Aftermarket Deck to Android Auto Wireless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey has anyone had issues with the "handshake" when Android Auto and your deck try to wireless connect?

I have a Kenwood DMX1057 which was working flawlessly. Then randomly I think after an AA update it started having wireless connection issues. Works perfect wired.

The deck uses wifi to send out a signal which AA should automatically detect and connect to. This isn't the type of wifi you should need to click or put a password, its an automated process.

It detects wifi but then claims it can't connect and needs a password. If you enter the password directly off the head unit (12345678), it then claims its the incorrect password. Then you click connect again and it works fine and states android auto connected to wifi.

So i have to keep trying to connect twice every single time. Works fine, but doesn't do it automatically. Annoying more than anything considering I spent like $1500 on the set up.

I have updated to the Dec 2020 firmware from Kenwood. Which made the UI super smooth, but still does the wireless connection issue. Honestly I think the issue is on Android end not Kenwood but not sure?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey has anyone had issues with the "handshake" when Android Auto and your deck try to wireless connect?

I have a Kenwood DMX1057 which was working flawlessly. Then randomly I think after an AA update it started having wireless connection issues. Works perfect wired.

The deck uses wifi to send out a signal which AA should automatically detect and connect to. This isn't the type of wifi you should need to click or put a password, its an automated process.

It detects wifi but then claims it can't connect and needs a password. If you enter the password directly off the head unit (12345678), it then claims its the incorrect password. Then you click connect again and it works fine and states android auto connected to wifi.

So i have to keep trying to connect twice every single time. Works fine, but doesn't do it automatically. Annoying more than anything considering I spent like $1500 on the set up.

I have updated to the Dec 2020 firmware from Kenwood. Which made the UI super smooth, but still does the wireless connection issue. Honestly I think the issue is on Android end not Kenwood but not sure?
You can undo the latest AA update and install the previous version manually via apk file. I often install the latest beta to fix issues too.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can undo the latest AA update and install the previous version manually via apk file. I often install the latest beta to fix issues too.

Would be worth trying and give it a shot. I'm not 100% sure that was the issue. Not sure if its the phone or the deck. The HU throws out its wifi and the phone has the issue connecting so I think its Androids issue. I'll try that.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Would be worth trying and give it a shot. I'm not 100% sure that was the issue. Not sure if its the phone or the deck. The phone throws out its wifi and the phone has the issue connecting so I think its Androids issue. I'll try that.
For me its always AA's issue.