Aftermarket amp connections for sub in 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8.4" screen
Alpine system

Everything is bone stock; I'm just adding an amp for a 12" sub.

My question is, should I use an LC2i or a PAC C2A-CHY? I've seen differing answers on the forum, and just want to make sure I get the best sound I can (not clipped sound from the stock processor).

If I can use the LC2i without issue, do I tap into the leads for the rear speakers, or the sub?

Thanks for the help!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CHY is for older, you would need the AP4... which is highly recommended. However the LC2i works too... just not as well.

OP
OP
T

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for 1/2 the price of the AP4, I'll deal with the LC2i.
Do I tap the rear speaker leads or sub lead?

Thanks

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do sub. If you ever plan on adding an amp for the door speakers, the AP4 is well worth the money... it gives you a pure signal.

OP
OP
T

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm only adding beat, so the LC2i should be fine.

sub is grey / white wire? any idea which is + and which is - ?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Just check them before you disconnect from the factory sub

The accu Bass function helps with roll off, as long a s the bar is not to high you should be happy with the LC2i

Jeffmiller32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did my install this weekend. After looking at countless video and posts I went with the PAC AmpPRO. It is worth the extra cost just for the ease of use. No cutting or hacking required. Zero distortion or roll off up to full volume.

Plus if you want to go back to stock in the future it is easy to. Also it will set you up if you want to add speakers and a 4 channel in the future. I ran 3 sets of RCAs back even though I currently just have the sub setup.

92565DE1-19C1-4691-AEF1-2C116968D5DA.jpeg

78B6A903-FBED-4E5B-B913-190F11CA3CED.jpeg

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did my install this weekend. After looking at countless video and posts I went with the PAC AmpPRO. It is worth the extra cost just for the ease of use. No cutting or hacking required. Zero distortion or roll off up to full volume.

Plus if you want to go back to stock in the future it is easy to. Also it will set you up if you want to add speakers and a 4 channel in the future. I ran 3 sets of RCAs back even though I currently just have the sub setup.

Good choice and way to think ahead!

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
No doubt, now you won't have any re-work if you want to take it to the next level ......... :waytogo:

maddog49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you mind posting up everything you bought for the project including the sub box, sub and amp? Also pics of the final mounting spots with any notes you think would be helpful? I'll be doing the same project somewhat soon but have not researched everything yet. Figured this gives me a head start. Thanks!

Jeffmiller32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you mind posting up everything you bought for the project including the sub box, sub and amp? Also pics of the final mounting spots with any notes you think would be helpful? I'll be doing the same project somewhat soon but have not researched everything yet. Figured this gives me a head start. Thanks!

It was pretty easy. Everything comes apart pretty easily.

Running the JL stealthbox to a Rockford 750.1 prime amp. Have the AmpPRO and ran all the RCAs on the passenger side. The AmpPRO also has a remote wire turn on ran that with the power wire down the drivers side.

I’ve also got an audio control 4 channel that I’m having installed this weekend. Never wired a 4 channel without an aftermarket headunit so I’m having a local shop mess with all that. Got kickers In the dash and all the doors.

4 channel mounted under the passenger side and mono in the middle.

OP
OP
T

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice install.

Back to my question regarding the wires to tap into for the LC2i... There are 4 wires going to the stock sub; any idea which set of two I should use, and of those, which is + and which is -?

Cykotherapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Crazy idea:

I bought the 8" Pioneer sub and dropped it in the stock box like so many people. I threw some leftover soundskin deadener in the box and stuffed it with poly. Predictably, I'm still not satisfied and have decided I need to at least amp it separately and give it a chance to do its thing.

Now...since I'm buying an amp anyway...what if I threw the original sub back in its home and left it on the stock amp AND figured out a box for the Pioneer to mount it on the driver's side with a mono amp and LC2i? Bam, Dual 8"'s relatively cheap. They might not be as good as one quality 10, but I get to keep my cargo panels, which are very important to me.

A problem with this plan is finding a 8in sub box that will fit in that very small space. I actually found this jeep wheelwell box that might work if braced/fitted properly in the space.

I think buying a custom box is cost prohibitive for me at this point; at least if I wanted to stay happily married it is.

Advice is welcome.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
That might fit behind the seat

I( was looking at the 5" wedge and that was to tight as you loose significant space when opening and closing the seats
get down to around 3" , but that is a little above the floor level

but they have no dimensions at all on that site ???