a burnt odor is usually the best to see indicating it hasn't been serviced in a while so you know no one has had the pan off trying to deal with problems and if its been in there a while without developing a noticeable odor its usually a sign the clutches and converter are in good shape.
Check the coolant for odd smells. Look at the ball joints to see if they have been replaced at that milage they either have been or need to be.
My recommendation when buying a used vehicle is always to take it to a trusted shop for a buyers inspection. Most will do it for under $100 and any problems they find can be used as leverage on the price.

Thanks for the great info. The price is $1500 which seems very reasonable to me.

The tranny is most concerning to me with the mileage and the owner saying nothing has been done.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Thanks for the great info. The price is $1500 which seems very reasonable to me.

The tranny is most concerning to me with the mileage and the owner saying nothing has been done.
When the owner says that he probably means he hasn't done **** to it lol. Iv seen autos go to 300k. It's all in how you drive it, maintain it, and care for it. If you buy it I'd put new shift solenoids in it, new fluid and filter, new torque converter. Do that and it may last. Thier good trucks and everybody downs the trannys and some are complete **** but some are a gem as well......take care of it and it'll take care of you....

I have my 1996 dodge ram. Bought it 6 years ago. I drive it like a bat out of hell. I speed iv towed stuff that most wouldn't even put behind a cummins. Had weight on it so heavy it bent the leaf springs. I drove it all over the east and south sides of these united states. The automatic lasted great up until September 2014. AND It Had enough....So I thought. The trans did not blow....It was my transfer case. I swapped it to the nv4500 5 speed anyway. My auto is still good.

ALL BECAUSE I TOOK CARE OF IT. it rebuilt a long time ago. Tho

Change the fluid every 15k mi and change the solenoids and torque converter every 100k or so.

Last edited:

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
Oh and it's best to change the plenum gasket if it shows any signs of leaking.

very common on this engine. If left unattended it will drink all of the oil and make a problem a BIG problem.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
very common on this engine. If left unattended it will drink all of the oil and make a problem a BIG problem.
Just look in the throttle body and if you see oil pooling in the intake then it's time to change it.....

But don't let these 2 main issues drive you away they are very good trucks and not to mention if they have good paint thier sexy as hell!

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Everything he said is king. But I would not take it to a professional chain shop. They will sell u kanuder valve, tire bearings for your rims, blinker fluid, muffler bearings, tell you your tire should be screwed back on the rim, etc.
(None of that exist)

Go to an old mom and pop shop (aka the little man) thier mostly honest shops lol