Aftermarket Headunit installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kzlife76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 with the UAA radio. I have to say, it sounds fine but there are some head scratchers when it comes to functionality. Like, why can't it just default to the last source that was used instead switching back to the radio every time I get in.

So my question is, If I want to put in an aftermarket headunit with android auto, is there a specific wiring harness I need to be able to use the back up camera? Also, what happens to the settings for the truck that have to be set from the radio? Can I still change those on an aftermarket headunit?

I know some vehicles will have a box that the factory harness plugs into and the box handles interfacing with the radio or bypassing certain features.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
These PAC and Metra kits look real nice for installing aftermarket radios. I probably would have gone that way if they were available when I did the RA2 to UAQ upgrade in my truck. The PAC kit seems to retain the most stock features plus it adds some gauges, up to 4 additional cameras with a $30 add-on harness and assigning the hard buttons to additional features.

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement-kits/rpk4-ch4101
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-6527B

These guys sell a complete kit with a pretty nice Alpine radio and the install kit for $800.
https://creativeaudio.net/alpinebdl191224-07/

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 with the UAA radio. I have to say, it sounds fine but there are some head scratchers when it comes to functionality. Like, why can't it just default to the last source that was used instead switching back to the radio every time I get in.

So my question is, If I want to put in an aftermarket headunit with android auto, is there a specific wiring harness I need to be able to use the back up camera? Also, what happens to the settings for the truck that have to be set from the radio? Can I still change those on an aftermarket headunit?

I know some vehicles will have a box that the factory harness plugs into and the box handles interfacing with the radio or bypassing certain features.
As long as the head unit you get is idata maestro compatible, you pick up the HU, along with idata maestro RR, and a ch3 harness. This will retain all your on screen settings, and your back up cam.
Now for HU:
Kenwood makes some really nice ones, t by e excelon line being second to none.
Pioneer has some really nice stuff
Alpine makes a few too
Sony has I believe one of two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Have you looked at crutchfield.com. I have a 2018 Tradesman and I was able to enter my info into the site and buy everything I needed all in one place.

In my case I bought a pre wired harness and you will also need a module to connect to all the truck menu features, steering wheel controls, etc.

OP
OP
kzlife76

kzlife76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good information. Thanks. I've been out of the car stereo game for a while. I know that it's getting harder to replace head units with all of the integrated features.

OP
OP
kzlife76

kzlife76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have you looked at crutchfield.com. I have a 2018 Tradesman and I was able to enter my info into the site and buy everything I needed all in one place.

In my case I bought a pre wired harness and you will also need a module to connect to all the truck menu features, steering wheel controls, etc.

Crutchfield says, we do not recommend replacing the stock head unit.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crutchfield says, we do not recommend replacing the stock head unit.
Yeah, if it’s for a 2019 1500 5th gen (not a classic), I don’t think anyone has figured out how to retain the backup camera. Here’s the latest instructions for the idatalink maestro- pRPZZ1V.jpg
I would call them though and ask them about it. I imagine they say that because the 8.4 radios use a digital camera with a coax cable, but *I believe* the base 5” radio still uses the old camera with with the 3 wires in the back of the radio connector. If that’s the case, I’m not seeing why the maestro can’t retain the backup camera.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, if it’s for a 2019 1500 5th gen (not a classic), I don’t think anyone has figured out how to retain the backup camera. Here’s the latest instructions for the idatalink maestro- pRPZZ1V.jpg
I would call them though and ask them about it. I imagine they say that because the 8.4 radios use a digital camera with a coax cable, but *I believe* the base 5” radio still uses the old camera with with the 3 wires in the back of the radio connector. If that’s the case, I’m not seeing why the maestro can’t retain the backup camera.

1500 and 2500? I have a 2500 with basic ***** HU, and want to replace, just worried it wont work. I did CH-3 in my '13, best move ever!

Does it retain factory USB? I could care less about the camera TBH

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone actually done this, i want to but dont wanna be guinea pig

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, so this post is for anyone who has been banging their head against the wall looking for a harness. You don't need a harness, you need an interface. The maestro RR for the RAM 1500 is what is needed. I sent an email to idatalink Maestro to see if they make an interface that will work with any universal android head unit such as the joying head unit. I'm hoping they come back with good news. I will update when I hear back.

EDIT:
Hello Cory, and thank you for reaching out to us.
Unfortunately we cannot support Joying Android head units, the lack the data connection needed.
I have included a link to our website showing the Maestro compatible radios.
https://www.idatalinkmaestro.com/en/compatible-products/radios
Best regards.
Angelo Agiomavritis | Customer Experience Agent
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, Montreal, Quebec H4P 2G1 Canada

E [email protected]

Looks like our trucks still don't have a solution for aftermarket "universal" radios. Let me know if you find anything!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93