After Market Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machonodak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2017 Big Horn with 33800 miles. Looking for constructive ideas on which if any after market extension warranty I should buy. I plan on driving the truck 5-7 more years with less than 10k per year.
Thanks in advance.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What Luau said
IMO I'd stay away from third party ones.
ALSO
do your research on pricing, prices differ from dealer to dealer and place to place.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^True that.

Pay cash. For everything. Unless you're living in it.

With the big jump the stock market took in the last month, the warranty companies made a LOT of money off of other people's money. In turn, they'll make money off of that money. Compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world.

Bobw4email

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm almost identical to you. Just bought my 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab about a month ago. 31k miles

I used this dealer when I bought extended warranty for my Jeep Renegade.
https://www.jeepfactorywarranty.com/components-covered/
New Renegade warranty was $1240, 7year/75k miles, $100 deductible. Much cheaper than dealer I originally purchased through.

Called them for a quote on Ram
Max care 8year/100k miles, $100 deductible was <$1800. Care Plus was about $1100

Not sure if I will do it as mine already has 70k mile Power train warranty being Certified Preowned.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I have a 2017 Big Horn with 33800 miles. Looking for constructive ideas on which if any after market extension warranty I should buy. I plan on driving the truck 5-7 more years with less than 10k per year.
Thanks in advance.
I went with Mopar. My primary reasons were that I got a good offer on a 3/36 that began the day my original 3/36 ended and that the warranty would be in the dealer system nationally without having to confirm anything from a third party vendor at the time of service.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The only way I would go 3rd party is if I owned a Canadian Registered Ram returned to the US. I had one and went third party, just in case, I didn't use it and got part of the money back but bought a Mopar service plan for my 19 Laramie. I figure that I have more options to get the truck repaired if I had to deal with FCA than a warranty company that has one point of contact.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I worked in the warranty industry and I would not recommend any 3rd party warranty. Self-insure if you can. If you absolutely can't, get an OEM warranty. Mopar in this case.

Briefly, when you buy a warranty you are paying for three layers of administration costs and profit (underwriter, administrator, and retailer) as well as the anticipated repair costs. You're paying a premium to reduce your risk. With a 3rd party vendor, if they go under you're warranty is worthless. Most (all?) also have language forcing you into arbitration if there's a dispute on if something is covered. OEMs aren't going anywhere (see: Too big to fail) so you're at least not opening yourself to that risk.

TwinSuns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Definitely stick with FCA / Mopar warranties. My buddy had a third party one through Portfolio I believe, and was nothing but a hassle. There was basically no recourse for him because it wasn’t through FCA / Mopar.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^Twin's Buddy had a horrible experience with an extended warranty, yet he still advocates buying one of the stupid things. I don't think for one second that either one of those guys are stupid.

What's really going on is EWs have been accepted some kind of necessity. I think it's because of very clever advertising (and LOTS of it) by some very clever swindlers.

Every one of those commercials or phone calls....phone calls are the WORST, start out trying to scare you. "What would you do if?" Then they paint some disastrous scenario. Then the real BS: "Get peace of mind by sending thousands of dollars of your hard earned money to us. Pay in advance for something that probably won't even happen. We're smarter than you, we'll take care of you."

The subliminal message is You're going to get something for nothing. Yeah, good luck with that.

TwinSuns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^Twin's Buddy had a horrible experience with an extended warranty, yet he still advocates buying one of the stupid things. I don't think for one second that either one of those guys are stupid.

What's really going on is EWs have been accepted some kind of necessity. I think it's because of very clever advertising (and LOTS of it) by some very clever swindlers.

Every one of those commercials or phone calls....phone calls are the WORST, start out trying to scare you. "What would you do if?" Then they paint some disastrous scenario. Then the real BS: "Get peace of mind by sending thousands of dollars of your hard earned money to us. Pay in advance for something that probably won't even happen. We're smarter than you, we'll take care of you."

The subliminal message is You're going to get something for nothing. Yeah, good luck with that.

I think you are misunderstanding what I said. I’m not advocating for purchasing anything. I was saying if a purchase was going to happen no matter what, I most certainly not go 3rd party. I’ve never bought an extended warranty or would I ever. Stealerships and corporations have never done me right, I do as much maintenance myself as I can, and have trusted independent mechanics I have do everything else