Advice needed from experienced Negotiators with factory ordering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Past owner of a 2015 Laramie - I’m looking at a new 2020 or a used 2018-2020. One option I’m thinking is going to play out is getting a factory order. I want the newer Hydro Blue with Level 1, Sport, 3.92, Anti slip, trailer tow, etc. it’s very hard to find one around here that fits those requirements.

For those who ordered before - how did you word your email to your dealers? I want these ___ options and I want it at ____ price?? Of course incentives are part of it too at the date of the delivery. So ask for the price locked at this price point or just ask for 20% off. I know the general rule of thumb is 20% off MSRP. Just didn’t want insult or act arrogant during these times. Just wondering how guys that did this in the past did it with success.

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One basic approach Is to contact the internet sales at all the dealers within reasonable driving distance, and request their best offer on your specs.

Once you see the spread, make a lower offer to the lowest couple or three, and state you are ready to purchase now from the first one to accept. Then wait...

Hitting the new car sites such as Edmonds and TrueCar will give you a good feel for a good deal.

This is but one of many avenues and strategies to buying a vehicle at a fair and comfortable price.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Are you trading anything in? That complicates things. There are some nationally known dealers like Dillon who make it worthwhile to travel.

I have ordered and travelled a thousand miles plus one way to pick it up and drive home. I’ve also located distant vehicles in stock and purchased them. In some cases fly and drive, in others bought from a local dealer who did a dealer trade and transported it in.

I think you’ll have more leverage on an in stock vehicle. Dealers are looking at floor plan bills and getting really antsy by now.

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Are you trading anything in? That complicates things. There are some nationally known dealers like Dillon who make it worthwhile to travel.

I have ordered and travelled a thousand miles plus one way to pick it up and drive home. I’ve also located distant vehicles in stock and purchased them. In some cases fly and drive, in others bought from a local dealer who did a dealer trade and transported it in.

I think you’ll have more leverage on an in stock vehicle. Dealers are looking at floor plan bills and getting really antsy by now.

Yes I do have a trade in but I can get a trade via a CarMax or Carvana. It would help with the sales tax to take the cost of the trade in off the cost of truck to reduce the tax. Is that what you mean - it complicates things?

Yeah. I found similar ones (non sports) in the color I like and ones in sport with the second color choice on dealer lots within 100 miles.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is what I just did. I built my truck (pictured below with description) on the Dodge Truck website and at the bottom of the page there is a link to submit what you just built for a quote. It goes to your local dealer or you can send the build it page link to any dealer you want. I went back and forth with a couple of dealers and ended up ordering it from one of them. This was on 12/28/19 that I did this and I picked up my truck on 2/19/20. It's very easy and you don't have to leave your house. Good luck. Hopefully this shutdown ends soon and you're able to actually order.

Red

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
You can generally get dealers fairly close on selling prices. The huge issue will be the trade. With a trade, all you should concern yourself with is the difference figure. Who cares what the selling and trade numbers are as long as they get to your difference number. Come up with a number you can live with, order the truck and go on with life. There's a lot of inventory and there should be a truck equipped how you want. A dealer will "deal" better on a "now" sale as opposed as an order. The trade value might not be guanteed.

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
You can generally get dealers fairly close on selling prices. The huge issue will be the trade. With a trade, all you should concern yourself with is the difference figure. Who cares what the selling and trade numbers are as long as they get to your difference number. Come up with a number you can live with, order the truck and go on with life. There's a lot of inventory and there should be a truck equipped how you want. A dealer will "deal" better on a "now" sale as opposed as an order. The trade value might not be guanteed.

[mention]Travelin Ram [/mention] [mention]Papa Red [/mention]

So I got my numbers back from Craig who is amazing by the way - 8% below invoice (15% off MSRP) + any rebates at time of delivery. If factories open next month on schedule - looking like a late June early July truck...I’m thinking with all the delays probably July truck.

Did some searching for a July rebates in the past - not sure if they are any help as this is an unique year. Most were at least $3,000 - hitting that 20% off at minimum.

Should I wait for that it’s a Labor Day arrival or just get the order in and hope for the best?

Wish like many of us - had a crystal ball to know the rebates...

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you like what he says order your truck. I did all my negotiations via email so I had it all in writing. Good luck and lets hope the factories open on time.

Red

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Yes I do have a trade in but I can get a trade via a CarMax or Carvana. It would help with the sales tax to take the cost of the trade in off the cost of truck to reduce the tax. Is that what you mean - it complicates things?

Yeah. I found similar ones (non sports) in the color I like and ones in sport with the second color choice on dealer lots within 100 miles.

Think I;d wait for more incentives due to this Economy.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Before you order... go to the below website. Put in your exact search criteria and see if you can find it. You will get a better deal on a lot vehicle than an ordered one. Even if you have to drive a bit. I bought my Camaro from Tampa and I am in Charlotte. Found the car did the deal over email, text and phone. Drove down picked it up and had a blast driving home.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/lineup.sn...7rF8Kr8bXOufddHFx4RoCplMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
Before you order... go to the below website. Put in your exact search criteria and see if you can find it. You will get a better deal on a lot vehicle than an ordered one. Even if you have to drive a bit. I bought my Camaro from Tampa and I am in Charlotte. Found the car did the deal over email, text and phone. Drove down picked it up and had a blast driving home.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/lineup.sn...7rF8Kr8bXOufddHFx4RoCplMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
That is what I did. You can search 150 miles I think but I just put in zip codes from other areas. I found mine 2.5 hours away w a dealer that sells everything except the Redeye at invoice minus rebate. MSRP was 63k, I paid 47k. I sent 3 pics of my trade and they gave me 22k about 2k more than expected. Your best tool is to play each dealer against another for about the same truck. Hell, send them the link or email of the better price. Right now, new vehicle sales are taking a beating.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Orders are backed up hard with the factories shut down. I ordered mine and it got delayed. I called my local dealer and told them what I ordered and put them to work.

One day later, they called with four hits on my exact order spec minus the color.

I pit three dealers against each other and ended up paying 7k less than I would have if I ordered.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Ordered trucks will be delayed beyond just the Covid shut down because the Borg Warner plant in SC was badly damaged by a tornado a couple of weeks ago. That'll delay all of the Big 3
I do not think Chevy uses them

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Just make sure you 100% negotiate EVERY charge and cost before ordering. I got hit with some added "dealer fees" that I had not negotiated before signing the order agreement. $500 for damn paper work my ___