Aftermarket fog light fuse tap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

I'm installing aftermarket fog lights in my 08 Ram 1500. I want to connect the power wire from the light switch to the fuse box with a fuse tap. The harness that came with the lights has an in line 15 amp fuse that comes off the relay and will get connected to the battery. My question is, does it matter to which amperage fuse that I connect the switch power wire to?

Thanks

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Normally the taps use a 5 to 10 amp fuse. I had to go wit 15 amp fuses due to the others blowing. It will depend upon the relay used. A heavy duty relay will need a higher rated fuse. Check to see if the relay has a requirement or not. If it does not say what amp fuse it requires start with a 10 amp and go up from there if it blows fast.

OP
OP
C

carealot7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tap package says to use up to 10 amps. Is it a big deal to go to 15 amps without melting wires, etc?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Most wire taps come with 12 gauge wire which will handle 20 amps easy. I have 4 relays running off one tap and have never had a single problem.